geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

USB to USB keyboard converter build log(Pro Micro 3.3v with mini host shield)

(1/7) > >>

yangdigi:
Haus's USB to USB keyboard converter topic:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0
Big thanks to him.

I found there is no guide that uses a Pro Micro 3.3V(not Mini) with mini host shield to make a USB to USB keyboard converter. I've searched the web and found only Teensy with mini host shield to do this.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_USBHostShield.html

Pro Micro is much cheaper than Teensy. I got Pro Micro 3.3V and mini host shield from a friend of mine who combined all pins of the two together in a wrong way.  I separated them and combined them again. Here I want to share what I did.

There are a few examples for Teensy with mini host shield.

Pro Micro does't have a PC7. But in fact it use pin9 and pin10. I draw a simple pic to show pin connections.

Look at Pro Micro. Only +5v and reset need to be hand wired.

Firstly, I've tested the connections and it works well as a USB to USB keyboard converter.

Then, It's time to make them combined. Mini host shield need a little mod to separate the USB host power from the 3.3v power. There is no jumper on this mini host shield so I cut the line on pcb. Two extra wires are needed here, one to VBUS and the other connects reset with 3.3v.

RAW on Pro Micro 3.3v provides +5v.

More pics.

It's small. And I think making this one is much easier than using Teensy with mini host shield.

After simply cleaning the PCBs, it looks a litter better now.

suicidal_orange:
That is small!  Great guide too, thanks for writing it up :)

njbair:
Nice work. I bought one from hasu, then built a second one from a full-size Leonardo clone and USB host shield, both made by SainSmart.

Maybe I missed it in the OP, but what was the total BOM for this project?

prod:
nice work

yangdigi:

--- Quote from: njbair on Sat, 12 March 2016, 10:23:38 ---Nice work. I bought one from hasu, then built a second one from a full-size Leonardo clone and USB host shield, both made by SainSmart.

Maybe I missed it in the OP, but what was the total BOM for this project?

--- End quote ---
In this topic, I just showed how to make USB to USB keyboard converter with a Pro Micro 3.3v and mini host shield.
The other two converters are only for size comparing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version