Author Topic: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)  (Read 35351 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Jwaz is actually the old guy

He's actually a dog in disguise, like all of us...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fenwick

I went to St. Vincent's today and found a Unicomp Model M for $2.  It's basically the same one that's on Massdrop right now for $80  ;D.  Here's a photo of it next to my Poker 3.

There was stack of 4 of keyboards in an area that had just piles and piles of junk that you would literally have to climb over to get to them.  But!  I found a way to get my hand to them by reaching over a shelf from behind, so I grabbed each individual board blindly and pressed down on some keys to find any mechs.  I'm very glad I did that because this thing rocks.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
I went to St. Vincent's today and found a Unicomp Model M for $2.  It's basically the same one that's on Massdrop right now for $80  ;D.  Here's a photo of it next to my Poker 3.

Show Image

There was stack of 4 of keyboards in an area that had just piles and piles of junk that you would literally have to climb over to get to them.  But!  I found a way to get my hand to them by reaching over a shelf from behind, so I grabbed each individual board blindly and pressed down on some keys to find any mechs.  I'm very glad I did that because this thing rocks.

Unicomps already being thrown away? D: lol
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Show Image

Congratulations - that's a fantastic price for a buckling spring keyboard, even if it is a Unicomp ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Found these Alphasmart 3000 word processor devices. They were discarded by Erpenbeck Elementary school. Unfortunately I picked one without a name on it. So I did not get Andrew's. But I did get #49.

So how I understand it, it's a very basic computer. It's a portable word processor with rechargeable battery inside.  The device literally just has word processing capabilities and a basic calculator function. I can write and store up to ten files. When I'm ready, I can send the files into Word. Plug the Alphasmart in, hit send file, and the file writes itself into Word or whatever you like. When plugged in, it also will work as a normal keyboard. Here's a video if you're curious:

https://instagram.com/p/6snuu_MOsE/

Reminds me of that Hemmingwrite project that popped up last year. I'd love mechanical switches in this but I'm stuck with rubberdomes. It's not horrible though.

Seems like the Alphasmart has been talked about quite a few times on the forum but I didn't realize it existed until this morning when I ran across the tub of them haha.

Offline captaineleven

Re: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:51:26 »
Went to a rescue mission thrift store today and all the keyboards available were rubber domes and/or membrane keyboards but I still got a couple because of their sound and feel. Plus they were pretty decent condition as well as being terribly cheap.

This is a Compaq RT-101 keyboard that has a good tactile feel to it.

The black one is a WYSE KB-3923 keyboard that just sounds nice haha

And as a plus, I found a Brother AX-24 Electronic Keyboard still with a fair bit of ink in the ribbon. So it was a pretty decent day.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:34:54 by captaineleven »
So fancy!

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:14:03 »
Went to a rescue mission thrift store today and all the keyboards available were rubber domes and/or membrane keyboards but I still got a couple because of their sound and feel. Plus they were pretty decent condition as well as being terribly cheap.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And as a plus, I found a Brother AX-24 Electronic Keyboard still with a fair bit of ink in the ribbon. So it was a pretty decent day.
Show Image

Your pic links are dead.  If you want to post pics from flickr, you need to click "Share" then "BBCode" and paste that instead.

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:29:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Your pic links are dead.  If you want to post pics from flickr, you need to click "Share" then "BBCode" and paste that instead.

OH WHOOPS! Well goes to show how much I know about forums. Thanks! Will be fixing them right now.

All fixed. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:35:57 by captaineleven »
So fancy!

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
IBM Selectric II. I didn't buy it, though it was $7.99

116563-0
116565-1

Offline jonathanyu

Found few (nice?) keyboard last Friday.

Two of them have mx compatible doubleshot keycaps. One has mx blue with some interesting chinese sub language keycaps, I believe they are pad print tho. One has alps clone with doubleshot keycaps. One has white alps with doubleshot caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Show Image

Two of them have mx compatible doubleshot keycaps. One has mx blue with some interesting chinese sub language keycaps, I believe they are pad print tho. One has alps clone with doubleshot keycaps. One has white alps with doubleshot caps.

Looks like some interesting finds!

I wish I could find something like that one day.

Do you plan to restore them, or use them as donors?

Offline jonathanyu

Show Image

Looks like some interesting finds!

I wish I could find something like that one day.

Do you plan to restore them, or use them as donors?

i will definitely clean all of them, and will keep the white alps one :p not sure about other yet.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Show Image

Show Image

Found these Alphasmart 3000 word processor devices. They were discarded by Erpenbeck Elementary school. Unfortunately I picked one without a name on it. So I did not get Andrew's. But I did get #49.

So how I understand it, it's a very basic computer. It's a portable word processor with rechargeable battery inside.  The device literally just has word processing capabilities and a basic calculator function. I can write and store up to ten files. When I'm ready, I can send the files into Word. Plug the Alphasmart in, hit send file, and the file writes itself into Word or whatever you like. When plugged in, it also will work as a normal keyboard. Here's a video if you're curious:

https://instagram.com/p/6snuu_MOsE/

Reminds me of that Hemmingwrite project that popped up last year. I'd love mechanical switches in this but I'm stuck with rubberdomes. It's not horrible though.

Seems like the Alphasmart has been talked about quite a few times on the forum but I didn't realize it existed until this morning when I ran across the tub of them haha.

Holy ****e, I used to use those back in elementary school myself! Been a looooooooooooooooong time since I've seen one, very nice find!

Offline TacticalCoder

Nice!  Found a very similar one and just scavenged the keys and threw the rest at the dumpster.  The keys are so soft: love the feeling.  The ones I have are kinda compatible with Topre switches but not a 100% fit.  So I only replaced my HHKB's ESC key with a great looking green-on-black double-shot "CODE" key :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline 2ter

found this chicony 5160at at the thrift store this afternoon:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
found this chicony 5160at at the thrift store this afternoon:

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, nice find!

Offline Nafs_asp

I found a couple of these NOS Honeywell keycaps on eBay a couple weeks ago. Modded one for Cherry MX (:

139220-0
139222-1
139224-2

Here's an album of the mod: http://imgur.com/a/N5Aqr

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I found a couple of these NOS Honeywell keycaps on eBay a couple weeks ago. Modded one for Cherry MX (:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Here's an album of the mod: http://imgur.com/a/N5Aqr

Nicely done!  And a very nice shade of aqua on the Esc :)