Author Topic: Elven Keycaps: Looking for the unicorn  (Read 4078 times)

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Elven Keycaps: Looking for the unicorn
« on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 11:25:41 »
So I've got a gift Idea I'm planning on putting together, I'm planning on putting together a white and green keyboard with Elven caps.

These right here would be ideal:
233057-0

but I'm in general looking around.

The friend who would be getting this keyboard is a close one I've known for a long time, and this would be a very very planned and specific gift for them, primarily because they actually write in Elvish from time to time.

I'm looking for someone who actually types in Tolkein's elvish, or writes in it, and I want to ask if keyboards with these characters can in fact do the job, there are a few other things planned to make this a doable thing for my friend, but I'm looking for the rare sort who would type in something like this.

I every so often need to type in Cyrillic, but that's it, this is pretty out of my depth, so if anyone has any ideas at all, or anything I should be looking out for to make this a reality, I'd appreciate it.

No timeline, I'll be working on this project until it's done, and then it will be either a christmas or birthday gift, depending on what time of year and when it is done.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline zslane

Re: Elven Keycaps: Looking for the unicorn
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 13:09:18 »
Matt3o would be the one to confirm this, but I do believe that the key assignments for the /dev/tty Sindarin kit match certain Tengwar fonts out there. Find the fonts, install them, and typing with that keycap set should work out pretty nicely.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Re: Elven Keycaps: Looking for the unicorn
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 19:13:53 »
Matt3o would be the one to confirm this, but I do believe that the key assignments for the /dev/tty Sindarin kit match certain Tengwar fonts out there. Find the fonts, install them, and typing with that keycap set should work out pretty nicely.

That's good info right there, and info that I can't find across the net, these really are often mostly just for show as opposed to actual use, which is cool, but makes my gift a little harder to put together.

I'll get Matt3o's attention on this post.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow