Author Topic: [GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - CONCLUDED  (Read 163293 times)

Offline celavek

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - Group buy LIVE on Drop.com
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 03:54:23 »
This would be my first GB over drop (as the set, especially git is superb  :thumb:) - so there is no way to get this sent from GMK instead of shipping it from germany to the us and back ? ... which would be ... just sensless and ridiculous :(

I second that.
Is there a way here to make a poll to see how many European users would be interested in that option?

@Oblotzky - if we organize ourselves, would you accept a separate group order from us? How many orders do you need to make this happen?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 04:11:26 »
This would be my first GB over drop (as the set, especially git is superb  :thumb:) - so there is no way to get this sent from GMK instead of shipping it from germany to the us and back ? ... which would be ... just sensless and ridiculous :(

I second that.
Is there a way here to make a poll to see how many European users would be interested in that option?

@Oblotzky - if we organize ourselves, would you accept a separate group order from us? How many orders do you need to make this happen?

I am very well aware of the fact that Europeans prefer their items to be shipped from within Europe, I don't need to see a poll to know that. Drop is the sole vendor for this item and this won't change for this round. There were advantages and disadvantages when chosing them as a vendor. On the upside: they have an incredible reach which allowed me to expand the set into the 13 kits you see for it now, and overall better pricing. Most other vendors don't offer price breaks, they have a fixed price and you'll pay it regardless of the set reaching 250 or 1000 units. So once the drop concludes, it will be cheaper than it would have been on any other platform. The downside: EU buyers have to deal with customs. The sad truth: advantages outweighed disadvantages.

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 04:35:34 »
Well, I must disagree here. First of all: Please take it just as my opinion, which are like *******s, not as critisism - at the end it is YOUR GB, you are tha master, GBs are no democracy, and I highly admit your work (and that of all the other GB runners which are constantly deliver incredible work). This said and done, I would give you my opinion: Another, european based vendor has never been tried, as far as I know. But it works with other vendors beside MD, and monoplos suck ass. And I would asume that something like the price drop models would not be the issue here. Either one would combine two vendors or one would go stritly EU - and lets face it, this would be far below the 500+ range, so a price drop would never occur anyway. Current european based vendor prices (directly at GMK, private GBs in the past, candykeys, ...) show that MD is making these kits quite expensive. You can stay way below the 200+ price tag that a full blown kit is given...
Again, just my opinion. Yeah, MD has advantages. But these advantages are paid for.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 04:44:53 »
Thanks for clarification, just wanted to check. As Drop is no wellfare company I was pretty sure that this is how it is. But better ask ;)

Have to check how much more expensive it gets and if it makes sense for me.

Maybe I have to get in touch with work colleagues in the US ;)

Thanks again for the awesome set and clear and open communication

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 04:51:07 »
Current european based vendor prices (directly at GMK, private GBs in the past, candykeys, ...) show that MD is making these kits quite expensive. You can stay way below the 200+ price tag that a full blown kit is given...

Where do you see MD making these kits 'quite expensive'? The Regular Base Kit costs 120$ at 500 units on Drop (which is 106 EUR exclusive of VAT), Candykeys charged 132EUR for GMK Mizu base kit after hitting 500+ units which is about 111 EUR exclusive of VAT. Plus Drop has more expenses, having to ship the entire order via air freight to the states and have it processed by customs while Candykeys has the palette dropped off at their doorsteps in 2 days max.

And the "200+ price tag" - well you will get the same at other vendors if you keep adding child kits...
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2019, 04:58:57 by Oblotzky »

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 06:00:53 »
in this topic: Europeans arguing with each other

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 06:11:29 »
I thought I had it rough just from having to pay California sales tax.

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 09:22:08 »
Current european based vendor prices (directly at GMK, private GBs in the past, candykeys, ...) show that MD is making these kits quite expensive. You can stay way below the 200+ price tag that a full blown kit is given...

Where do you see MD making these kits 'quite expensive'? The Regular Base Kit costs 120$ at 500 units on Drop (which is 106 EUR exclusive of VAT), Candykeys charged 132EUR for GMK Mizu base kit after hitting 500+ units which is about 111 EUR exclusive of VAT. Plus Drop has more expenses, having to ship the entire order via air freight to the states and have it processed by customs while Candykeys has the palette dropped off at their doorsteps in 2 days max.

And the "200+ price tag" - well you will get the same at other vendors if you keep adding child kits...
MD makes this things expensive because they add their own expenses (which ofc is absolutely fair, they are no wellfare).  A regular Base Kit means nothing if you are going ISO-EU - you have to wait for the few rare GBS with full ISO-EU support (NORDEUK - and boy, do I love you for adding it here, srsly!) and then you have to pay extra for keys you never want. I know this is not MDs fault, but it is adding up. This could be avoided with a strict european GB or a european vendor. A good example is the WoB set from candykeys (albeit this is way to limited) or the Dolch-GB from ComputerBase - both examples show that it could be done without MD - it is just not tried often enough, which is... unfortunate.
in this topic: Europeans arguing with each other
Get out you demon from another world!

:D

Offline quitraging

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 09:52:34 »
1. Why "Super" in the monochrome kit, but still "Code" in the regular kit?
2. Why "Meta" in both of the aforementioned kits, instead of something closer to the key's most commonly used name, "Menu"?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 10:00:47 »
1. Why "Super" in the monochrome kit, but still "Code" in the regular kit?
2. Why "Meta" in both of the aforementioned kits, instead of something closer to the key's most commonly used name, "Menu"?

Regular has Code because it feels more modern, and plays with the theme. The Monochrome kit mimics classic/vintage sets with its colorway, hence Super (more common back then). Meta because it's not as specific so more different functionality fits.

Offline Dakk1d

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 11:24:35 »
Holy sh*t this drop is moving units. Good job everyone :thumb:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 16:58:00 »
Anyone know the similarity in greys between gmk modern dolch and tmgmk oblivion? If I used the spacebar from this set would it match?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 01:58:31 »
Random question.

This is my first group buy for a keycap set. If for example, one or more keycaps arrive warped or with some other type of defect, how does GMK or Drop handle this? Since production quantity is strictly limited and based off the # of orders placed, I'm assuming receiving replacement keys isn't an option? Or are extra "contingency" sets produced on the side for these type of instances?

I know this is probably a very rare occurence, but still interested in knowing how it's generally handled.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 02:07:42 »
Random question.

This is my first group buy for a keycap set. If for example, one or more keycaps arrive warped or with some other type of defect, how does GMK or Drop handle this? Since production quantity is strictly limited and based off the # of orders placed, I'm assuming receiving replacement keys isn't an option? Or are extra "contingency" sets produced on the side for these type of instances?

I know this is probably a very rare occurence, but still interested in knowing how it's generally handled.

We order extra units to be used for warranty, replacements, units lost in transit, etc. If there is a production mistake (e.g. the wrong key/legend was made, a kit is missing a key, etc.), we will work with GMK to produce the correct key(s) and ship them out to those affected at our expense.

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 02:44:03 »
Random question.

We order extra units to be used for warranty, replacements, units lost in transit, etc. If there is a production mistake (e.g. the wrong key/legend was made, a kit is missing a key, etc.), we will work with GMK to produce the correct key(s) and ship them out to those affected at our expense.

Excellent, thanks for the info! :thumb:

Offline celavek

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 03:12:56 »

I am very well aware of the fact that Europeans prefer their items to be shipped from within Europe, I don't need to see a poll to know that.

It's not really about that. I don't give a flying #&$? from where the items are shipped! They could be shipped from the top of Kilimanjaro for what I care!
I'm OK to pay the VAT as the US buyers pay their taxes also. It's just the fact that it makes us deal with the idiotic customs that do not understand that I'm not doing wholesale business but just order some plastic bits for myself. I think you're doing am amazing job with these kits, it's just sad you're so inflexible.
I'm not convinced that the European vendors would not accept the Drop model.

Anyway, thanks for answering!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 04:01:03 »

I am very well aware of the fact that Europeans prefer their items to be shipped from within Europe, I don't need to see a poll to know that.

It's not really about that. I don't give a flying #&$? from where the items are shipped! They could be shipped from the top of Kilimanjaro for what I care!
I'm OK to pay the VAT as the US buyers pay their taxes also. It's just the fact that it makes us deal with the idiotic customs that do not understand that I'm not doing wholesale business but just order some plastic bits for myself. I think you're doing am amazing job with these kits, it's just sad you're so inflexible.
I'm not convinced that the European vendors would not accept the Drop model.

Anyway, thanks for answering!

You start your post with saying that you don't care from where the item ships, then proceed to explain why it's bad when it ships from outside EU. I'm confused.

Offline The Arthur

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 07:27:33 »
I'm sorry for talking on about this topic. But is there a chance that this drop will already benefit from Drop's EU warehouse?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 07:33:37 »
I'm sorry for talking on about this topic. But is there a chance that this drop will already benefit from Drop's EU warehouse?

Unfortunately not. Only drops where it has

at the bottom are sent from the EU warehouse.

I'm strongly lobbying for keysets to be made eligible for EU shipping, once Drop has figured out how to offer that via the EU warehouse I'll make sure my future collaborations with them will be offered as such.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 June 2019, 07:35:15 by Oblotzky »

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 11:59:16 »
This is one of my favorite keysets of all time and the pricing is awesome, thanks for bringing it back. :)

Offline celavek

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 13:46:18 »

You start your post with saying that you don't care from where the item ships, then proceed to explain why it's bad when it ships from outside EU. I'm confused.
You're confused and I'm misunderstood! My life's story! Well, let me explain. What I wanted to say is that I do not prefer to have my
items shipped from Europe, as you said it is the case for most European users. I do buy stuff from US, shipped directly from US and
I do not have to deal with the customs - the price includes the VAT and reflects a bit that fact, that my package does not have to be stopped 
and processed by customs(but it's definitely not almost double). That's why I do not have sleepless nights thinking from where they are
shipped! The thing is handled for me. Anyway, I do understand your point and respect it, so I will just Drop my case here.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 16:22:03 »

You're confused and I'm misunderstood! My life's story! Well, let me explain. What I wanted to say is that I do not prefer to have my
items shipped from Europe, as you said it is the case for most European users. I do buy stuff from US, shipped directly from US and
I do not have to deal with the customs - the price includes the VAT and reflects a bit that fact, that my package does not have to be stopped 
and processed by customs(but it's definitely not almost double). That's why I do not have sleepless nights thinking from where they are
shipped! The thing is handled for me. Anyway, I do understand your point and respect it, so I will just Drop my case here.

just FYI tax evasion is a crime
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 16:28:48 »
Give Rama link please

Offline bball2

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 17:43:56 »
I wish drop eventually starts collecting GST for Canadian deliveries. Every time they don't Canadian customs charges 5% tax and $10 processing fees for collecting after shipment -_-

Offline PiotrMKG

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 04:49:35 »

just FYI tax evasion is a crime

Say that to Fortune 500 companies CEOs.

Offline rk74051

• Carpe Noctem Iterum
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 07:49:42 »
So, it's 6/11/2019 now, where's the RAMA Git?
|archon REːAL PLATINUM FX Round 2 DIY KIT[Black, Aluminium Plate, Ver 2.0 PCB, Drop Holy Panda, Massdrop X Oblotzky SA Oblivion Oblivion Mod(Oblivion Alpha),  Signed by Joe 'Mr.Hahn' Hahn of Linkin Park(Carry On, 7/18/2019 KST)]|
|CM Storm Novatouch TKL[Norbauer R2 Galactic Blue, Massdrop X Mito SA Godspeed]|

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:23:39 »
https://drop.com/buy/rama-works-x-oblivion-artisan-keycaps?mode=guest_open

Sorry for the extra day delay, it's now up for 7 days!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:53:30 »
https://drop.com/buy/rama-works-x-oblivion-artisan-keycaps?mode=guest_open

Sorry for the extra day delay, it's now up for 7 days!
god, this cap and this kit are so hot  :eek: :p ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline rk74051

• Carpe Noctem Iterum
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:57:00 »
|archon REːAL PLATINUM FX Round 2 DIY KIT[Black, Aluminium Plate, Ver 2.0 PCB, Drop Holy Panda, Massdrop X Oblotzky SA Oblivion Oblivion Mod(Oblivion Alpha),  Signed by Joe 'Mr.Hahn' Hahn of Linkin Park(Carry On, 7/18/2019 KST)]|
|CM Storm Novatouch TKL[Norbauer R2 Galactic Blue, Massdrop X Mito SA Godspeed]|

Offline enrique.aliaga

[GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - Group buy LIVE on Drop.com - RAMA cap LIVE
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 10:02:45 »
I’m also in for the Rama keycap! Lovely match with this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kaktus

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - Group buy LIVE on Drop.com - RAMA cap LIVE
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 10:45:27 »
Also in for the RAMA Cap. However, it bothers me a bit that RAMA doesn't stick to the exact dimensions of a normal Cherry R1 keycap.  :-\

Offline Hell-es

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - Group buy LIVE on Drop.com - RAMA cap LIVE
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 12:07:15 »
Enamel is a shine through filling that the key is even?

So cool ;)

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V2 - LIVE - 125$ Git Base - RAMA Artisan LIVE
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 12:56:48 »
Git Base Kit price reduced from 145$ to 125$! Great work everyone  :thumb: Regular Base Kit should follow soon enough

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 13:01:27 »
Git Base Kit price reduced from 145$ to 125$! Great work everyone  :thumb: Regular Base Kit should follow soon enough

Grats! Well deserved

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 13:26:51 »
Just double checking, the oblivion cadet should be compatible with R1 oblivion, correct?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 13:32:53 »
Just double checking, the oblivion cadet should be compatible with R1 oblivion, correct?

Not quite, the legend color of V2 is matched to GAL from Signature Plastics as it was used for SA Oblivion. I can't really say for sure yet how much of a difference that will be visually, but it might be noticeable. Probably one of those 'once you see it' type of things.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 13:52:11 »
Good to know, I am glad I asked.  Thanks!

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 13:58:01 »
Based on the sales, looks like Git Base might hit 750 (and maybe even 1000) units sold before the drop ends. Any intention of adding further price breaks or is $125 as good as it gets?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 14:06:09 »
Based on the sales, looks like Git Base might hit 750 (and maybe even 1000) units sold before the drop ends. Any intention of adding further price breaks or is $125 as good as it gets?

We'll see about a 1000 price point. I believe Yanbo already reached out to GMK for a quote on that. I wouldn't hold my breath for 750 though.

Offline ablehart

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 14:47:39 »
Excited for these kits. Is it too late to add an extra "b" key to space keys kit for Alice/other ergo folks? :)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 16:34:08 »

We'll see about a 1000 price point. I believe Yanbo already reached out to GMK for a quote on that. I wouldn't hold my breath for 750 though.

With that kind of attitude it might not  :p

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 16:43:30 »

With that kind of attitude it might not  :p

I thought he was asking about a 750 price point, misread. We'll surpass that point for sure.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 10:09:13 »
Another very amazing render by RAMA for their Artisan Keycap

Also someone on Keychatter Slack suggested mixing Space Cadet Modifiers with Hagoromo Alphas, so here you go

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 10:35:35 »
Maybe this has been asked before.  Are Oblivion Alphas same as Space Cadet alphas in color?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 10:37:13 »
Maybe this has been asked before.  Are Oblivion Alphas same as Space Cadet alphas in color?

Base color is identical, legend color is slightly different though (Space Cadet slightly creamy white, Oblivion slight beige)

Offline pcire

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 10:42:19 »
That’s why I’m getting the Hagoromo Cadet Alphas!

Offline okidna

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 11:32:39 »

Also someone on Keychatter Slack suggested mixing Space Cadet Modifiers with Hagoromo Alphas, so here you go

Show Image

Show Image

Hey! I can also do this with my TA 90 modifiers. Nice :thumb: :thumb:

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 17:00:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wow they were really on to something!

Offline Dakk1d

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 06:39:47 »
Just realized I will be needing a monochrome FN key. Not gonna order an entire kit just for one key sooo...if you know you will get a spare one hmu and lets sort something out! :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:29:17 by Dakk1d »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline The Arthur

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 07:29:31 »
Thanks for clarifying the EU situation!