Author Topic: Is it possible to use a Racing Pedal as a Space Bar/Enter Key?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
I've got a spare racing pedal that I don't use for racing sims anymore. This sounds really stupid but is it possible to use the pedal to macro it to Space bar or Enter Key
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Is it possible to use a Racing Pedal as a Space Bar/Enter Key?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:18:02 »
Assuming it's pressure sensitive rather than a simple on/off switch you won't be able to wire it up to your keyboard, but if it connects directly to the computer via USB it might be possible if you can find or write a driver. 

I'm not sure it would be much use as an input key though - fingers move much quicker than feet so you'd probably hit it late consistently.  Most people use pedals as modifiers (shift/control/function layer) as it's more comfortable to hold a foot switch and doing so enables your hands to move freely.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:20:31 »
Yeah it connects via USB. Actually shift sounds A LOT better than my idea haha. I might see if I can write one if I can't find one. Thanks for your help!
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:26:51 »
No, only a toaster:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:30:30 »
More seriously though, sure, you can do it, but you need to have a driver that supports it. What operating system are you running?

(Or alternately, you might be able to replace the pedal’s microcontroller with your own, and make it directly pretend to be a keyboard.)

You might want to post this in 'input devices' or 'making stuff together' subforums, btw.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:06:05 »
My own experience with pedal keys hasn't been promising. Tried and tried, and just couldn't operate and coordinate pedals perfectly with fingers. If typing at a slow speed eg 35wpm feet and hands can work together fine, but there's no way to blast through with smooth usage of feet for shift and return and space when trying for 100 wpm.

If you can do this successfully, more power to you!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Ziggurat

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:51:35 »
Yes it totally possible to set up racing or flying pedals as keyboard keys. However I would not recommend it because such pedals are presented to the computer as axis, and the travel distance is very long. You might like it though, however there are other options, that will give you a tactile feedback. I'd find this a fun project to build, but there are commercial cheap solutions.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal/dp/B008MU0TBU

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 04:27:32 »
Yes it totally possible to set up racing or flying pedals as keyboard keys. However I would not recommend it because such pedals are presented to the computer as axis, and the travel distance is very long. You might like it though, however there are other options, that will give you a tactile feedback. I'd find this a fun project to build, but there are commercial cheap solutions.

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal/dp/B008MU0TBU

WTF that was freaking disgustingly dirt cheap. So Kinesis isn't the only player in this market? Whoops, my ignorance revealed.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:27:00 »
Axis, huh? The linked cheapo foot switch reports as an USB HID keyboard, and it indeed sucks. Too much travel, and remapping on hardware level can be done only in a nasty .NET-dependent pile of manure that they dare to call drivers. I have the triple one, got it for $20.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:43:37 »
Axis, huh? The linked cheapo foot switch reports as an USB HID keyboard, and it indeed sucks. Too much travel, and remapping on hardware level can be done only in a nasty .NET-dependent pile of manure that they dare to call drivers. I have the triple one, got it for $20.

So does that mean that these cheapo foot pedals are not worth buying? Thanks for saving my ass. I was really tempted.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:36:49 »
For typing, not really. Unless you want to mod it, at least for something like Esc in Vim.

I've used mine only as a nitro toggle in TuxKart since getting it.

Offline Ziggurat

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 05:23:12 »

A foot pedal for racing games or flying games show the amount of force you press down.

If OP is willing to spend a bit of money and do a bit of modding I suggest taking a guitar foot pedal and mod it to act as a USB HID device.