Author Topic: [IC] Wyvern - 65% + Southpaw Numpad - GB 1/23 10AM PST  (Read 83389 times)

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
[IC] Wyvern - 65% + Southpaw Numpad - GB 1/23 10AM PST
« on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:37:44 »

Presenting the Wyvern, a 65% with offset arrows + southpaw numpad!
Current Status: Prototype 1 Built. Prototype 2 Built. GB 1/23 10AM PST.

Join the Discord!
Visit my Shop!
Twitch!
Youtube!

My name is Albert, and I run Mystic Works, a one-man operation designing custom keyboards. This project originally started as a personal one due to (in my opinion) the lack of variety in the southpaw market.

Inspired by the AEGIS by aeboards, I decided that the idea of a left-handed numpad would do wonders for me as at the time I worked at a job that featured heavy spreadsheet usage and thus extended use of my right-handed numpad. Cutting off the function row to reduce size and shifting arrows to the right is the layout that I have decided on now. Offset arrow keys make the 65% layout look nicer and less compressed, in my opinion.

Here are the planned features/specifications:
 - Top mount
 - Aluminum top/bottom piece, seamless sides
 - Brass bottom weight
 - Brass or polycarbonate plates
 - USB C Daughterboard based on ai03’s unified daughterboard
 - 6 degree slope
 - QMK powered

Planned layouts:

These have been updated since initial the IC to add more numpad compatibility.

PCB is designed by Evy of https://anykeys.eu/. She’s designed many PCBs before including the Wonderland (Alice) PCB and the Plain60 PCB.
ISO is available!

Colors/Styles:
 - Aluminum Case: Sandblasted, then anodized black or e-white coated. Only two options.
 - Brass Weight: Sandblasted. Interior engraving with my logo, exterior is clean.
 - Brass Plate: Sandblasted. Full plate which supports either the top or bottom set of numpad layouts will be offered.
 - Polycarbonate Plate: A traditional frosted polycarbonate. Full plate which supports either the top or bottom set of numpad layouts will be offered.
 - PCBs: Matte black solder mask. ai03-based universal daughterboard (Revision 1). One universal SKU only.
 - Goodies: Case/PCB foam! Probably custom packaging as well.

Black with GMK Mizu

White with GMK Bleached + Hiragana Sublegends

Black with GMK Olivia

Black with GMK Pulse

White with GMK Bento

Old Renders:
More

Current status/updates:
3/18: Design work is 90% done, I’m happy with how the board looks and I’m pretty sure not much about it is going to change between now and a GB run, but if you have any suggestions to offer, again please fill out the IC form, there is a spot for that. If you have any burning questions, suggestions, or advice for me, please join the discord server, as I'm the most active there, versus GH, where I'm probably going to post periodic updates only.
3/19: Added more compatibility to numpad, will add 2u keys on the right layout as well. All three numpad options in the IC form are encompassed!
3/22: Numpad now has options for normal or mirrored, all 2u keys on it can be split into 1u keys. Gap between alphas and numpad has been increased to 0.5u.
3/25: Design nearing proto 1 stage, looking for factories- PM me if you know any good ones. OPTIONS POLL UP : https://forms.gle/NerTPP2Asez42f6E93/29: Most major design decisions are done. IC above has been completely updated, including colors/finish options. I've requested quotes for a prototype and those should be coming in very soon. Timeline wise, we're still looking at months until a GB.
3/31: Prototype 1 paid for.
7/11: Prototype 1 arrived a long time ago, still awaiting PCB
8/28: Updates on latest post
9/16: PCBs arrived; functional! Build stream tomorrow.
9/20: First prototype built! VOD on my Youtube channel.
10/22: Pictures of 2nd prototype arrived, prototype shipping.
12/5: Awaiting final preparations.

Special thanks go out to Evy for doing the PCB, Kingk22 for doing the amazing renders and everyone in my discord server for helping me out and offering encouragement throughout the last couple of weeks.

To everyone who's responded to the IC, joined the server, or even read the thread, thank you for all the support so far. I appreciate every comment I get.

Albert
Mystic Works
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2021, 21:20:42 by mysticworks »

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
Re: [IC] Wyvern - Premium Southpaw 65%
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:38:35 »
5/6/2020: Prototype 1 has been completed! Here are some pictures from the factory:

A couple more are here: https://imgur.com/a/NSuGvZR.

5/11/2020: Prototype 1 arrived at my house!
Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/aFnwSYJ

9/16/2020: PCBs arrived! Build stream tomorrow.

Beautiful matte black soldermask. Very excited to build this prototype!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2020, 18:12:49 by mysticworks »

Offline Rubydestroyer

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:40:41 »
Looks good, I'm interested.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:50:07 »
Small nitpick but the blocker size separating the numpad is a bit thinner than the blocker size separating the nav cluster on the other side.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:17:25 »
Small nitpick but the blocker size separating the numpad is a bit thinner than the blocker size separating the nav cluster on the other side.
Pretty sure that's necessary unless you drop the nav cluster down to 3 tho, no?

Offline Capsy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:20:33 »
Talking about the vertical blocker. Not the top and bottom bezels.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:25:59 »
Yes... That's what I mean. You can't make it the same width or the clusters will no longer be separated. The arrows and nav would be touching.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:32:36 »

That blocker is .25u, whereas blocker on right side is .5u. It's by design, I wanted to minimize the space between the two "sides" of the board. Thanks for the feedback, I'll change it up and see how it looks tomorrow!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:34:06 »
Yeah. I'm an idiot. You meant make the left one wider. I got it. Yeah. It'd make the board a little wider. Would help with the symmetry.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:34:42 »
Yes... That's what I mean. You can't make it the same width or the clusters will no longer be separated. The arrows and nav would be touching.
Oh I meant widening the one next to the numpad. I can see the confusion now.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:36:12 »
Oh I meant widening the one next to the numpad. I can see the confusion now.
Haha. Yeah. Woops. My bad XD.

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 22:52:36 »
Interested.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:16:41 by Evilocity »

Offline Rew23

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:07:37 »
Very interested. love southpaw. Hopefully this makes it to group buy. A navy one would be awesome.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:16:40 »
Interested. Will it use USB Type C?

Case is at 6 degrees, uses a Type-C daughterboard.

Very interested. love southpaw. Hopefully this makes it to group buy. A navy one would be awesome.

Southpaw is great! Navy is one of my top choices too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:18:53 by mysticworks »

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:17:30 »
Interested. Will it use USB Type C?

Case is at 6 degrees, uses a Type-C daughterboard.
Yeah missed all that, I need some sleep lol.

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:40:49 »
I like where this is going, but not sold on the case design. Seems a bit too “plain” for a high end board, but could just be me. (talking about the sides)

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 01:07:33 »
Left-handed Numpad is the correct way!  :D
Looking really interesting, congrats and stay strong!

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 01:18:29 »
Wouldn’t exactly call this a 65% board. More like an 85%. Why put the arrows on the right side and not the left? For spreadsheet work, it’d be nice to have them both on the left

Offline gipetto

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 09:42:26 »
I made a full size with the arrows and numpad on the left. It's difficult to use for modifiers+arrows because you train your left hand to use lctl. rctl and ralt rarely get used so you cross your hands to access the nav cluster. this is the best layout, and it supports iso well which the aegis wasn't suited to.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 11:28:30 »
Wouldn’t exactly call this a 65% board. More like an 85%. Why put the arrows on the right side and not the left? For spreadsheet work, it’d be nice to have them both on the left

I made a full size with the arrows and numpad on the left. It's difficult to use for modifiers+arrows because you train your left hand to use lctl. rctl and ralt rarely get used so you cross your hands to access the nav cluster. this is the best layout, and it supports iso well which the aegis wasn't suited to.

^ This is what I had in mind- I use left control basically exclusively to do stuff. Initial design actually did have arrows in the middle, but very quickly decided that I use lcontrol too much for that. Also yea, supports ISO better. Plus, this way you can do numpad + arrows at the same time more comfortably than if they were both on one side.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 11:35:42 »
Makes sense to have numpad on left (data entry) and have navigation on right (arrows, mouse). Just like the AEBoards EXT65

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 11:44:47 »
It’s an extended 65% (I.e., a 65% with numpad).

Left side numpad is great; reversed layout left side numpad is best.

Better to have arrow keys on the right, it would seem to be better for spreadsheet work (navigate with right hand and data entry with left hand). Plus you can always use numlock or layer an arrow cluster onto the numpad if you wanted to use arrow keys on the left.

I will buy buy buy

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 11:49:12 »
It’s an extended 65% (I.e., a 65% with numpad).

Left side numpad is great; reversed layout left side numpad is best.

Better to have arrow keys on the right, it would seem to be better for spreadsheet work (navigate with right hand and data entry with left hand). Plus you can always use numlock or layer an arrow cluster onto the numpad if you wanted to use arrow keys on the left.

I will buy buy buy

Numpad is reversed layout! And yes, QMK is going to let us do some cool stuff with Numlock + layers. 

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:05:11 »
Will this be a limited run? In other words, will there by a max number of kits that will be available for purchase?

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:06:21 »
The only thing keeping this from being my dream MX board is the mirrored numpad. I really hope option for non-mirrored is present.

Also eWhite!

Thanks for putting this out. Very exciting.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:32:47 »
The only thing keeping this from being my dream MX board is the mirrored numpad. I really hope option for non-mirrored is present.

Also eWhite!

Thanks for putting this out. Very exciting.

Don't think mirrored should be that hard to learn since the same keys are hit with the same fingers just on the other hand- also there is an option for a 1x1 numpad which you can swap caps around and QMK to be a non-mirrored 1x1 numpad.

Thank you for the support!

Will this be a limited run? In other words, will there by a max number of kits that will be available for purchase?

Yes, this will be limited since I have a limited capacity to handle QC/shipping, but it won't be "25 units" low.

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:38:01 »
Don't think mirrored should be that hard to learn since the same keys are hit with the same fingers just on the other hand- also there is an option for a 1x1 numpad which you can swap caps around and QMK to be a non-mirrored 1x1 numpad.

For sure. I actually enjoy learning new layouts. I just think non-mirrored looks a lot better. Of course, do what you and the voters want most. Just wanted my vote in. ^__^

Also, I'd love to see a split spacebar option.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:45:25 »
I love the stagger on this, looks super clean :)

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 13:45:43 »

For sure. I actually enjoy learning new layouts. I just think non-mirrored looks a lot better. Of course, do what you and the voters want most. Just wanted my vote in. ^__^

Also, I'd love to see a split spacebar option.

Yea, no problem! Probably no split bars, but there does seem to be a certain amount of demand for it... We'll see.

I love the stagger on this, looks super clean :)

Thank you! I love the layout too.

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 18:56:31 »
Hopped on the canvas because I was interested in southpaw, but this one's layout seems a lil bit neater. I'm into it. Keepin an eye on it

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 23:53:35 »
Hopped on the canvas because I was interested in southpaw, but this one's layout seems a lil bit neater. I'm into it. Keepin an eye on it

Goal was to create one of the best possible versions of this layout. Thank you for the support!

Offline Datastream

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 03:06:04 »
I think this look really good man. Might cop it for work

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 06:19:30 »
Looks really good, I'm interested but I wanna propose a change: Have you considered leaving some space in the bottom left corner of the main block of keys? A bit like this one, I mean: https://i.imgur.com/cqHsbGs.jpg. To me, it looks slightly unbalanced that the right side has these interesting shapes of free space and the left side just has this thin straight line of free space. I looked at this in KLE and I like it more, visually. It's not symmetrical of course but it looks _more_ symmetrical. Maybe it looks good to you as well?

Offline davidkoleda

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:10:43 »
Looks really good, I'm interested but I wanna propose a change: Have you considered leaving some space in the bottom left corner of the main block of keys? A bit like this one, I mean: https://i.imgur.com/cqHsbGs.jpg. To me, it looks slightly unbalanced that the right side has these interesting shapes of free space and the left side just has this thin straight line of free space. I looked at this in KLE and I like it more, visually. It's not symmetrical of course but it looks _more_ symmetrical. Maybe it looks good to you as well?

Edit: this suggestion looked interesting but I did not think about the lack of left control which I enjoy very much. Very interesting keyboard overall!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 12:15:04 by davidkoleda »

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:48:01 »
I'd buy either way, but the gap between win and numpad makes it feel less symmetrical to me overall.

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:52:41 »

I can see where you are coming from. However, with the addition of the right-most column of keys and the numpad on the left, there is no real hope for symmetry. I think, as others have pointed out ITT, the traditional location of LCtrl is pretty much essential and trumps symmetry in a design like this. If you take that away, you have the same issue as the Aegis. Besides, there are lots of 75% boards (E7-V1, Sat75, Polaris75, 7V, Evolv 75, etc.) that have the same layout as this (the numpad and F-row notwithstanding), and it feels right.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 11:15:02 »
Really interested by this board ! Keep the left ctrl please, and I really hope for a 0.5u blocker between the numpad and the main cluster.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 14:04:11 »
Really interested by this board ! Keep the left ctrl please, and I really hope for a 0.5u blocker between the numpad and the main cluster.

Left control will be there, I've decided on no blockers after some consideration. Decision on the 0.5u blocker will be made today, leaning towards the 0.5u right now.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
Re: [IC] Wyvern - Premium Southpaw 65% - Updates!
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 21:40:34 »
Hey everyone, quick update.

As in the OP, new numpad compatibility has been added since there was demand for all three layouts.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/4b241fcb5cfe1fa80b04230ea5e48af6

Gap changed to 0.5u, and due to this design change I'm taking the opportunity to remodel and optimize the top mounting positions for a more even typing experience. Hopefully, this and engraving will be ready for an initial protoyping by the starting weeks of April!

Thanks everyone for the immense support so far, I read every comment/discord message I get, so feel free to DM me with any comments/suggestions.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:38:51 »
I like where this is going, but not sold on the case design. Seems a bit too “plain” for a high end board, but could just be me. (talking about the sides)

Sorry about how late this response is, didn't see this. I decided on a more low-key design because this was meant to be my "work" board- something very flashy would not have worked well in that environment. I was trying to emphasize the layout more than the board design itself. In addition, I'm trying to keep machining costs, etc lower, so that also fueled my decision on this matter.  :thumb:

Offline Abhorrent Cell

Re: [IC] Wyvern - Premium Southpaw 65% - New Renders & Important Updates
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 23:03:37 »
I need this keyboard so I can make love to this keyboard.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 23:07:50 »
In an attempt to answer some questions that I feel like I will get a lot of:

Why only two color options?
- To save sanity during production/QC, also black/e-white are both easy to match colors for and thus less time is spent on that. Also, higher volume = lower cost. Also, lots of sets go well with either black/white.

Why 4 total plate options then?
- To prevent complete swiss cheese cuts in the plates. Splitting the options like this significantly improves the look/performance of the plates versus one giant cut in the numpad section.

Why even make non-mirrored numpad possible then?
- In the IC, it was basically evenly split between people who wanted mirrored and people who wanted normal layout.

Do you have more renders?
- Rest of the album is here: https://imgur.com/a/1R8xCx3. An exploded render is coming, possibly some with the "normal" numpad layout too.

Price? Date? Units? Vendors?
- Quotes not in yet, thus don't want to specify final pricing yet; no idea; thinking 100-150, more if more people get interested/I can get vendors; maybe.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 23:08:18 »
I need this keyboard so I can make love to this keyboard.

:-X

Offline Capsy

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 23:39:44 »
New renders look great.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 00:08:57 »
Mix between ext65 and aegis. Nice

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:51:17 »
Love the renders! Is your price estimation with or without PCB?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 06:30:57 »
Things aeryxz apparently now owns:
- the concept of southpaw 65% keyboards
- Pantone 533C

Care to add to the list?

Offline monojira

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 07:20:55 »
This layout is amazing. I am very much interested.
My personal preference would be anodized anthrazite dark grey rather than black but either would be a buy for me.
ISO support is very much appreciated!

Offline dsmvwld

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 09:27:41 »
I'll be building a Southpaw Extended in a few days, but super interested in this version. It'd be nice to have for work and one at home so I'm like 99% sure I'll grab one! Any renders of the bottom/brass weight? Curious what that will look like.

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 10:57:11 »
Things aeryxz apparently now owns:
- the concept of southpaw 65% keyboards
- Pantone 533C

Care to add to the list?

pls no flame

Aegis was actually the original inspiration for this board, I love both of your designs.

Love the renders! Is your price estimation with or without PCB?

With.

I'll be building a Southpaw Extended in a few days, but super interested in this version. It'd be nice to have for work and one at home so I'm like 99% sure I'll grab one! Any renders of the bottom/brass weight? Curious what that will look like.

Soon, tm.

This layout is amazing. I am very much interested.
My personal preference would be anodized anthrazite dark grey rather than black but either would be a buy for me.
ISO support is very much appreciated!

Regarding color options, again I wanted to keep it simple. ISO users rejoice! or something like that i guess