Author Topic: How are keycaps made?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline crbr

How are keycaps made?
« on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:43:58 »
I am becoming very curious about the different ways keycaps can be made.  Is there a source for information about how each kind of keycap is produced?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: How are keycaps made?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 17:43:43 »
They're injection molded.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 18:21:51 »
Keycap shells are injection molded.

The more interesting process is the legend printing process, for which there are several:

1. Pad printing
2. Laser etching
3. Dye sublimating
4. Double-shot molds

Sometimes a combination of the above (double-shot main legends with pad printed front legends, for example). I don't have links that describe each process in great detail.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 18:23:49 »
Keycap shells are injection molded.

The more interesting process is the legend printing process

:O  Take it back!  Injection molding is cool.  :(

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:11:49 »
Sorry. I only meant interesting in the sense that there is more to talk about/consider.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:18:24 »
Sorry. I only meant interesting in the sense that there is more to talk about/consider.

Haha, I figured as much.  But I have to defend my polymer processing!  :P

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:04:47 »
What about artisan keycaps?

Offline crbr

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:09:08 »

Yeah, I am guessing a lot of artisans are 3d printed.  Is this considered injection molded?  Aren't there many different plastics that can be used, and don't those plastics require different processes/heating?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:17:01 »

Yeah, I am guessing a lot of artisans are 3d printed.  Is this considered injection molded?  Aren't there many different plastics that can be used, and don't those plastics require different processes/heating?

Most artisans are cast. They are thermosets, meaning they cure and are permanently in that shape.

Injection molding is thermoplastic resin that is reheated to melt it and injected to form the shape. Thermoplastics can be remelted and reformed.

Polymer chemistry is fun.  :D

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:39:25 »

Most artisans are cast. They are thermosets, meaning they cure and are permanently in that shape.

Injection molding is thermoplastic resin that is reheated to melt it and injected to form the shape. Thermoplastics can be remelted and reformed.

Polymer chemistry is fun.  :D

I am familiar with injection molding, but not with casting. Would someone please explain what a keycap artisan would actually do in order to produce a keycap design using the casting technique?
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:51:51 by Eric-T »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 23:24:55 »
There are casting tutorials here if you search for them. Use Google search and add site:geekhack.org to the end of your search terms.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:55:13 »
The more interesting process is the legend printing process, for which there are several:
There is a more reading in the Keycap printing article on the Deskthority Wiki about regular mass-produced keycaps.
All mass-produced keycaps are injection-moulded: a plastic is melted and injected into a steel mould at high pressure and then cooled.
A full set is usually moulded at once with spouts between all caps - called a "parts tree". The individual caps are then broken off from the parts tree, leaving small marks usually situated at the back of each keycap.
I think Signature Plastics and GMK often cast smaller shots at once, though.

Most mass-produced plastic parts are made the same way. The mould and machine cost a great deal but each individual cast is cheap. That is why small runs of keycaps are more expensive and keyboards made in the tens of thousands are cheap.

I am familiar with injection molding, but not with casting. Would someone please explain what a keycap artisan would actually do in order to produce a keycap design using the casting technique?
You will be able to find lots of articles and Youtube videos if you search for "resin casting" - those should show you the basics. There are two main types of room-temperature resins: (poly)urethane and epoxy, and a large amount of varieties of each, where not every one would withstand being pounded by fingers every day.
Also, to avoid bubbles in in clear casts you would need a compressor and pressure chamber to de-gas the resin before pouring.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 13:33:22 by Findecanor »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 09:27:15 »
It was one Christmas night, Mama ABS and Papa ABS had a little too much to drink.

Things are heating up and they fumbled and fell into the casting machine.  Papa ABS decides that he didn't like the feel of the rubber (o-ring) so they decide to just go at it without it.  Mama ABS and Papa ABS had a moment of intimacy and bonded together.

Few minutes after, and a double shot was born.

Son, this is how keycaps were made.  Also remember to always use o-ring.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline crbr

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 13:18:51 »
It was one Christmas night, Mama ABS and Papa ABS had a little too much to drink.

Things are heating up and they fumbled and fell into the casting machine.  Papa ABS decides that he didn't like the feel of the rubber (o-ring) so they decide to just go at it without it.  Mama ABS and Papa ABS had a moment of intimacy and bonded together.

Few minutes after, and a double shot was born.

Son, this is how keycaps were made.  Also remember to always use o-ring.

:)) LOL