Author Topic: Best vfm keycaps?  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Cedific

Best vfm keycaps?
« on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 14:48:01 »
Meaning value for money. Looking to get a setup for trying out different switches, going for a hot-swappable and searching for some decent keycaps for it that are going to last through frequent switching around. I'm thinking it's best not to splurge on some 100€+ beautiful SA set for what is essentially a test-bed, so I was wondering what people's opinions on a solid, affordable set might be.

Offline lolafineday

Re: Best vfm keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 08:57:53 »
Best value is EnjoyPBT, it’s around 100$ for a set and the quality is top. There is tai-Hao which is cheap and ok, but not value. I would get 1 epbt set instead of 2 taihao sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 21:56:52 »
Tai Hao is surprisingly good, and very low prices.

Try to get a set WITHOUT the anti-biotic coating on it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Cedific

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 00:45:46 »
Best value is EnjoyPBT, it’s around 100$ for a set and the quality is top. There is tai-Hao which is cheap and ok, but not value. I would get 1 epbt set instead of 2 taihao sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnjoyPBT seems the best vfm considering its top quality, but looking for a lower price-point in general. Will keep this excellent advice in mind for the next step which is going to be building a proper custom, no expenses spared.

Tai Hao is surprisingly good, and very low prices.

Try to get a set WITHOUT the anti-biotic coating on it.

So Tai Hao seems to be a good budget option. I've read around on this anti-biotic coating and how it takes away from proper cap feel, will look out for that.

I've found some pretty cheap Vortex keycaps which are PBT+POM (eg https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vortex-ansi-pbtpom-double-shot-white-keycaps_41/), the price seems pretty low considering the materials. Is there some catch there?

Edit: Also, thoughts on YMDK keycaps on aliexpress?
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2019, 02:31:10 by Cedific »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 03:48:01 »
I got only an XDA set from them, but was not too impressed with the thickness. Still it's decent quality, the dye sub is good enough, the spacebar is straight (it's a PBT set so it's not a given..).
They make the best keyset boxes though, both cheap and excellent (those 3 layer carboard boxes with neoprene cutouts), i bought a handful of those separately..

Offline Cedific

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 11:28:14 »
I got only an XDA set from them, but was not too impressed with the thickness. Still it's decent quality, the dye sub is good enough, the spacebar is straight (it's a PBT set so it's not a given..).
They make the best keyset boxes though, both cheap and excellent (those 3 layer carboard boxes with neoprene cutouts), i bought a handful of those separately..

I see a YMDK set advertised as "1.5mm thickness". Is that thick or thin for a keycap? I've no idea lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:00:32 »
I keep reading this thread title as "best VIM keycaps" :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 02:34:56 »
I see a YMDK set advertised as "1.5mm thickness". Is that thick or thin for a keycap? I've no idea lol.
That's about as think as you can go without going high profile (like SA / KAT etc. which can go to 1.6mm or almost 1.7mm). I think they sell various manufacturers outputs...

Offline Cedific

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:50:57 »
That's about as think as you can go without going high profile (like SA / KAT etc. which can go to 1.6mm or almost 1.7mm). I think they sell various manufacturers outputs...

Cool, so as long as they're that thick they should probably be OK for a cheap set. Also, since you touched on high profile - is there such a thing as a cheap high-profile set? I certainly can't find any

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:59:42 »
You can find some decently priced SA sets on KBDFans (the 'Chalk' set is PBT by the way) and zFrontier (Maxkey SA).