Author Topic: Upgraded to Windows 11 from 10 - Start menu, file explorer not working.  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Naweo

Re: Upgraded to Windows 11 from 10 - Start menu, file explorer not working.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 06:53:58 »
You used the faulty PC to create the install image.
Did you CRC check the install disk after to verify it was a good copy over to the thumbdrive? USB is notorious for dropping packets and having little to no error correction. Either use verification (MD5 and such) on not only the install ISO, but preferably the media itself (not sure if MS offers this), and/or create the files using a different, known working system. Again, preferably check the MD5 hash on the ISO.

The drivers you installed after re-installing Windows, were those also downloaded prior to the re-install? Or were they freshly downloaded again after? If they were older, that could be the problem.

Motherboard drivers...
Motherboard manufacturers are known for lagging FAR behind on driver updates. If you can find them, go to the source, Intel in this case. Or get a driver finder tool to do it. Never trust ones listed on motherboard web pages and never trust the ones in the Windows repo to be anywhere close to the latest. Stock Windows ones have been known to be YEARS behind (even for Win11, since it uses Win10 drivers).

Carefully re-introduce means start with a fresh install, see how it runs. Install some drivers, see how it runs, install your browser, see how it runs, etc... and all, fresh, clean downloads, not from a copy you kept from before (some people keep backups of install files). Any installer/driver/program you downloaded and saved prior to this install is suspect and should be avoided or installed alone, then checked to see how the system reacts to it. It's the same as removing hardware and re-introducing it, only with software.

I would also download a memory tester and run that, some Linux installers include it. Garuda Linux has it, make the installer (Rufus works well), boot it and it should be the very last option in the boot menu.

I know I am a pain in the ass with troubleshooting.

I have created the install image from a functioning laptop this time. So far no problems.

I am carefully installing one item at a time every hour or so, taking note of which and testing if somehow there will be incompatibilityissue.

I did not CRC check. I reinstalled again windows 11 from a thumbdrive imaged created from my laptop. Is it too late to check something?

Alll drivers, at least this time with my second reinstall, has been from the fresh install and clean from the sources.

Regarding motherboard drivers, I usually just go to the ASROCK websites to get straight from the source. I have the asrock steel legend z490, and so far, I only wish to do that if I run in to problems. Or is that a mistake? If a mistake, which ones should I get?

Link below:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z490%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#Download

I am doing testing every 1-2 hours of use of PC, and I am installing things more slowly, and I will only finalize the PC etc if it runs smoothly for a couple of weeks.

I am writing down which items seems to be functioning every 24 hours in a "install notepad." Then if I install something from old driver or new one, and I get problems, at least I can try and reverse topdown reinstall and/or uninstall ****.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:02:35 »
I know I am a pain in the ass with troubleshooting.
It's not you, it's the internet, it's not quite the best communication system.

I've worked with much, much worse, you wouldn't even crack top 300.

I have created the install image from a functioning laptop this time. So far no problems.

I am carefully installing one item at a time every hour or so, taking note of which and testing if somehow there will be incompatibilityissue.

I did not CRC check. I reinstalled again windows 11 from a thumbdrive imaged created from my laptop. Is it too late to check something?
You could, but I wouldn't.
You made it on a known good system, could it have an error, yes, but it's slim and the odds of it failing the exact same way as before is astronomical.

Alll drivers, at least this time with my second reinstall, has been from the fresh install and clean from the sources.
Good.

Regarding motherboard drivers, I usually just go to the ASROCK websites to get straight from the source. I have the asrock steel legend z490, and so far, I only wish to do that if I run in to problems. Or is that a mistake? If a mistake, which ones should I get?
That's bad.
Z490 is several generations old and if you look at the dates those were posted days after general availability. How much time did they spend on testing and more importantly, what's the odds no newer/better drivers have not dropped after a new OS dropped?

Asrock pulled a "here you go, good luck" then left the chat.

Chipset, I usually just use the built in chipset drivers or a driver utility if the OS is older, I pretty much never use them from a mobo supplier page except to find a missing driver and only a missing driver. They're notoriously out of date.

Audio and network, go to Realtek and get it. Honestly though, again, use the built in. It's sound, rarely effects performance and I doubt it was ever the problem. I pretty much only mess with these if I am using a driver utility.

Video, Nvidia.

I am doing testing every 1-2 hours of use of PC, and I am installing things more slowly, and I will only finalize the PC etc if it runs smoothly for a couple of weeks.

I am writing down which items seems to be functioning every 24 hours in a "install notepad." Then if I install something from old driver or new one, and I get problems, at least I can try and reverse topdown reinstall and/or uninstall ****.
There you go.
In a situation like this you really have to be vigilant, all it takes is one mistake on your part and allow some old, bad data to slip in and the whole house of cards will fall.

If it were me, I'd work in clusters. Do all of the drivers, then something else like games. You're more likely to have an issue again, but you're already narrowed down the problem greatly. It's more work because you may have to keep re-installing, but it's faster.

Also you should make a note in your backups and install files where the problems started.
A year or two from now you don't want to go grab some old info and bring everything down again because you forgot there was a problem with that older data. Or worse, bring it down again but only after corrupting everything again. Meaning you would get to do much of this all over again.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Naweo

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 09:21:25 »
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffde7aff81b
Faulting process id: 0x6be4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d85b0abcf5181f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 1294ba9a-bdd1-43b4-93c3-f879609e92b9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It went a week very smoothly. I installed things, and after each install, no issues.

Apparently it has started now and the taskbar feels laggy and unsmooth. I can't really pinpoint it to a specific appliaction except maybe reverse install my ****.

I pinpointed perhaps the issue to the "taskbar behaviour" setting where it shows icons all all displayers.

Windows 11 has to reproduce 5 taskbars with my system, and when this feature is enabled, it seems to cause lag.

Will test.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2022, 09:30:33 by Naweo »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 01:38:58 »
Sounds like progress to me.
From what I've seen regarding Win11 taskbar issues, that doesn't surprise me one bit it causes lag, even static icons seem to be problematic and cause lag. So 5 monitors worth, yeah, I can see that.

Also wouldn't surprise me if that's part of your problem with it crashing, you're an extreme edge case on an OS from a company that increasingly hates edge case users, it's becoming more ChromeOS and Apple IOS like every day (not that MacOs isn't following a similar path) with more and more tunable features being removed. Where MS used to work towards supporting everything and everyone they could they've now decided they no longer need everyone. I'm not sure Windows is going to work too well for you with this sort of setup for too much longer. That applies not just you but anyone with an edge setup.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Naweo

Sounds like progress to me.
From what I've seen regarding Win11 taskbar issues, that doesn't surprise me one bit it causes lag, even static icons seem to be problematic and cause lag. So 5 monitors worth, yeah, I can see that.

Also wouldn't surprise me if that's part of your problem with it crashing, you're an extreme edge case on an OS from a company that increasingly hates edge case users, it's becoming more ChromeOS and Apple IOS like every day (not that MacOs isn't following a similar path) with more and more tunable features being removed. Where MS used to work towards supporting everything and everyone they could they've now decided they no longer need everyone. I'm not sure Windows is going to work too well for you with this sort of setup for too much longer. That applies not just you but anyone with an edge setup.

After some testing, I can say almost 100% the issue is using "taskbar icons on ALL taskbars" option.

I do not have issues when using only taskbar on the "actual" screen plus main screen. Only when all screens replicates the icons, it crashes.

Problem seems to be solved, for now.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
^That was a huge issue on early builds of Win10, looks like it made it's way to w11.  I would leave the icons to the Main Screen until the issue is fixed, but I've seen this in various early Windows builds.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Naweo

I continue to have games lags issues etc.

I believe either of these two softwares causes the problem:

1. Focusme
2. Gadgetpack

I have some gadgets running and in win10 it was no problem but in W11 it seems to cause tons of lag.

Will try to pinpoit the problem and see.