Author Topic: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad  (Read 204923 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 10:00:14 »
The version 1 PCB is not, unfortunately, in a state where I am comfortable releasing it.  I believe the CAD files for the GH60 are released and in the public domain, and those would be better examples for several reasons.

Also, I believe there is a thread about designing keyboard PCBs somewhere in the Let's Make it Together section of GeekHack.

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 12:00:55 »
Yup.  I'm working on clearing out other projects, but I will definitely do another run of these in the new year.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Can't wait  :D

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 16:31:51 »
Yup.  I'm working on clearing out other projects, but I will definitely do another run of these in the new year.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Nice! This and Nuclear Data re-run means one more board for me  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2016, 18:34:23 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline odd

« Reply #503 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 03:44:22 »
Update

So this project is not dead.  I finished the Rev. 2 PCB, and metalliqaz finished the firmware.  Frankly, I gave up on waiting for feedback from the Rev. 1 prototypers.

But my GH-36 works fine, so if there is enough demand, I can easily get another run of 20 printed and shipped.

Are people interested?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Did this project fall by the wayside?  I had been following it for quite a while hoping to purchase a final version but I haven't seen much activity in this thread.  I am a third party retirement plan administrator that is constantly working on financials for 401k plans for my clients and I hate having to bounce back and forth from the numpad on the right side of the keyboard to the center or left side of my keyboard.  I have looked into buying a 10-key board but none of them have all of the keys I need to use when I am working in excel and communicating with my clients and their CPAs.  I need something with an escape key nearby to reset my computer calculator, a comma key for typing financials into emails properly, the percent symbol, parenthesis keys, an equal key, an asterisk key, a tab key for excel navigation, a backspace key, and a delete key.  This project looked to be exactly what I needed with all of the programmability to customize it to my needs but, although I have soldered a few components to a couple of motherboards in the past, I don't know as I have what it takes to put this all together on my own. 

If this project is still moving forward let me know.  And if someone already has a working board or two and would be willing to discuss a price to put one together for me I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

You share the same thoughts with me, all I need is an extended Excel keypad! As an actuary, I need to use Excel excessively and I need those symbol keys in addition to a normal keypad.

However, existing GHPAD doesn't seem to offer direct output of symbol (maybe the easy firmware doesn't support this) and is more importantly not large enough.

I'm interested in one single large matrix. Hopefully the project is still alive.

Easy AVR firmware will support this in a new release that should be posted as a beta tonight.

I'm game for 3 of them for sure and will even pre-pay for them.

Offline leinaD_natipaC

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:03:06 »
I'd buy one, I'm really interested in this numpad. Some questions from a noob:

What else would I need in addition to the pcb? Case + plating + switches + caps + cable? Am I missing something?

Also, how would I go about programming it once I have it?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #505 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:35:21 »

What else would I need in addition to the pcb? Case + plating + switches + caps + cable? Am I missing something?

This has no controller either, so you'd need to source one of those. It's designed for a teensy 2.0 IIRC, but you could probably make it work with something else without too much trouble. How you would program it would be based on the controller you picked -- teensy 2.0 has a few keyboard firmware options floating around the forum, or you could get fancy and roll your own.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #506 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 09:56:59 »

This has no controller either, so you'd need to source one of those. It's designed for a teensy 2.0 IIRC, but you could probably make it work with something else without too much trouble. How you would program it would be based on the controller you picked -- teensy 2.0 has a few keyboard firmware options floating around the forum, or you could get fancy and roll your own.

Also diodes.  And LEDs plus resistors and a transistor if backlighting is desired.

Isn't there a parts list back there somewhere?

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dantan

« Reply #507 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 11:06:18 »
Why are people talking about buying the keypad when it isn't even in production?

At present I'm more interested in the Nuclear Data keyset, but it seems as though no massbuy is going into production.

Offline leinaD_natipaC

« Reply #508 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:18:05 »
Also diodes.  And LEDs plus resistors and a transistor if backlighting is desired.

Isn't there a parts list back there somewhere?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Do you mean this post?:
This is a reply to a PM I think will be useful for others...

So Im interested in one but cant seem to find a price anywhere, or what services offered. How much would I have to spend to get a pad?

Well, the status is this:

I have designed and had made 20 prototype PCBs for the GH36 Matrix Keypad.  Each PCB cost around $20.  After the prototypes are worked on by several experienced members, I will make 20 +/- beta versions.  Those will have full backlighting.  Again, probably around $20 per PCB.  Then, if people want some, I will do a production run, and the price per PCB will probably drop to $10 each.

Using the $10 cost for the PCB, you would have to gather the following:

$10 PCB
$5 diodes and resistors
$20 Teensy controller

$30 so far.

Plus however many switches you want to install.  Cherry MX switches are 50 cents to $1 each.

LEDs are 25-50 cents each, so another $5 there.

Call it $35 plus switches.

Then you need to solder it all together (pretty easy job) and add keycaps.

Assuming you have or can get the keycaps you want for free, you are looking at $40-50 or so for parts, then 30-90 minutes of build time.  The firmware is easy to create, and is fully customizable and free, so that won't add cost.

I'd call it a $50 DIY project, max.

- Ron | samwisekoi

This would be my first keyboard build of any kind, so I want to make absolutely sure of what I'm getting into. Prices aside, the parts list is:

-GH36 PCB (which I intend to cut down to 4x6)
-Teensy 2.0 microcontroller + metalliqaz's keymap thing
-Switches (24 for my build (preferably PCB mounted))
-Keycaps that fit the switches (1 per switch (duh))
-Diodes (1 per switch.? ... what type?)
-LED + surface mount resistor (1 per switch IF you want backlighting, resistance value depends on LED and assumes there's 5v on the line)
-Transistor (... also only if you want backlighting.? Just one.? What type?)
-Usb microB miniB-to-A cable
-Case (will most likely have to hand-make it)
-Plating (Needed if you use plate-mounted switches, optional if you get PCB-mounted switches instead Is this needed? What exactly is it for, just for plate-mounting switches?)

Finally, what do I need to cut the PCB? Pliers? A tiny jigsaw? Should I sand it down?

Please excuse my terribly noob questions, I really am interested in this board.

(edited to correct list)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 February 2017, 06:26:33 by leinaD_natipaC »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #509 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:40:39 »

This would be my first keyboard build of any kind, so I want to make absolutely sure of what I'm getting into. Prices aside, the parts list is:

-GH36 PCB (which I intend to cut down to 4x6)
-Teensy 2.0 microcontroller + metalliqaz's keymap thing
-Switches (24 for my build)
-Keycaps that fit the switches (1 per switch (duh))

All sounds good. If you're cutting it down to 4x6, you could get away with a cheaper controller, but teensy 2.0 will definitely be easiest if you don't want to mess with firmware.

-Diodes (1 per switch? ... what type?)

Yes, 1 per switch. I use 1N4148: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-100-Pcs-x-1N4148-Switching-Signal-Diode-SALE-/151347253015

-LED + surface mount resistor (1 per switch IF you want backlighting, resistance value depends on LED and assumes there's 5v on the line)

Yes to the LEDs. Resistors should also be through-hole, as of the last time schematics were posted (admittedly, that was a while ago).

-Transistor (... also only if you want backlighting? Just one? What type?)

Yes, the transistor is only for backlighting. Its purpose is to allow the LEDs to tap VCC directly from the USB input to the teensy, while still being controlled by one of the teensy's I/O pins.

I used a 31 cent transistor, Mouser P/N 512-MPSA29, which should handle up to 40 20mA LEDs.

-Usb microB-to-A cable

Teensy 2.0 has mini-B, not micro.

-Case (will most likely have to hand-make it)

There's a couple of case designs in this thread, but I think they're all for the full 6x6, so hand-making one is probably a good option.

-Plating (Is this needed? What exactly is it for, just for plate-mounting switches?)

Plate is optional if you're using PCB-mounted switches, which I highly recommend you do. If you want to use a plate, that's something you should consider when working on a case.

Finally, what do I need to cut the PCB? Pliers? A tiny jigsaw? Should I sand it down?

Just a hacksaw should work, although there may be something better. Several options are given on stack exchange: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/1151/how-do-you-cut-pcb. Make sure you take proper precautions when cutting to protect yourself and your health.

Please excuse my terribly noob questions, I really am interested in this board.

Not at all, we all have to start somewhere!

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would be needed -- and really, even a case is optional, a couple of the prototypes were built just with some bumpers on the back of the PCB, and placed directly on a desk. Functional, if not the most aesthetically pleasing.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline leinaD_natipaC

« Reply #510 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 19:52:19 »
Thanks a lot, that makes it pretty clear to me. I definitely want one, maybe more if I actually succeed at making one first. Now... to wait, possibly forever.
Edit: You mean you highly recommend I use PCB mounted switches, right? Hmm... from what I've seen they're around 50% more expensive. But then again, I don't think I'll be able to hand-make my own plate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 February 2017, 06:23:52 by leinaD_natipaC »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #511 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:12:29 »
Thanks a lot, that makes it pretty clear to me. I definitely want one, maybe more if I actually succeed at making one first. Now... to wait, possibly forever.
Edit: You mean you highly recommend I use PCB mounted switches, right? Hmm... from what I've seen they're around 50% more expensive. But then again, I don't think I'll be able to hand-make my own plate.

You can get CAD files for a plate from a couple of sources, such as http://builder.swillkb.com/. There's a few services floating around that would cut a plate for you.

Last time I looked for switches (which was admittedly several years ago), plate mount and PCB mount were exactly the same price. In fact, I found it was easier to buy PCB mount switches and clip off the mounting pins to make them compatible with my plate mount board than to search out the same plate mount switch. Where are you looking that PCB mount is that much more expensive?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #512 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:38:09 »
FYI, I am watching this thread, but it looks like User 18 has covered the key points.  Re a parts list, I believe I completed a Mouser parts list including part numbers.  I *may* go find that.  I certainly will update it with the release of another run of these PCBs.

Regarding another run, it will not be done -- or even scheduled -- until the GH-122.2017 PCBs get shipped.  But it will get done.  There were a couple of bugs in the initial run that must be fixed before I can re-run them, so I cannot just order more.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dantan

« Reply #513 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:55:07 »
Would it require a major redesign if I wanted a 7 by 7 keypad? I'm thinking that a couple of them could make up a split layout thing, something like an ergodox.

I'm not good enough to design my own from the ground up.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #514 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 09:29:30 »
Would it require a major redesign if I wanted a 7 by 7 keypad? I'm thinking that a couple of them could make up a split layout thing, something like an ergodox.

I'm not good enough to design my own from the ground up.

2 x 7 x 7 = too many pins for a Teensy.  The existing PCB is designed to be used in a 2 x 6 x 6 split configuration, giving you more keys than a JD40.  (There is a picture of one I built somewhere back in this thread attached below.)

But to answer your question, 7 by 7 would indeed require a major redesign.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 11:17:59 by samwisekoi »

Offline leinaD_natipaC

« Reply #515 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 09:52:50 »
You can get CAD files for a plate from a couple of sources, such as http://builder.swillkb.com/. There's a few services floating around that would cut a plate for you.

Last time I looked for switches (which was admittedly several years ago), plate mount and PCB mount were exactly the same price. In fact, I found it was easier to buy PCB mount switches and clip off the mounting pins to make them compatible with my plate mount board than to search out the same plate mount switch. Where are you looking that PCB mount is that much more expensive?

Well, I've also been looking at a DIY mechanical keyboard, so I figured that I'd have to order keycaps and switches from the same store to cut down on shipping (I live in Europe and much of what I'm ordering will be internationally shipped). The shop I was looking at (wasdkeyboards.com) sell 100 cherry mx's for 40$ (plate mounted) and 60$ (PCB mounted). The shop where I'd get my DIY keyboard from (winkeyless.kr) sells 100 for 65$ (PCB mounted) and doesn't sell the other kind. And the other shop I saw (mechanicalkeyboards.com) actually does sell them at the same price now that you mention it (100 for 50$, both kinds).

Where do you suggest I get them from? Nothing about my keyboard shopping list is working out shipping-wise anyway.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #516 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 11:15:26 »
Try techkeys.us.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #517 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:19:36 »

Well, I've also been looking at a DIY mechanical keyboard, so I figured that I'd have to order keycaps and switches from the same store to cut down on shipping (I live in Europe and much of what I'm ordering will be internationally shipped). The shop I was looking at (wasdkeyboards.com) sell 100 cherry mx's for 40$ (plate mounted) and 60$ (PCB mounted). The shop where I'd get my DIY keyboard from (winkeyless.kr) sells 100 for 65$ (PCB mounted) and doesn't sell the other kind. And the other shop I saw (mechanicalkeyboards.com) actually does sell them at the same price now that you mention it (100 for 50$, both kinds).

Where do you suggest I get them from? Nothing about my keyboard shopping list is working out shipping-wise anyway.

I've always bought switches from MK in the past, since I wanted clears and they had the best price I could find for those. International shipping was reasonable too, although I'm in Canada, so I can't speak to the transatlantic experience. If you're looking for reds/blues/browns, Ron's suggestion of gaterons from techkeys is also a good one -- I've never tried gaterons, but they've been very well received by the community. Note that gateron clears are linear, while Cherry MX clears have a large tactile bump.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #518 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 01:30:11 »
So I ask, what is more 2014 Geekhack than this

Rev 1 GH36s in dual hand config, hard wired, no case, no plate using m3 screws as stands
Programmed with EasyAVR tool
OG PCB mount Cherry Clears with 62g springs
DCS key caps from a SP grab bag pre-2014
Novelty caps from techkeys pre-2014

I just fixed this up and hard wired cables for C7-C12, i did not originally do the interconnect and did 2 teensys but that was wasn't the right way to do it and it sat in a box forever! I didn't even count it as part of my working collection

having some issues with chatter on Right Hand R3/C1 and R3/C2, I think it is the diodes. but for the most part it is completely usable keyboard, not sliding around or flexing due to middle post

would love a case on this thing or at least a bottom acrylic layer that matches the 5 holes on the PCB so that it would be something i could use daily, i bet it would be worth it doing that. put some standoffs, screws, and rubber feet and call it a day. PCB Mount Clears!!

this keyboard was before the ortho-linear craze, and I think it is the only 6x6 out there, keebio and others have 5x7s

Samwisekoi! cheers mate.

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2018, 01:37:32 by Glod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #519 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 19:17:14 »
edit: dont worry about it
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:35:56 by Glod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #520 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:34:40 »
I really don't why i have invested so much time the last few days in getting this Prototype 1 working with better boards out there now, the row 3 on the right hand keeps messing up and registering multiple presses with one press, tried hand wiring the whole row direct to the teensy and R2 and R4 diodes, new switches and diodes, didn't work, pretty much rage quited and almost threw it out my 3 story window in the rage. i would blame the row if it were not the fact the left hand 3rd row that is connected to the teensy through the PCB works flawless, just 6 keys giving me trouble. glod dammit. Its a simple matrix board Ron built while learning how to make keyboards, i could easily handwire and use the firmware. frustrating.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #521 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 14:57:30 »
with better boards out there now

Are there other boards out there with the same/similar form factor now? I'd still like one of these to use as a macro pad or similar, but didn't realize there was anything else out there with the same flexibility in cutting down the PCB to desired size.

If you're aware of anything, please point me in the right direction!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #522 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 15:24:53 »
with better boards out there now

Are there other boards out there with the same/similar form factor now? I'd still like one of these to use as a macro pad or similar, but didn't realize there was anything else out there with the same flexibility in cutting down the PCB to desired size.

If you're aware of anything, please point me in the right direction!

https://keeb.io/ has a bunch of matrix boards including a bare bones BFO-9000 that can be broken down into 6x6 like the GH36, for 20$ for 2 PCBs. build a barebones case on swills tool and order it from https://www.sculpteo.com, 2 hands 100$

I just ordered a Viterbi a few days ago, which 5x7 x2 in total with switches costed me like 80$

Something about 6x6 though feels right though, Im tempted to learn how to make my own.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #523 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 10:36:07 »
If lets say I decided to learn how to make pcbs, which I have been putting off for years, and made a 6x6 daisy chain-able board with the same dimensions, layout options, and holes as the GH36, would that interest people?

I'll be ordering a few 6x6 grid sandwich plates to handwire soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 20:38:36 by Glod »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #524 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 20:42:56 »
If lets say I decided to learn how to make pcbs, which I have been putting off for years, and made a 6x6 daisy chain-able board with the same dimensions, layout options, and holes as the GH36, would that interest people?

Unfortunately my GH36 is mostly unusable without some rework, but with what I can use i am the digging the 6x6 layout over 7x5.

I'll be ordering a few 6x6 grid sandwich plates to handwire soon.

I'd potentially be interested

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #525 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 19:36:59 »
I have completed my revival of this keyboard by making a bottom 1/8 inch layer with M3 standoffs and all it costed was 12$ plus shipping for the acrylic and I already had the standoff. the bottom layer is attached

it turned out my problems were completely firmware related so i went ahead and compiled a QMK project for the GH36 (attached)

typing one this keyboard with no problems, and I love it, and it brings a happy ending I think to the whole thing, a month or so ago I wrote this keyboard off as trash pile. now its good enough to be a daily.

cheers closure

https://flic.kr/s/aHskHBpfFS

edit bonus images with GMK Yuri and slight tenting/shock absorption

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 September 2018, 13:24:11 by Glod »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 15:21:58 »
Love the board! Are those cables you repurposed from something else, or are did you sleeve them specifically for the GH36?