Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 182456 times)

Offline darkslay3r

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 22:34:47 »
definitely will auto buy
Viper V2 | TGR 910 CE | TGR 910 Poly R1 | RF 55g

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 21:44:03 »
Perhaps a dumb question, but if you're doing all new molds for the alphas, why not orient them as on the original space cadet with alternate symbol directly above letter, instead of diagonal with letter upper left and symbol lower right?

My guess is that GMK Space Cadet is what we imagine Tom Knight would have created had he put his legends on a modern Cherry-profile keycap family.
I doubt it, because the symbols on the space cadet keyboard were placed where they were to indicate the proper chorded use (e.g. super-a = symbol above a, just like shift-1 = ! on a PC keyboard). The Cherry "corners" method was for alternately  interpreted symbols by the attached computer; something like Cyrillic sublegends for a computer that's set to Russian language. But I understand why esthetically it's being presented this way for this set. Ultimately it doesn't really matter since the symbols are just decorative anyway.

Oblotzky, I agree with this. The balance between the original and cherry with this set is interesting. I think both the corner and centered legends look very impressive (with slight preference with centered - you say in the OP you want to replicate closely:P but perhaps centered is just much better on sphericalkinda like text only modifers).

or what about this?

If you were to do cornered legends though, why remove the icons? Has Cherry ever had text only mods? This is a very icon heavy set anyway but I guess that is more of a personal preference..

Random question.. but for those against icon mods, would the hand symbols look strange in their place? Left-facing thumbs for shift and left points for enter and backspace? I think it would look good as icon only for short shift and backspace. The APL legends provide some good alternatives for the current arrow cluster. Do you know what the hand icons function were originally?

edit: Oh and +1 for side print, those would be centered, right?  :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 23:28:00 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:19:34 »
I dont trust side pad printing lasting forever. My vote is no on greek :p

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:29:46 »
I dont trust side pad printing lasting forever. My vote is no on greek :p

Oh, is this the only option?

If only pad printing, would keycap cleaning solutions like denture tablets have an effect on it? They wouldn't see much use otherwise, right?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 01:34:29 »

If you were to do cornered legends though, why remove the icons? Has Cherry ever had text only mods? This is a very icon heavy set anyway but I guess that is more of a personal preference..

Yes, a decent amount of very old vintage cherry boards had text only mods.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 01:49:03 »

Very old, as in predating the cylindrical cherry profile/cornered legends?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 03:45:03 »

No, a decent amount of early mx boards with the modern style alphas had text mods, but that were not the common boards. https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:G80-1306a_.jpg

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 06:19:22 »

No, a decent amount of early mx boards with the modern style alphas had text mods, but that were not the common boards. https://deskthority.net/wiki/File:G80-1306a_.jpg

Ah, I forgot that one! It doesn't look bad in that layout, granted, most of the mods are shorter than ansi and it does have the backspace icon   :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 06:23:48 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline hansichen

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 07:22:32 »

Ah, I forgot that one! It doesn't look bad in that layout, granted, most of the mods are shorter than ansi and it does have the backspace icon   :p

There should be some 2500 style terminal boards with normal iso layout with text mods too, I just can't find the pictures right now

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:04:16 »

There should be some 2500 style terminal boards with normal iso layout with text mods too, I just can't find the pictures right now

Many of the best from that series are icon only:P There is also G80-0418, you found one of these recently, I was just going through that DT thread yesterday (<3).

But again, these modifiers are basically stepped to 1 u. I think it is an odd balance to have a very busy alphas (1u) with potentially 3 legends but then have the largest keys feature only text
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:08:27 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:11:39 »
I think it is an odd balance to have a very busy alphas (1u) with potentially 3 legends but then have the largest keys feature only text

Are you saying you dislike the look of the space cadet?

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:13:47 »
I think it is an odd balance to have a very busy alphas (1u) with potentially 3 legends but then have the largest keys feature only text

Are you saying you dislike the look of the space cadet?
I wouldn't be here if I didn't like this

I think, historically, centered/text only looks better on sphericals
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:29:27 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 08:50:41 »
I'll just be honest here, permit me the shift of discussion to numbers - what do you guys think will sell better? Cornered legends or centered legends? I think the answer is obvious. How many people are gonna buy this because it's an exact replica of an old keyboard that follows very strict construction and how many are gonna buy it because it's a cool set that happens to pay homage to a very meaningful keyboard from way back?

Sales should not be impaired by gatekeeping. Sales should not be impaired by having to completely replicate the original to not piss purists off. Does anyone actually think black legends for bottom mods like the original would ever outsell regular mods for example? I'm all for civilised discussion but let's please get real here, there's no need to continue hammering on with decisions that are blatantly obvious.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:54:50 »
I'll just be honest here, permit me the shift of discussion to numbers - what do you guys think will sell better? Cornered legends or centered legends? I think the answer is obvious. How many people are gonna buy this because it's an exact replica of an old keyboard that follows very strict construction and how many are gonna buy it because it's a cool set that happens to pay homage to a very meaningful keyboard from way back?

Sales should not be impaired by gatekeeping. Sales should not be impaired by having to completely replicate the original to not piss purists off. Does anyone actually think black legends for bottom mods like the original would ever outsell regular mods for example? I'm all for civilised discussion but let's please get real here, there's no need to continue hammering on with decisions that are blatantly obvious.

Well this is an interest check and I for one am not interested in icon mods so I state my preference when the issue is discussed.
It's not gatekeeping. What got me interested in this set was to have cylindrical space cadet keycaps. If it's going to be apl legends on gmk then I'm not interested and as this is an interest check I think it's fair to say it.
If it's so obvious that people are not interested in centered legends or text only mods then there is no need for an interest check.

Offline zslane

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:36:13 »
If you were to do cornered legends though, why remove the icons? ... This is a very icon heavy set anyway but I guess that is more of a personal preference..

Removing the modifier icons is really just an aesthetic decision. One side can argue to keep the icons because that's the "norm" for Cherry-profile keycaps, and the other side can argue to remove the icons because they are not part of the Space Cadet legendarium. If Oblotzky wants to treat this IC like a democracy then he should take a poll, see if one preference heavily predominates, and then decide which way to go based on those results. I'm a purist who prefers text-only mods because this is the "Space Cadet" set after all, and the fewer aesthetic compromises you have to make the better in my view. But to be honest, the presence of icons on the modifiers would not deter me from buying the set.

FWIW, I would not call the original Space Cadet "icon heavy," in fact the only icons on it are the four hands. Everything else is text (roman numerals and APL characters are textual, not iconic).

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:40:53 »
this is what i want to buy

please do not subject us to this.

i think if people want centered legends, they should look for a different profile. corner legends are part of the cherry profile, and anything else is blasphemy

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:42:38 »

Before answering your first question, I think numbers are a priority to a point (MOQ?) but the legacy sets will carry for years are probably more important and I look to Oblotzky's purpose/desires here. I think there are several variations of this tribute (cornered or not) capable of far beyond MOQ and there are factors in either direction that could influence - possibly the familiarity of cornered legends will draw more in (the APL legends are pretty stylish anyway), or possibly something different than what we're used to but well executed sparks a lot of attention.

This set won't be an exact replica as it is GMK. I think those interested would not drop out of the GB because of further separation from the original. Which brings me to the purpose, Oblotzky stated that it was important that this be replicated closely and while I really like the possible centered or vertical left aligned options I fully understand forgoing some original aspects of the set for aesthetic purposes. I would then question that if the alpha legends surrendered to Cherry's styling, why the modifiers wouldn't be as well? Of course, the balance is up to Oblotzky and he has a great eye - so I am just providing my thoughts in which I know I am not alone, like AMongoose said, this is an interest check, so (and I know this wasn't directed at just me but) calling people's discussion of interests "hammering on" is kinda rood.

I for one am not interested in icon mods so I state my preference when the issue is discussed.

I wonder how popular this preference is? Even for Text + Icon - not just icon only...

I feel bad for those that share this preference as it greatly limits your options, especially in the realm of Cherry profile caps, your preference exists almost solely in Oblotzky's GMK Oblivion if I'm not mistaken and the current direction of this set, from what I can tell. With that being said, I totally understand why you state your preference, however uncommon.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:51:38 »
If you were to do cornered legends though, why remove the icons? ... This is a very icon heavy set anyway but I guess that is more of a personal preference..
the fewer aesthetic compromises you have to make the better in my view. But to be honest, the presence of icons on the modifiers would not deter me from buying the set.

FWIW, I would not call the original Space Cadet "icon heavy," in fact the only icons on it are the four hands. Everything else is text (roman numerals and APL characters are textual, not iconic).

This makes sense. I suppose my view would be that if you make the cornered legends compromise, that compromising the modifiers would be best for the harmony of the set. I will be interested regardless, as I've said.

Thank you for correcting me there  :thumb: , I was wondering about that choice of words, perhaps saying the set was already a legend busy one or one with many symbols would have been more accurate.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:54:54 »
Well this is an interest check and I for one am not interested in icon mods so I state my preference when the issue is discussed.
It's not gatekeeping. What got me interested in this set was to have cylindrical space cadet keycaps. If it's going to be apl legends on gmk then I'm not interested and as this is an interest check I think it's fair to say it.
If it's so obvious that people are not interested in centered legends or text only mods then there is no need for an interest check.

Your response is entire fair, my point was that having some back and forth about "real space cadet" vs "fake space cadet" (and snarky remarks like "so you're saying you hate Space Cadet") just seems moot - furthermore, the point of the interest check at its inception was not to decide between cornered and centred legends/icon mods vs text mods etc but to gauge interest in Oblotzky's rendition of it; the additional renders were only quickly sketched out to see how it looked as far as I know.

I think focusing on small improvements rather than drastic changes would be most meaningful way to go about it.

Offline zslane

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:43:34 »
To those who say, "If you want centered legends, then just go buy the spherical version of Space Cadet," I'd dearly love to know where you expect interested buyers to find such a thing.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:12:29 »
To those who say, "If you want centered legends, then just go buy the spherical version of Space Cadet," I'd dearly love to know where you expect interested buyers to find such a thing.

that is certainly no concern for people who are interested in GMK Space Cadet

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:13:13 »

my thought as well, even though i want corner legends
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:30:45 »
What if Return, Backspace(s) and Tab were moved into the black mod kit to make an OG mod kit and the base kit would have regular cherry modifiers (or icons? :woi2:) to match the alphas. It would require adding 4 more keys to the base set, though, I think and a bit bigger of a mod kit. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone uhh spewing my thoughts all over this thread
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:19:26 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:29:19 »

I just want what Oblotzky originally had, maybe with the greek front legends  :eek:

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #274 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:05:19 »

I just want what Oblotzky originally had, maybe with the greek front legends  :eek:

+1 best balance so far :eek:

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:43:52 »

+1 best balance so far :eek:
Thirded with this notion. Everything else is kinda nitpicky :rolleyes:
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:53:27 »
I think the original iteration from OP looks great. Hope to see it soon, though my wallet may be a bit ailing.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 00:26:37 »
this is what i want to buy

Show Image

please do not subject us to this.

Show Image

i think if people want centered legends, they should look for a different profile. corner legends are part of the cherry profile, and anything else is blasphemy
Cannot agree any more  :)

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 07:57:37 »
What if Return, Backspace(s) and Tab were moved into the black mod kit to make an OG mod kit and the base kit would have regular cherry modifiers (or icons? :woi2:) to match the alphas. It would require adding 4 more keys to the base set, though, I think and a bit bigger of a mod kit. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone uhh spewing my thoughts all over this thread

So the white/black kit would have text only and the base would be white with text+icons?
That would be reasonable if there are more people wanting text+icon than text only i guess.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:09:52 »

So the white/black kit would have text only and the base would be white with text+icons?
That would be reasonable if there are more people wanting text+icon than text only i guess.

Yes, that was my thought. I'm not very experienced in managing kits though, and there would probably be some residual effects to the cost etc. that I'm unable to estimate.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:44:50 »
Text only mods.
keyboards.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:36:36 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:42:24 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 12:20:45 »

No, but you seem to think people can just go out and find some other profile with centered Space Cadet legends, as if that was some sort of viable solution for them, which it is not. It is merely a dismissive attempt to shove fans of centered legends out of the conversation.

Of course, there is really no debate to be had here anyway since Oblotzky is certainly not going to put centered legends on GMK keycaps for fear of alienating the Cherry-profile traditionalists. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't caved in to the pressure to add icons to the modifiers, but there's still time for that to happen I guess.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 12:34:39 »

No, but you seem to think people can just go out and find some other profile with centered Space Cadet legends, as if that was some sort of viable solution for them, which it is not. It is merely a dismissive attempt to shove fans of centered legends out of the conversation.

Of course, there is really no debate to be had here anyway since Oblotzky is certainly not going to put centered legends on GMK keycaps for fear of alienating the Cherry-profile traditionalists. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't caved in to the pressure to add icons to the modifiers, but there's still time for that to happen I guess.

GMK Space Cadet isn't a "second chance" set for people who like the SA set but could not get one. As much as you may want this to be, this set is not a replica of the SA version. This is a recreation in GMK profile, which is a translation from the original font, legend placement and orientation, cap profile, etc.

Centered legends are not part of the cherry profile. if you want centered legends, you need to pick a different profile.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:00:30 »

GMK Space Cadet isn't a "second chance" set for people who like the SA set but could not get one. As much as you may want this to be, this set is not a replica of the SA version. This is a recreation in GMK profile, which is a translation from the original font, legend placement and orientation, cap profile, etc.

Centered legends are not part of the cherry profile. if you want centered legends, you need to pick a different profile.

DCS space cadet centered legends when
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline blighty

« Reply #285 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:04:21 »

Centered legends could be a part of the cherry profile, at least for the alphas in this buy that all need new molds made anyway. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:04:36 »

I mean, text only modifiers are not traditionally a part of Cherry profile either but I don't see you or anyone else chiming in about that despite many people voicing their preference for icon +text or icon only in the past.

edit: And I wouldn't call the idea of centered legends blasphemy either. Its just plastic, man  ;) I think it could look good, even if its not up for consideration in this set (I think this IC has moved passed that..)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:07:45 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:12:20 »

No they are not. Good for you if you want them, but the only reason gmk sets have cornered legends is because of the existing molds. It's completely legitimate to suggest a different alignment as there will be new molds made regardless.

I'ts not like there haven't been dyesub spherical keysets made with cornered legends, or cherry profile with no legends at all. It's not a characteristic of the profile.

Offline zslane

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:44:51 »

Yeah, I do understand all that. But judging from the different requests/opinions in this thread, the exact direction of the "translation" from the original is neither obvious nor a foregone conclusion just because they are going to end up on cylindrical keycaps. Aping the typical corner-legend-&-text-with-icons-mods aesthetic is merely one possible choice, and not necessarily the best one for this tribute set. It would only be the "best" choice if the majority of buyers wanted that and Oblotzky's main concern was sales. Neither of those may be true in this case.

I can see how you might feel that way based on the prevalent use of existing molds and the philosophy of taking the path of least resistance. But this set will require all new molds for the alphas anyway, so the style and orientation of the legends on the existing GMK molds is of no technical or logical consequence.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:58:03 »
Not only is the font location a compromise, so is the scale - the original space cadet has a much greater font to key ratio than what you're proposing...

It also feels really weird that you have the roman alphabet above the "alternate" symbols in complete opposition to the original...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #290 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:10:48 »
Not only is the font location a compromise, so is the scale - the original space cadet has a much greater font to key ratio than what you're proposing...

It also feels really weird that you have the roman alphabet above the "alternate" symbols in complete opposition to the original...

I had a similar realization yesterday. However, it is unlikely that the double shot molds for the legends in the standard position may be used for legends at any other different one. I think the Lisp symbols will require new molds anyway so maybe it would be an opportunity to have the legends adjusted to the true original.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #291 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 22:58:57 »

I had a similar realization yesterday. However, it is unlikely that the double shot molds for the legends in the standard position may be used for legends at any other different one. I think the Lisp symbols will require new molds anyway so maybe it would be an opportunity to have the legends adjusted to the true original.

RE the position of the primary versus alternate legends, someone mentioned that about a week or two ago.
My take is it's as weird if not more to have alternate on top and primary on bottom like original Space Cadet.
I guess it's because most keysets (not only Cherry) now days have primary on top.
There are many opinions pointing out inconsistency with the original design, but that was 3+ decades ago, different profile, etc.
Logical consistency probably is easy to identify and tag onto, but it may not be right for the design overall.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 08:55:00 »

RE the position of the primary versus alternate legends, someone mentioned that about a week or two ago.
My take is it's as weird if not more to have alternate on top and primary on bottom like original Space Cadet.
I guess it's because most keysets (not only Cherry) now days have primary on top.
There are many opinions pointing out inconsistency with the original design, but that was 3+ decades ago, different profile, etc.
Logical consistency probably is easy to identify and tag onto, but it may not be right for the design overall.

I can see where are you coming; but, this is a try on recreating a vintage key set under modern standards, therefore, any consideration leading to that end are valid, al least, they deserve to be explored.

Offline zslane

« Reply #293 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:41:06 »
If you look at most GMK keyset designs, the legends have nothing to do with their theme, their identity, or their distinctiveness. Those qualities are always achieved through colorway and a handful of novelty legends. Because of this, the style of the legends on 99% of GMK keysets don't matter, and so there is no compelling reason to depart from the de facto standard that will allow existing molds to be used and keep costs down. But that isn't the case here. The unique legend style of the original Space Cadet keyboard is a critical part of its distinctive identity, and if you take that away, you aren't really doing a "Space Cadet" keycap set, but merely one loosely inspired by it. The fact that Oblotzky is choosing to incur the costs of new molds for the legends clearly says that he intends this to be more faithful to the original keyboard than to the countless Cherry-profile keycap sets for which the legends don't matter. In light of that, the choice to depart (at all) from the original keyboard's legend style becomes hard to fathom or justify.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 12:48:47 »
If you look at most GMK keyset designs, the legends have nothing to do with their theme, their identity, or their distinctiveness. Those qualities are always achieved through colorway and a handful of novelty legends. Because of this, the style of the legends on 99% of GMK keysets don't matter, and so there is no compelling reason to depart from the de facto standard that will allow existing molds to be used and keep costs down. But that isn't the case here. The unique legend style of the original Space Cadet keyboard is a critical part of its distinctive identity, and if you take that away, you aren't really doing a "Space Cadet" keycap set, but merely one loosely inspired by it. The fact that Oblotzky is choosing to incur the costs of new molds for the legends clearly says that he intends this to be more faithful to the original keyboard than to the countless Cherry-profile keycap sets for which the legends don't matter. In light of that, the choice to depart (at all) from the original keyboard's legend style becomes hard to fathom or justify.

+1

Translation: this set should have the special Lisp legends to be authentic.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:29:37 »
i think y'all are overthinking this

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:11:21 »

Of course we are. It is just part of the fun with each new set coming. Unless we were not keyboard aficionados, we may take any consumer level keyboard no matter what.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:31:18 »
It's a bit of a tangent, but I wonder how well Space Cadet would work as an all-over dyesub on Matt3o's MT3 profile.  Spherical and no mold fees.  It would make it easier to offer multiple variations on the legends, since that seems to be contentious.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:37:09 »
Mt3 dyesub.. puke. Legends were horrible on that.
keyboards.

Offline zslane

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:49:10 »

Oh, this is nothing compared to the depth and extent of the community input that went into DSA Granite. The debate over its typeface alone went on for months...

It's a bit of a tangent, but I wonder how well Space Cadet would work as an all-over dyesub on Matt3o's MT3 profile.

Did matt3o indicate an ability to do complete-coverage dyesub for MT3 while I wasn't looking?