Author Topic: SP ABS Color Ring Scans  (Read 164940 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: SP ABS Color Ring Scans
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 21:52:00 »
When I got home I compared the WFK and the WA chips, and they look like the scans. The WA is very slightly warmer, and the WFK is the whitest.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 21:57:30 »
Can we get some different angles of the VAG? I enjoy looking at it.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 23:51:36 »
Can we get some different angles of the VAG? I enjoy looking at it.

:))

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 08:13:20 »
I tried to apply the slightest calibration. This is the result:

http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/abs.php

I also updated the Color Chooser:

http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/

I hand calibrated some of the colors, still not perfect but definitely better!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:16:55 »
matteo has access and can re-share the dropbox folder that dianoda and i set up for this. matteo: it's called 'geekhack photoshare' or something like that

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 11:51:48 »
EDIT: from the Flickr stream, you can access the really large images, but they're JPGs, not TIFF files. I'm not sure if that would matter to your calibration, Matt, but in either case, the WA and WFK appear the same.

I didn't realize that Flickr would convert the images. I'll post the native files on my server for those that want to download them.

Edit: Feel free to put these URLs in the OP if you like.

Blues: http://l.mashby.com/Zs44
Brown-Whites: http://l.mashby.com/cjGz
Colors: http://l.mashby.com/n3LJ
Greys 1: http://l.mashby.com/hydi
Greys 2: http://l.mashby.com/sdsm

Added to the OP, thanks Mashby!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:17:29 »
it looks like i sent dianoda's abs ring to the wrong address :facepalm:

standby

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 08:55:12 »
a-ha! he is retrieving it today

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 09:06:25 »
I just ordered a PBT Color ring from SP and have it shipping to Krogenar.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 09:09:30 »
I just ordered a PBT Color ring from SP and have it shipping to Krogenar.

yahtzee!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 09:12:31 »
huzzah!!

i have something special in the mail by the way. POLYCARBONATE COLOR RING YAAAAA

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 09:13:14 »
huzzah!!

i have something special in the mail by the way. POLYCARBONATE COLOR RING YAAAAA

WHOA! :o

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 12:43:18 »
huzzah!!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:41:10 »
Mashby, I got the PBT ring just a few minutes ago. I think I'll scan them as I did the others, but maybe one row at a time, and every row (regardless of colors) will include the white and black chip in order to color correct? I'm hoping that would help Matt out.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:49:41 »
Mashby, I got the PBT ring just a few minutes ago. I think I'll scan them as I did the others, but maybe one row at a time, and every row (regardless of colors) will include the white and black chip in order to color correct? I'm hoping that would help Matt out.

That would be great! Thanks!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:39:23 »

That would be great! Thanks!

No problem. I'm also going to try to use the white chip to offset the chips from the scanner edge -- so that the files won't be so oddly cropped this time around.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 19:21:46 »
Ok, these are not the full resolution scans. They're resized and saved as JPGs.

This first one is just to indicate my new method, which I hope will give us better scans, or at least scans that can be more easily color-corrected.
The top row includes the most apparently white chip and the black chip. This top row will remain the same for all subsequent scans. This will give Matt the white reference he needs.
Also, everything will be shifted away from the edge of the platen, so that none of the chips on the side are clipped.

More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 19:24:48 »
So if that works alright for you Matt, you can color correct those images, shoot them back to me, and then I'll crop them out. This time I'm going to try to crop them a bit nicer, with the full chip visible.
More

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 00:34:16 »
So, I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got my hands on the SP ABS color wheel from mkawa.  I'm planning to start shooting these tomorrow night, and should be able to upload results either tomorrow night or possibly Friday depending on how things go (I'm planning to have this taken care before the weekend is out, as I will be out of town travelling for work for nearly a week beginning on Sun).

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 04:46:57 »
So, I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally got my hands on the SP ABS color wheel from mkawa.  I'm planning to start shooting these tomorrow night, and should be able to upload results either tomorrow night or possibly Friday depending on how things go (I'm planning to have this taken care before the weekend is out, as I will be out of town travelling for work for nearly a week beginning on Sun).

Looking forward to seeing them!
More

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 09:22:39 »

Looking forward to seeing them!

Well, something blew up at work yesterday and I ended up working until just past midnight... totally did not get around to taking photos.  This evening, though, is a much safer bet.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 09:37:32 »
More PBT! We want mooooar! :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:10:36 »
More PBT! We want mooooar! :D

I did the main scans last night, but lost a single chip (dark brown) in one of those cases where you drop something small on the floor, and would swear that mouselike, the item dashes under something, and is actively hiding from you. There should be a "FUUUUUU-" emoticon, but whatever. I've got four major scans, and each scan includes the white and black chip, for color calibration purposes. Also, as stated earlier, the tiles are not squared up against the edge of the scanning platen, so no chips will end up be overcropped.

So now what?

Matt, should we get these original scans (600dpi TIFF files) sent over to you to calibrate and modify the colors? Would you color correct and THEN send them back to me for cropping out of the individual tiles? How do you think we should proceed?
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:31:40 »
Matt, should we get these original scans (600dpi TIFF files) sent over to you to calibrate and modify the colors? Would you color correct and THEN send them back to me for cropping out of the individual tiles? How do you think we should proceed?

sure, that works for me. I can help cropping them if you want.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:49:04 »

sure, that works for me. I can help cropping them if you want.

Ok, so... should I upload to Mashby as before? You can sure help me crop them if you want! That's the most tedious part of this, LOL. I'm working on making a selection window that cuts out the 'hole' in the chip, and has properly rounded corners. I will upload tonight in a few hours when I'm home.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:50:54 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:58:55 »
Mashby's place is fine if still available. Or shared dropbox.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 11:43:14 »
I am ready to receive.  :))

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:14:48 »
ok i've tossed everyone into the dropbox folder i set up for this. start populating go go go!

also, if anyone needs a copy of any adobe software to facilitate in this project, please let me know.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:15:15 »
ok i've tossed everyone into the dropbox folder i set up for this. start populating go go go!

also, if anyone needs a copy of any adobe software to facilitate in this project, please let me know.

I uploaded a .zip file of all the ABS .TIFF files to the folder.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 23:26:52 »
I uploaded the raw file for this jpeg to the dropbox folder (note to mobile/low bandwidth users - the link below is a direct link to a 14+MB jpeg):

http://i.minus.com/itkV5PFrQ4sjD.JPG

The photo was taken using the sRGB color space, and the jpeg has been color-corrected using the gray card in the photo.  The light could definitely be more even (I don't own much in the way of large scale diffusers), and the exposure isn't quite perfect - so I'm planning to give this another go tomorrow morning to see if I can get the lighting straightened out.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 05:41:37 »
I uploaded the raw file for this jpeg to the dropbox folder (note to mobile/low bandwidth users - the link below is a direct link to a 14+MB jpeg):

http://i.minus.com/itkV5PFrQ4sjD.JPG

The photo was taken using the sRGB color space, and the jpeg has been color-corrected using the gray card in the photo.  The light could definitely be more even (I don't own much in the way of large scale diffusers), and the exposure isn't quite perfect - so I'm planning to give this another go tomorrow morning to see if I can get the lighting straightened out.

... and he placed a white and black chip across a gray tile -- good idea!
More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 07:42:36 »
diffusing is much easier than creating good light. grab some tracing paper from the local art store (7$, 1.5x10^7 ft long roll -- i literally asked for the crappiest workable paper they had). cut out the sides of a large cardboard box (as usual i'm partial to USPS FRBs), cover open areas with tracing paper, power your flashes at the tracing paper panels. linkage: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

i have like every part of this i need (ok, except for strobes, but i have some serious CFL lighting), i even have petg tubing to form the frame instead of cardboard, which i compulsively recycle since i go through so much of it... and i still haven't done this. sigh.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:45:44 »
All new PBT scans are uploaded to Mashby's account. Once they're color-corrected, if you send them back my way I'll crop out the individual tiles.

EDIT: Noticing on Dianoda's photos that the WA does not seem to have a magenta component at all. And yet when I look at my chip, I see it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:47:44 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:57:20 »
Yeah, something fishy is going on with my reds - in the jpeg at least, they all look rather muddy.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 12:16:27 »
Yeah, something fishy is going on with my reds - in the jpeg at least, they all look rather muddy.

Or my chips could just be different, or my scans could be color-shifted.

EDIT: Mashby has my new scans for PBT chips.
More

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:03:25 »
Okay, round 2.  Having the color checker passport combined with better light means that this should be reasonably accurate as far as color response goes - here's a link to the white balance calibrated converted jpeg (sRGB, about 12MB):

http://i.minus.com/iLfDYbxVEUagX.jpg

I'll upload the raw from this photo to dropbox, but ideally you'd need a copy of the x-rite color profile creator software to calibrate color response (I'm not sure if you can download it for free or not).

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 14:12:24 »
An update:

• I zipped up the .TIFF files of the PBT scans and put them in the community DropBox.
  • I also created a new set on Flickr, which converts everything into a JPEG, but will at least give an easy source from which people can browse, or link to.
  • Last but not least, I also zipped up the .TIFF master files and put them on Droplr so that they can be downloaded by anyone. Links below

Yellow & Reds Master Scan by cpkey, on Flickr

Greens Master Scan by cpkey, on Flickr

Grays Master Scan by cpkey, on Flickr

Blues Master Scan by cpkey, on Flickr

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 14:28:31 »
you are a rockstar mashby!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 14:37:56 »
you are a rockstar mashby!

Isn't he, though? Matt, let me know how they came out in terms of color correcting.
More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 21:26:32 »
wow, excellent exposure control dianoda. also, i assume the colorchecker passport came with an i1 display pro. how do you like it?

i'm a little worried about the exposure the scanner chose on those PBT scans, mashby, but it could be an issue with the jpg conversion crushing the highlights.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 12:06:34 »
i'm a little worried about the exposure the scanner chose on those PBT scans, mashby, but it could be an issue with the jpg conversion crushing the highlights.

When I view the original TIFF files, they look very, very bright to me as well. :(
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:29:38 »
So where are we? Matt, what did you think of the PBT scans? Should I start cropping out the tiles, or did you want to color tweak those images beforehand?
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 16:51:15 »
sorry, couldn't work on it yet. The picture seems overexposed, anyway I'll work on it tomorrow.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 06:45:56 »
are WDG and WAN really the same?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 12:48:12 »

I'll check them out tonight.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 19:45:05 »

I'll check them out tonight.

The chips, sitting side-by-side on my desk look remarkably similar, yes. The WAN chip could be slightly darker. And when I say slightly I mean that it's nearly indistinguishable. If I flip them over (so that the code is not showing) and hold them a few inches apart, they're hard to distinguish. Here's a photo composite to illustrate. Should I crop out the original scans, or do you think you want to try to color correct?
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 August 2013, 19:46:57 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 00:45:08 »
thanks for checking.

go ahead and crop :) I will probably color correct them slightly for RGB conversion, but it would be a quite subjective calibration.

The only picture I can safely calibrate is the one Dianoda took.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 06:55:36 »

Well, then shouldn't we just use his scans? If his are more accurate, then let's go with his scans.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 07:10:51 »

Well, then shouldn't we just use his scans? If his are more accurate, then let's go with his scans.

we don't have the full color ring though

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 09:09:44 »

we don't have the full color ring though

So, Dianoda hasn't photographed the rest of the PBT ring? Meh, I don't see the point in cropping out the chips if Dianoda's are going to represent the color more accurately. I guess we can wait until he's done.
More