Author Topic: Gateron vs Cherry switches  (Read 38022 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Gateron vs Cherry switches
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 16:41:12 »
I personally prefer the Cherry switches, from what I have seen gateron switches always seem to get stuck when you first press them.

That is not true, you may instead use them yourself to report your own experience.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:33:06 »
You can't compare Cherry MX switches to Topres (Gaterons are a clone of Cherry MX).

Sure you can. People do it often. Topre feels closest to either MX Red or Brown, in my opinion. MX Browns aren't as smooth as Topre though, and feel a bit scratchy by comparison to me. However, I was curious about the smoothness of Gateron switches vs. the smoothness of Topre switches.
Nope we can't compare the feel of topre to any other switches!

Its crazy when you think that tomatoes is the same as steak 😂

Is Topre tomatoes or steak?
Steak of course
Vintage Blacks are GOAT. Been itching to get back to my B.face with Vintage Blacks, but waiting for a keycap set before pounding on it again.
Its that good?
Good read here on some Gateron Black vs Cherry Black, even some vintage comparisons.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70676.0
Absolutely cool thread!
I personally prefer the Cherry switches, from what I have seen gateron switches always seem to get stuck when you first press them.
Wait wat? Never heard of this

Offline Prelim

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:41:20 »
All my boards have blacks, vintage blacks and gateron blacks (I'm a linear kind of guy :P )

I honestly think Gateron is a nice switch, but the only thing making a difference (smoothness) on them is really the slider. The quality and construction is overall lower than Cherry and they DO HAVE the stuck problem with cherry profile caps (thin pbt, thick pbt, pom, doubleshots) and SA profile AFAIK... I have to use normal Cherry tops on them to avoid this HUGE problem. (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70376.0)

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:48:33 by Prelim »
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Prelim

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:55:00 »
btw, also why Zealios sucks: http://imgur.com/a/dLD6I
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline antCB

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 07:47:18 »
@Prelim by "stuck" you mean the keys being harder to pop out of place, right? cause in terms of chattering or actual internal structure being stuck, I've had 0 issues yet (i'm also aware that the switches are very "new" in my board, 1 month old +/-, and that chattering issues/other issues could happen further down the road).
Steelseries 6GV2 ISO-PT with Gateron Blues.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 08:28:30 »

The fix noted at the bottom of that link was observed by Zeal, and he's taken measures to correct the chattering issues for the R2 GB switches that are coming.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 08:33:20 »
Nah don't listen to this trolls

They fixed the chatter issues tho

If they have been fixed why do people still complain about them?

Offline Prelim

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:29:44 »
@Prelim by "stuck" you mean the keys being harder to pop out of place, right?

I mean exactly the problem shown in the video. the cap stem gets "blocked" by the switch top housing.

the newest transparent Gateron top share the old design, so the problem still remains :/ The only effective solution is to use Cherry switch tops instead, as I said before (I also modded a few Gats tops myself using a dremel, but I think it's too much work and can also result in some more switch whobbleling afterwards)
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:33:05 by Prelim »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:48:34 »

If they have been fixed why do people still complain about them?
Like you said in the recent post "everybody are always complaining"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:09:36 »

The fix noted at the bottom of that link was observed by Zeal, and he's taken measures to correct the chattering issues for the R2 GB switches that are coming.

R2 GB? Like Gateron Rev 2 Group Buy? Soon? Am I missing something?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:16:45 »
Is there such a thing as vintage clears?  :-\

Offline kohi

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:33:07 »

I watched some videos of custom korean builds a while ago, and some of the switches were labeled to be vintaged mx clears, so it could be possible..
maybe harvested from an old g80 board or something -shrugs- :-\

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:42:29 »

yes
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:58:08 »
Sweet. What years would be considered "vintage clears," if any.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:12:59 »
Sweet. What years would be considered "vintage clears," if any.

Sounds like we're talking about the "good wine years"  :p

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:14:32 »

Specifically Zealios, but "soon" as in the GB ends at the end of this month and orders will be fulfilled shortly after.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78773.0

Zeal has mentioned the leafs have had an adjustment for the reported chattering issues.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:16:06 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline robbles

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:55:52 »
I had a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Blues and it was a terrible experience. Coming from Cherry MX Blues before that, the Gaterons sounded incredibly cheap. The click is more like a really high pitched ping that I could not stand. Also had 2 faulty switches. Seems like as far as linear switches are concerned though, Gaterons seem to be the way to go. Still haven't tried Zealios but really want to.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 00:46:31 »
I had a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Blues and it was a terrible experience. Coming from Cherry MX Blues before that, the Gaterons sounded incredibly cheap. The click is more like a really high pitched ping that I could not stand. Also had 2 faulty switches. Seems like as far as linear switches are concerned though, Gaterons seem to be the way to go. Still haven't tried Zealios but really want to.
You're the only person that doesn't like gat blues cause everybody loves em right?

Offline robbles

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 02:10:04 »
You're the only person that doesn't like gat blues cause everybody loves em right?

Seems the love is mostly for the linears? You just can't replicate the sound of Cherry Blues. From my experience, save your time with Gateron Blues and lube up some Cherry Blues.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:28:56 »

Specifically Zealios, but "soon" as in the GB ends at the end of this month and orders will be fulfilled shortly after.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78773.0

Zeal has mentioned the leafs have had an adjustment for the reported chattering issues.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:20:54 »
Idk genuine modern Cherry MX Blue is already annoyingly high-pitched and cheap.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:25:31 »
From my experience, save your time with Gateron Blues and lube up some Cherry Blues.

lubing blues? lol, seems legit...

Offline robbles

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:39:15 »
From my experience, save your time with Gateron Blues and lube up some Cherry Blues.

To get rid of the scratchiness which isn't present on Gaterons. I wish I still had my board with Gateron Blues so I could do a typing comparison video. Maybe it was the difference in board and not switches but the sound was really bad. And I'm a lover of clicky switches.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:12:12 »
you can't lube MX blues AFAIK... or you'll get the slider to stick and loose all the tactility/clicky sound of it! If you love blue switches, then you should know better...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:07:04 »

Seems the love is mostly for the linears? You just can't replicate the sound of Cherry Blues. From my experience, save your time with Gateron Blues and lube up some Cherry Blues.

oh god

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:07:26 »
you can't lube MX blues AFAIK... or you'll get the slider to stick and loose all the tactility/clicky sound of it! If you love blue switches, then you should know better...

It ruins the switch :))

Offline robbles

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:18:25 »

If you apply a tiny amount to the slider it doesn't quiet the click and makes for a smother down press. As long as you're not doing this, you're fine.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:19:35 »

If you apply a tiny amount to the slider it doesn't quiet the click and makes for a smother down press. As long as you're not doing this, you're fine.

I've never lubed a blue switch that didn't feel different enough to me to dislike it. I'd certainly be interested to feel one of these perfect blue switches you're talking about someday if they exist

Offline Prelim

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:51:53 »

ROFL, that video... what a mess, what a jerk!! @@

"congrats, you have now ruined your mx blues"  :eek: :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:54:09 by Prelim »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 20:05:03 »

To get rid of the scratchiness which isn't present on Gaterons. I wish I still had my board with Gateron Blues so I could do a typing comparison video. Maybe it was the difference in board and not switches but the sound was really bad. And I'm a lover of clicky switches.
If you are a lover of clicky switch I advise you to get either a model f or some blue alps! But what the hell cherry blues sucks ass man

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:36:21 »

If you are a lover of clicky switch I advise you to get either a model f or some blue alps! But what the hell cherry blues sucks ass man

Totally agree. Everyone who's had long experiences with keyboards--okay, mostly everyone--steers clear of MX Blues after trying buckling springs and Alps blues.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:20:34 »

Totally agree. Everyone who's had long experiences with keyboards--okay, mostly everyone--steers clear of MX Blues after trying buckling springs and Alps blues.
But I have to say that I can't appreciate blue alps cause they are just not as good as everyone say!. well Capacitive buckling spring next tho

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:55:43 »
For those wondering if it is possible to use a gateron stem/ top with cherry switches, my experience is that there is too much wobble. I tried to mix cherry blacks and gateron linears with clear tops.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 20:10:06 »
There is no question, the pressure  to actuate the  switch is definitely lighter.  I think they both actuate at about 45g, but the cherry brown switch has to overcome the peak resistance, which is around 55g.  With so little resistance to press the Gateron brown, I find that just resting my fingers on the home row I get accidental keystrokes, which I never get with Cherry.

One thing that absolutely drives me bonkers is the chatter or extra keystrokes, specifically on the space bar.  I  constantly have to go back and correct these mistakes.  If anyone has any tips on how to combat this I'd be much oblidged.  I did update the firmware to V107, which is the most recent.  Somedays I think I like the Gateron V60 better, and others I  like  the poker 3 better.  I can't decide, so I keep both.

You have to open the switch and bend a small metal contact a very small amount to fix the chatter.  There was a detailed post on that, with pictures, awhile back but I don't have it.  You can try to search for the post.  I believe new runs of those switches fixed that issue.
Where can I find the new run ones? I want to buy gateron switch but I don't want to run into this issues

I did not know this was possible.  My first gateron v60 the metal frame was actually bent at the  space bar, so this probably accounted for  this chatter, but my replacement one chatters too and this is really  getting annoying.  It's ONLY the  space bar that does it.   I'm not being lazy, but  does anybody  know where this posting is?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 08:34:37 »
For those wondering if it is possible to use a gateron stem/ top with cherry switches, my experience is that there is too much wobble. I tried to mix cherry blacks and gateron linears with clear tops.

Just for the record: I use clear Cherry stems with Gateron bottoms and clear tops with no issues whatsoever, they have gold 67g Sprit's springs.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 14:25:22 »

I received my second board (actualy third, the first was the wrong model) in mid-January and it still has bad space bar chatter, even with updated firmware.  This is pretty recent.  I replaced the spacebar switch on the previous board with some extra switches the manufacturer sent me, but and it didn't fix the problem.  I have yet to open the case of the new one and attempt to replace the switch.  Does anybody else have any similar issues or am I just super unlucky?

I can't find this posting with the switch mod to address this chatter issue.

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:26:47 »

I received my second board (actualy third, the first was the wrong model) in mid-January and it still has bad space bar chatter, even with updated firmware.  This is pretty recent.  I replaced the spacebar switch on the previous board with some extra switches the manufacturer sent me, but and it didn't fix the problem.  I have yet to open the case of the new one and attempt to replace the switch.  Does anybody else have any similar issues or am I just super unlucky?

I've never had chatter issues with gaterons before

Offline axtran

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:32:07 »
I have soldered hundreds of Gaterons with no issues, Zealios as well as the standard frosties. Are you guys just going YOLO at 800F to get chatter issues?

Also, I only own GMK, OG Cherry, or BSP keycaps and haven't had issues with keycap compatibility on Gateron either...
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 01:23:24 »
Gateron switches on various board, I never had chatter issue, nor catching issues (SA,cherry OG, gaterons)
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline axtran

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 05:41:29 »

What board? I do know that KBP Gateron boards had chatter issues, but they were firmware related and not mechanical.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:05:23 »
Yes, this is the KBP v60.  I have already installed the most recent firmware.  I can deal with chatter from any key except the space bar.  That is incredibly annoying.  Is this the guide that was mentioned?  It discusses fixing the chatter issue within this switch by further bending the contacts?  Ripster put this together.

imgur.com/gallery/fyxIg

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 23:18:49 »
Are Gateron's blues more consistent sounding and feeling than Cherry Mx blues?
I have a Poker 3 blue where some switches are weak, while others are loud.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:45:12 »
Has anyone compared the Gaterons to the Greetech?

I have heard the Greetechs are smoother than MX Blues but not as smooth as Gateron.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 05:46:01 »
I can compare Gateron Blacks to modern MX Blacks.
The Gaterons indeed are smoother.
But, they get stuck if you have cherry profiled keycaps mounted and press the key off center (towards the bottom of the keycap).
It is not so bad, that you couldn't use Cherry profiled caps... you just get a little resistance if you accidentally hit the keys off centered.

EDIT: OEM profiled keycaps are buttery smooth, no matter where you hit them.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:11:33 »
Has anyone compared the Gaterons to the Greetech?

I have heard the Greetechs are smoother than MX Blues but not as smooth as Gateron.

I like the Greetechs a bit more than Cherry, but definitely not as much as Gateron

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:13:09 »
Same opinion from me as hwood34. I like Gaterons -> Greetech -> Cherry

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:38:57 »
*snip* But, they get stuck if you have cherry profiled keycaps mounted and press the key off center (towards the bottom of the keycap).
It is not so bad, that you couldn't use Cherry profiled caps... you just get a little resistance if you accidentally hit the keys off centered.

EDIT: OEM profiled keycaps are buttery smooth, no matter where you hit them.

Good to know! I'm currently experiencing stuck keys (KBTalking blacks = Greetechs from what I'm reading) on my new MK Disco using Vortex PBT+POM doubleshots (OEM profile).  It's driving me nuts too.  Of course the garbage thin ABS caps work just fine though.  I've been considering returning it and modding another deck I have with Gateron blacks (linear dude, and I don't feel like lubing/spring modding switches, so the Gat blacks would prolly feel about in the 'sweet spot' for me!). 
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!