Author Topic: Laptop Mic and Headset Port Help  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Laptop Mic and Headset Port Help
« on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 22:56:59 »
So my laptop only has one port for a 2 in 1 mic and headphone headset. Anybody know a way to get my headset and mic to work together?  I tried plugging in a mic and headphone into a splitter into the port, but it doesn;t work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Opened up my jlab mic+earbud combo, and nothing popped up while in audacity. I think a USB mic and headphone thing is the only option
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 23:01:48 by Pacifist »

Offline munch

• !
Re: Laptop Mic and Headset Port Help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:00:09 »
there's this cheapo USB soundcard that is all over ebay, I got one - but a fair warning, volume is far too loud for pretty much any headphone I tried it with. I set OS volume to 1% to get listenable levels. :(
it works wonders for microphone though, which is what I got it for at first.

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:44:51 »
So you are using a 4 conductor to 3 + 2 conductor splitter, or what does this splitter you use do?

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:28:57 »
trrs to dual trs adapter is what you need. Just search iphone headset adapter, very easy to find.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:30:28 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 17:44:33 »
trrs to dual trs adapter is what you need. Just search iphone headset adapter, very easy to find.

Although when using a TRRS then microphone is only mono. Hence there is no need to have the 3rd conductor on one of them. So TRS and TS would be sufficient enough for the task.

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline tooki

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 04:13:48 »
So my laptop only has one port for a 2 in 1 mic and headphone headset. Anybody know a way to get my headset and mic to work together?  I tried plugging in a mic and headphone into a splitter into the port, but it doesn;t work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Opened up my jlab mic+earbud combo, and nothing popped up while in audacity. I think a USB mic and headphone thing is the only option

Assuming it is indeed a combo headset port, then you simply need this: http://www.amazon.com/Exclusives®-Headset-3-5mm-Smartphone-Adapter/dp/B00D6NPH88/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1402477827&sr=8-7&keywords=iphone+headset+adapter

That or an external USB soundcard. But I've had rather mixed results with the really cheap ones, so I'd use onboard audio if you can.