Author Topic: Does this exist?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline aerosoul

Does this exist?
« on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 09:16:56 »

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2963e30cc7ce49c6b3b6c1340cf3b17f

Near-standard ANSI 60% that trades in some right modifiers for a proper inverted T arrow/nav cluster. I barely ever use right modifiers except for RShift, whereas arrow keys I use all the time.

I know 65% boards exist, but finding keycaps with matching profiles for the right column can be a challenge. I've also seen those 60% with arrows but I find the bottom right too cramped and keycaps even harder to find. In contrast, this doesn't require anything special other than a 1.25u Shift, but it's not a big a deal since many sets include it (it's a standard ISO LShift.)

Does anybody know if a board with this layout exists? I would kill for it!

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: Does this exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 10:14:08 »
there is a more compact version of this with the DZ60 on KBDFans (https://kbdfans.com/collections/pcb/products/dz60rgb-hot-swap-custom-keyboard-pcb)

Offline aerosoul

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 11:26:17 »
The DZ60 gets close, but those 1u modifiers limit keycap options significantly. More importantly, the non-standard /? placement is a deal breaker for me. Too much muscle memory :( As a matter of fact, I have my Anne Pro 2 setup similarly, with the /? moved somewhere else to make room for the arrow up. It works, but it gets in the way... a lot (I use /? quite frequently.) This very problem is actually what inspired me to post this question here.

Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 00:33:36 »
That's pretty much a 60% with arrow keys.

Pretty much nothing off-the-shelf even including Chinese custom is likely to match that layout with the divorced arrows and lack of CTL and Alt. Maybe there was a limited run group buy, but otherwise, no. And good luck tracking one down and finding someone willing to part with it for an even remotely reasonable cost even if you do. Odd designs like this are bought by people who like those odd designs, it's a niche, inside a niche and they just don't let them go easily.

If you want this, you're almost certainly going to have to make it yourself, the good news is that it's cheaper and easier than ever to do so. There;s lots of online tools to help, CAD tutorials exist, there is CAD you can get for free and you can even make it it at home in your room on a relatively affordable 3d printer. 10 years ago this was a thousand dollar year long project, today it can be done for less than $100 and a bit of your spare time.

BTW,
You're concerned about the 1u caps, those are often easier to find than the shift key you will need.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Arrinura

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 21:07:21 »
Yes, PAL is exactly what you're looking for. It's currently in IC though.

Offline hawkhandlerr

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 23:04:07 »
are you sure you wouldn't be able to use a 1u shift key so you could keep it in the row next to the "?" and just shift the nav cluster over to the right a little? I love the idea btw. The lack of a T-shaped nav cluster is what keeps me away from going from 65% to 60%.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 14:28:22 »
are you sure you wouldn't be able to use a 1u shift key so you could keep it in the row next to the "?" and just shift the nav cluster over to the right a little? I love the idea btw. The lack of a T-shaped nav cluster is what keeps me away from going from 65% to 60%.

You can, and there are 60% boards that support dedicated arrow keys. It is just a lot harder finding cap sets that support it vs 65-75% ... Those were mostly unobtainable outside of $100+ sets though too until recently.

Offline aerosoul

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 14:49:47 »
today it can be done for less than $100 and a bit of your spare time.

WOW! I knew customs became a bit more mainstream as of late. I was certainly not expecting things to be this affordable. I was assuming _at least_ 5x that amount. You have opened my eyes!

Offline aerosoul

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 15:20:59 »
are you sure you wouldn't be able to use a 1u shift key so you could keep it in the row next to the "?" and just shift the nav cluster over to the right a little?

The idea is having the separation, not removing it. This is so I can locate the arrows just by feeling them, no looking down, no thinking, etc. I programmed my 60% so /? is Up and Left, Down, and Right are right below it. It works... but it's a hit or miss. I constantly hit the wrong keys, precisely because they all feel the same. In 12+ years using TKLs, I have never had this problem, not even once. My aim is trying to replicate this in a smaller form factor.

Offline aerosoul

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 15:24:37 »
Yes, PAL is exactly what you're looking for. It's currently in IC though.

OMG! That is quite literally exactly what I'm looking for! And what a beauty it is!

Thanks a million!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 10:43:49 »
today it can be done for less than $100 and a bit of your spare time.

WOW! I knew customs became a bit more mainstream as of late. I was certainly not expecting things to be this affordable. I was assuming _at least_ 5x that amount. You have opened my eyes!

Only if you a 3d printer and 3d printing and CAD experience.
You aren't going to get a pcb or a metal case, it's going to be all printed plastic and hand wired but these can actually be much better than you'd expect. You aren't limited to ABS for the case and the ability to build integrated structure means it has very different properties from a metal or common injection molded designs and that can make it stiffer and sound far better that you would expect for such a light weight keyboard.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion