Author Topic: [IC] wilba.tech Thermal - PREORDER NOW  (Read 81541 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] wilba.tech Thermal
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 13:59:06 »
... There are literally 3 plate colors, 2 if you don’t count the default BEAM one.
That qualifies as “too many SKUs” to you?
And please, don’t make it sound like SKU management is some sort of extraordinarily hard feat that few others have any idea about. It’s a normal part of any business making physical stuffs. I know because I work in one too.
Yes, I’m expecting more from Rama, because unlike others, they are running a business here, not a hobby project. It’s literally their job.

ok

PS: if you don't wanna be treated like "others have no idea about" then don't act like you aren't aware of why things are the way they are.

PPS: you're still coughing up the $30.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2019, 14:03:13 by Vigrith »

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 05:09:47 »
... There are literally 3 plate colors, 2 if you don’t count the default BEAM one.
And please, don’t make it sound like SKU management is some sort of extraordinarily hard feat that few others have any idea about. It’s a normal part of any business making physical stuffs. I know because I work in one too.
Yes, I’m expecting more from Rama, because unlike others, they are running a business here, not a hobby project. It’s literally their job.

ok

PS: if you don't wanna be treated like "others have no idea about" then don't act like you aren't aware of why things are the way they are.

Kinda sliding myself out of nowhere here but on top of the logistics, I think it's also about money. It's not a limited gb per say nor is it a raffle and it lasts for quite a while for a board gb (even keysets run for just a month). And because the price of the board is that low they know they're going to have a ton of orders so they use this to get some extra cash out of it. It's a sucky thing to do but it's business. But it's not just Rama, it's becoming a trend, remember the R2 of Oblivion? I was so happy to see so many flexibility in the kits when it was in IC but it got really cut out on the final Drop gb page. I originally wanted to get a base Git kit and get the regular and monochrome mods separately but whadaya know, when it's gb time, you have to choose between the 3 because they all have the entire kit attached to it. I could live without the regular mods but I had to let go of the monochrome mods because I didn't want to pay 150 bucks to have 2/3 of the keyset sitting gathering dust. Here it's kind of the same. You want to have the black and red look? Well pay more buddy. And I expect the same type of stuff in the future for every board/sets that has a lot of hype and is sure to sell like crazy. Mark my words if there is a R2 of GMK Serika (I think there will be but in a long time I think) there will be stuff like that. They need that extra cash flow to compensate for the increase in logistics but it's also a cheap way to get your S T O N K S up. But what do I know that's just my opinion and despite all this I'm still going to grab the extra red plate so...

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 05:55:32 »

ok

Kinda sliding myself out of nowhere here but on top of the logistics, I think it's also about money. It's not a limited gb per say nor is it a raffle and it lasts for quite a while for a board gb (even keysets run for just a month). And because the price of the board is that low they know they're going to have a ton of orders so they use this to get some extra cash out of it. It's a sucky thing to do but it's business. But it's not just Rama, it's becoming a trend, remember the R2 of Oblivion? I was so happy to see so many flexibility in the kits when it was in IC but it got really cut out on the final Drop gb page. I originally wanted to get a base Git kit and get the regular and monochrome mods separately but whadaya know, when it's gb time, you have to choose between the 3 because they all have the entire kit attached to it. I could live without the regular mods but I had to let go of the monochrome mods because I didn't want to pay 150 bucks to have 2/3 of the keyset sitting gathering dust. Here it's kind of the same. You want to have the black and red look? Well pay more buddy. And I expect the same type of stuff in the future for every board/sets that has a lot of hype and is sure to sell like crazy. Mark my words if there is a R2 of GMK Serika (I think there will be but in a long time I think) there will be stuff like that. They need that extra cash flow to compensate for the increase in logistics but it's also a cheap way to get your S T O N K S up. But what do I know that's just my opinion and despite all this I'm still going to grab the extra red plate so...

No.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 05:55:51 »

ok

I can 100% guarantee you that the decision of how I structured the Oblivion V2 kits was entirely based on how I felt it would accommodate the average buyer best. Most scenarios of the old kit structure would have brought the shopping cart to near or over 200$. I did not like that at all and so I changed it that it would be sub 200$ even with the alternate Alphas when fitting a single keyboard. People wanting to fill multiple boards are a minority and thus not my primary concern when I made that change.

Offline gMit

Re: [IC] wilba.tech Thermal - PREORDER NOW
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:29:47 »
Not sure what the real issue is, buy another plate

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:34:47 »
A lot of us are quite used to paying extra to get what we think should be included by default! It’s just one of those things we have to put up with in this hobby. Paying for things we don’t intend to use.

The way I think of it is, it probably costs them very little to add a basic plate in with the kit for those who want to save some money, and the fancier plates would increase the cost a bit.

In keyboards it’s often the finish that increases the cost, not just the materials used.

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:37:11 »
All of a sudden people have forgotten that its common practice to offer a different plate as an extra purchase. So many buys offer PC, carbon fiber, brass plates at additional cost. A 30USD is MORE than reasonable for the price of an extra plate and is completely within reason. Stop being so entitled and let the talented people in charge run THEIR group buy and THEIR design the way THEY want

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 09:19:21 »
$30 is definitely reasonable for the plate; however, I don't think it's the price point that's the issue.

A lot of the sexy renders are black w/ a red plate.  Now that the sale is live, turns out that you gotta pay extra for that combo.  I think that took people by surprise and caused the wtf moment. 

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 10:44:50 »
$30 is definitely reasonable for the plate; however, I don't think it's the price point that's the issue.

A lot of the sexy renders are black w/ a red plate.  Now that the sale is live, turns out that you gotta pay extra for that combo.  I think that took people by surprise and caused the wtf moment. 

This is exactly the point.  $30 is nothing but it is simply peoples reaction to the renders showing one thing and the product offering another.  These have to be hand packaged anyway, so why not offer plate choices at point of order?

Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 12:25:09 »
I mean I wish you could pick the plate color, but I'm kind of surprised people expect that to be an option. After 2 M60-A runs where you weren't able to pick the backplate color you wanted, or a KOYU run where you couldn't mix and match colors, this just seems kind of par for the course. And 30$ for a detailed plate like that is incredibly reasonable. Much better than 85$ for another backplate. When I think of all the dumb **** I buy in this hobby, 30$ for an accent plate doesn't seem anywhere close to the top of that list.

Offline mlnr

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 00:10:05 »
the easiest buy of the year

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #361 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 07:10:09 »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 07:13:18 »

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER!

https://r.works/thermal

Thank you to everyone who showed support over the past few months.

If you would like to discuss Thermal with me and other people during the long wait for production to complete, join my Discord server: https://discord.gg/kq667tt

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:33:19 »

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER!

https://r.works/thermal

Thank you to everyone who showed support over the past few months.

If you would like to discuss Thermal with me and other people during the long wait for production to complete, join my Discord server: https://discord.gg/kq667tt

Please create a GB thread and link it here.  Updates to production should be posted in the GB thread.  If you want to chat in Discord that's fine, but the main source of information regarding status should be publicly available for posterity.  :thumb: