Author Topic: Liking 140mm  (Read 2549 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Liking 140mm
« on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 20:33:31 »
For CPU towers, the 140 extends lower towards the board than 120s,  this exposed blade area greatly improves motherboard VRM cooling.

Definitely going with 140 from here on out.

Thoughts ?

280421-0

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Liking 140mm
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 20:36:24 »
I honestly prefer keeping the 140 for the rear, and 120 for the front fans.

At least in my relatively lacking experience building PCs, that just tickles my fancy.

Maybe you're right though and bigger is better

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 20:40:47 »
120 for ram clearance is required for alot of tall sinks. So 120 front may be more common.

But they also make Thin 140s, although they probably perform poorly in noise to pressure ratio

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 21:46:09 »
I think case clearance matters too.  I suspect some cases cut corners on CPU cooler depth now that a lot of people are just using a top-mount radiator.

I switched from a Scythe Mugen Max (1x140mm) to a Fuma 2 (2x120mm) and the performance wasn't a huge difference, but I think the latter fits in more cases.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 22:43:08 »
Young people have gone to the dark side (AIO)..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 05:58:00 »
Young and old are going into M1 Apple Silicon soon. No more silly huge CPU fan cooler needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 10:07:11 »
Young and old are going into M1 Apple Silicon soon. No more silly huge CPU fan cooler needed.

Hahaha..  I really think most peeps will go M1 too,  it's a plainly better product for the majority of normal users.

AMD zen 4 though, might turn some heads.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 18:28:36 »
Not M1
The new Microsoft chip.

Though I think I'll pass but not for the reasons you expect.  Most people are not ready for M1 or ARM, a lot of things, especially on Windows does not run well on it. My own concern is if it's a Microsoft product how much spyware is in it and what they would would do with it (see Surface Rt below). Surface RT was just Windows on ARM and almost nothing ran on it. If you want to try it today, fire up a Pi with the Windows image and see what all can run on it (ignoring speed of course). It took MS a YEAR and a half after release to bring Office to the Surface RT... By which time most users who bought it were furious at them and ditched the tablet and swore never to return (hence why the RT line is dead). How long will it be before your required software runs on it? It's not like Linux where there's 5 alternatives to pick from, they may all be garbage but at least you have options, unlike Windows on Arm. The irony here is you would have more software choices using the Linux subsystem and native Linux apps than native Windows.

While this may break us free of Intel and AMD (be careful what you wish for) we may be looking at major vendor lock, complete anarchy, or the end of Linux (less likely but they could try).
Vendor lock - What if MS decides in 2025 that Windows 12 (and is software as a service) will only support MS chips, similar to Apple. Unlikely I agree, but possible.
Anarchy - Dell, Razer, IBM, Asus, Samsung all release chips. This could be good for techies, a major pain in the you-know-what for non techies. This  one supports h265 natively, that one supports Thunderbolt 4, and that other one is the only one that supports both but is only half speed. Think USB is bad imagine this. We've had this in the past to an extent with limited supported Intel CPUs, Cyrix, VIA, Nvidia, and Transmeta but it was usually only one oddity at a time and most were sort of runners up to AMD and Intel. Microsoft could even dictate the features and licenses associated with different cpus or class them by speed as to what version of Windows they're allowed to run, A.K.A. new netbooks with cutdown spec CPUs.
Locking out Linux - MS could use such a ploy to lock out Linux, wouldn't be the first time they've tried it. "But you can run Linux right in Windows" exactly why they could do it and get away with it this time. Microsoft has a saying, Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. They embraced Linux by extending it into their OS, they embraced it with Edge working in Linux and now it's time to pull they trigger and extinguish. They may be unable and you may be fooled into thinking they wouldn't, but MS has done this time and time again. The saving grace is Apple is actually helping get Linux running on the M1 so MS's only way to kill would be a chip/bios package. And if you think they can't or wouldn't do that allow me to point you to the Surface RT tablets, before ending support MS released an update locking the bios to keep people from installing ARM based Linux on them. It not only can be done before, it has been done before. They also did this on the Cherry trail Windows tablets, many manufacturers locked out the ability to change the bios settings making them a nightmare to get Linux on them, You can, but it's not easy.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 19:09:53 »
That master plan seems like alot of work.  Is microsoft known to do ALL that in any human time frame ?

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 06:10:09 »
For CPU towers, the 140 extends lower towards the board than 120s,  this exposed blade area greatly improves motherboard VRM cooling.

Definitely going with 140 from here on out.

Thoughts ?

(Attachment Link)
do it really matter?,
i didnt know it that it really usefull

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 09:05:15 »
do it really matter?,

For those super boards with 8+ vrm stages probably not.  But for the 3-4 stage boards cooling is quite important.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 09:24:17 »
That master plan seems like alot of work.  Is microsoft known to do ALL that in any human time frame ?
Per wikipedia (more details at the link)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish#Examples_by_Microsoft

ActiveX killed Netscape, later used against Opera
Office purposely breaks document readers
Breaking Java and making certain functions Windows only (they've been sued twice for this)
MSN Messenger's goal was to break AOL Instant Messenger's dominance before shutting it out of Windows.
Adobe was scared to death MS would build a PDF reader and effectively lock them out, they eventually did. How often do you see Adobe Reader anymore?
MAPI is an MS implementation of IMAP exclusively for MS email servers with the intent to kill IMAP, it's working.

Also, if you want to see an example currently happening in real time that you are seeing, Google Chrome.
Ever hear people say Chrome "just works better", it does! You can't use Gsuite the same (similar to ActiveX), Google regularly messes with Youtube to slow and break other browsers, they can make changes then later add them to W3C, the web standards body (again similar to ActiveX), And then there's logins... Try Chrome and see how often you have to complete a CAPTCHA or login for Google services compared to Firefox, I guarantee you, it's waaaaaay less often. That's by design. How many times have they tried to push Chrome on you when something didn't work? Funny how it's always a Google product that's broken when that happens.

You're witnessing Google do the same to Mozilla that MS did to Netscape (which also happened to be built on Mozilla's framework) a second time and if you remember what happened to browsers and the internet as a whole the last time one company got a near monopoly you should be very concerned, doubly so when you consider how much control Google has on the server side and the fact the MS is also helping them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 17:40:50 »
I personally stick with custom water with Mag-lev fans - nice a quiet.  Also when running renders or game the airflow keeps my legs toasty.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 23:49:12 »
do it really matter?,

For those super boards with 8+ vrm stages probably not.  But for the 3-4 stage boards cooling is quite important.

i was not knowing that, i taught it is not really important for any board, thank to god i saw this topic before assembling my brand new pc.