Author Topic: Removing Topre plungers  (Read 3994 times)

Offline saturnotaku

Removing Topre plungers
« on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:20:41 »
I've scoured Realforce and HHKB disassembly threads and pics but can't find a definitive answer to this. From which direction do you remove the plungers/stems from these keyboards? Assume you're viewing the keyboard as you would when you type. Do you press down (toward the spring and PCB) or up (toward the keycaps)?

I'm planning to do a dental band on my HHKB and want to minimize the risk of damaging anything. Thanking you in advance.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Removing Topre plungers
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:29:30 »
I've scoured Realforce and HHKB disassembly threads and pics but can't find a definitive answer to this. From which direction do you remove the plungers/stems from these keyboards? Assume you're viewing the keyboard as you would when you type. Do you press down (toward the spring and PCB) or up (toward the keycaps)?

I'm planning to do a dental band on my HHKB and want to minimize the risk of damaging anything. Thanking you in advance.

You unscrew the pcb from the plate, or in the hhkb's case, top of the case, then push the sliders down in the direction of the pcb. They'll pop out with a little pressure.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:34:41 »
Exactly what I needed to know. Much obliged.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:45:00 »
Exactly what I needed to know. Much obliged.

When you remove the plungers, you may break the little hooks located at the top of the plungers. Some or all of them.

There is one little hook on the top of the plunger (where the keycap goes).

When disassembling a Realforce or a Leopold FC660C, it's unavoidable, you break most of them. I'm not sure about the HHKB, but my bet would be that it will be the same.

It's inconsequential. A small part of the hook will be removed, but the hook has very little function. It helps holding the plunger in place when you put back the top plate in place when you hold it over the PCB. From experience, even when the hooks have been damaged the plunger still stay in place and you can easily reassemble the keyboard.

Once the keyboard is reassembled, the hooks have absolutely no function.

The only thing I recommend is that you remove the plungers on top of a sheet of paper, so you can get rid of all the small bits of plastic that will come out (the tips of the hooks). No small bit of plastic should remain when you reassemble the keyboard.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 10:10:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:29:32 by esoomenona »

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 10:13:39 »
Looks like you just push them out.

http://imgur.com/a/CMqpt