Author Topic: Ducky 1087xm problem  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Bencze

Ducky 1087xm problem
« on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:55:38 »
Greetings,

I have a small problem however I see this is my first post here so I'll introduce myself if you don't mind.

I'm just another IT guy from Europe that has been searching for a 'proper' keyboard since 10+ years. Back at the university late 90s, early 2000s we had a lot of crappy old keyboards but there was this one that was my favorite and as I became sysadmin I sort of took it and used it for some years. I have no idea what was under the keys, anyway, even if I could not type properly (did not learn in school) and was more like smashing keys instead of typing, this nice soft touch keyboard with the tactile feedback felt really great. I also met a few other nice ones, probably model M copies that were different but still great in a way.

Since I own a pc I was always looking for a 'proper' keyboard and I never found one, they always felt... not even sure how I would call it in hungarian, anyway, sticky, or something.

In the past months I have been reading up a lot on keyboards, and soon found this forum to be some kind of reference that I search up for any 'reliable' information. I recently got a cm qfr with blues and I am already trying to infect a couple of colleagues (gave them to try for a day each, muhahaha :) ).

Now onto the current problem. I wanted to experiment (and wanted a 'spare' keyboard as well) and got myself a Ducky 10787xm with green alps, whatever that means (I never got the Alps thingy, anyway, it's tactile). For the 33$ it's quite worse than the CM but I may get used to wobbly keys and not pressing them hard so the case doesn't bend, not moving it much so usb cable doesn't lose contact etc.

But! Some keys get stuck. Left arrow, right control, right shift (so far that I've seen), I press them and they stay there. Need to give them some kicking so they release. Any idea what could cause this and if I could fix it? I don't use these keys a lot, but I am also learning to type properly since a few days and for that I will need at least the shift. :/

this is it:
http://global.pchome.com.tw/english/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A58945616&searchkey=1087xm

(Sorry for the essay, when I got it I hated this keyboard in the first minute but now it seems I started to like the sadistic rattle it makes... makes me feel good not sure why.)
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Ducky 1087xm problem
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 16:20:17 »
Welcome to the forum!

I followed much the same path you did, and I also have a CM board (the 104-key Trigger).  And I just bought a DK1087XM from PC Home.   ;D

As soon as I got the Ducky keyboard I did replace most of the keycaps, and I can attest that the stock caps were on pretty loose.  I'm assuming you've gone over the board and pressed each key down firmly, to make sure they're seated?  I didn't have any issues with stuck switches, and I can't reproduce the issue you've noted.

By the way, I loaned the Ducky board to one of my co-workers who had asked if I had any keyboards with "really light keys," and she loves it.  It's a bit clicky for my tastes, but I've got a lot of salvaged Alps keycaps and I needed a board I could actually use them with.

Offline Bencze

Re: Ducky 1087xm problem
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 01:28:34 »
Thanks for your reply. I did press them several times to make sure they're seated fine. I don't know if it's the switch or the key stuck. I will need to get my key remover back and look under the keys, maybe it's just a matter of oiling some parts?

Is the 'standard' key remover for the QFR good for removing keys from this alps keyboard?
If I want to remove Shift, is it difficult? I am not sure if Shift has any special stabilizer (probably, big key), and how it works, don't want to break it.
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-