Author Topic: [IC] Groupbuy-Themed Mousepads  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
[IC] Groupbuy-Themed Mousepads
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 11:12:25 »
I've got the ability to prototype dyesublimated mousepads (see below) and was wondering if there would be any interest in groupbuy-inspired mousepads? For example -- you've got a sweet Klaxon set, why not have a mousepad that matching the color scheme of the set? Here's a prototype:

25362-0

The mousepad itself is about 8"x9" (roughly) and that seems to be a very common size. My goal is to not run a groupbuy, but to make the artwork available, since there are plenty of places to have mousepads made up, probably much, much cheaper than I could. But I could prototype them and we could have some idea of how they would look completed.

I've also made some straight GH-themed mousepads:

25364-125366-2

So if people would be interested in, say a CCnG-themed mousepad, or a RainDrop, or Retro DSA themed mousepad, let me know here, and I'll try to put together some designs. Those designs would then be freely available to anyone. I'm talking with a forum member now who is a graphic designer, and hopefully we'll be able to put up some design ideas in the next few days.

But the floor is open to anyone with ideas for an interesting GH- or GB-themed mousepad. Who would be interested in something like this?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] Groupbuy-Themed Mousepads
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 11:29:16 »
This wasn't the design I started to do mine in but it didn't turn out so bad....of course its hard to tell from the awful pic!

25370-0

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:08:32 »
Definitely be interested in a Geekhack mouse pad based on one of the two bottom pics, that would be sweet.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Batmann

[IC] Groupbuy-Themed Mousepads
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:18:10 »
Klaxon made me lol!
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:20:30 by Batmann »

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:25:37 »
I want a mouse pad with iMav's avatar on it.

It doesn't even need any writing which will increase its ability to disturb.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:37:07 »
I'd love a Raindrop mousepad.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:42:57 »
I'd be in for a GH.org mousepad.  As long as it isn't ****ty.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 12:59:57 »

I think it would make a great window sticker.
I would put it on the back of my jeep!

edit:bigger pic added
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 13:30:36 by domoaligato »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:06:28 »
Definitely be interested in a Geekhack mouse pad based on one of the two bottom pics, that would be sweet.

You can download those files and use them if you want -- here's two of them so far that I've prototyped. The pics aren't great, but they came out great.

25380-025382-1
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:09:29 »
If you need another designer, let me know :)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:15:45 »

Show Image

iMav Is Looking
Into Your Soul
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:19:24 »
If you need another designer, let me know :)

I'm always open to more designs. I'm trying very hard to keep all the artwork in a vectorized format, so that it can be reused and repurposed and will never have resolution issues. I'm working using Adobe Illustrator CS2 (shut up.) -- so right now I'm most interested in creating a Retro DSA themed mousepad because I know I could match to the exact colors of the keyset, since I own a set. But feel free to design something, or even just post an idea.

For the Retro set, I'm imagining the Commodore logo, angled, in a repeating pattern.... but I'm having a hard time determining what the font would be closest to the legends. Any help on that?
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:36:58 »

Show Image

The image looks looks like it was originally vectorized (livetraced, maybe) -- find me that file if you can, or if someone else has it, please PM me. The image you gave me pixelates, but here are mockups anyway.

25386-025388-1

If there's enough interest in an iMav mousepad, then we can try to vectorize the art. Again, in these images only the GH logo would reproduce well -- the iMav pic pixelates, although maybe that adds charm for some people.  ;)
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:38:14 »
Out of the scope of this thread but we need iMav's avatar on a keyboard key!

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:39:25 »
Out of the scope of this thread but we need iMav's avatar on a keyboard key!

^ Agreed

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 14:41:20 »

You can download those files and use them if you want -- here's two of them so far that I've prototyped. The pics aren't great, but they came out great.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

That GH mouse pad looks good :)

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 16:28:13 »
<- only interested in an imav mousepad w/ no lettering/writing.  just the head! :D

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 16:32:11 »
Krogenar for what I do I need big ass mousemats, currently running something huge like 1mx1m can you do those at all?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:42:39 »
Krogenar for what I do I need big ass mousemats, currently running something huge like 1mx1m can you do those at all?

Unfortunately no. I am using blanks that start out white and my heat press is about 20 by 30 inches. But if you can find someone who CAN make a mouse pad that huge I could give you a file that would scale up perfectly. Sorry :(
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:43:56 »
<- only interested in an imav mousepad w/ no lettering/writing.  just the head! :D

With the head scaled up as large as is reasonable?
More

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:30:03 »

With the head scaled up as large as is reasonable?

Yes!  If high quality and the price is reasonable I'll take a few.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:44:21 »
Vector Magic makes some pretty quick and easy vectors (especially of simple things like iMav's avatar), let me get this one vectorized and downloaded.
Downloaded all the possible file formats and attached them, attached is a EPS (no clue what that one is, but cool), PDF, PNG, and an SVG.
Also, FWIW I was thinking of getting the keycap checker mouse pad since I can never remember the cap locations when I'm actually placing them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:48:20 by SmallFry »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:18:31 »
Can someone ask imav if he minds that we use his likeness?
Also will a portion of the proceeds from using his face end up donated back to geekhack?
:-)

BTW I would love this silkscreened on a shirt or hoodie by bunnylake maybe in one of his monthly shirts sales
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:20:35 by domoaligato »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 06:53:54 »
Also will a portion of the proceeds from using his face end up donated back to geekhack?
BTW I would love this silkscreened on a shirt or hoodie by bunnylake maybe in one of his monthly shirts sales

Again, as stated in the original post, I've got no plans on running a GB. I'm just trying to determine who would be interested in mousepads, and then seeing if I can put together the artwork with the help of designers. You would have to find someone to make the mousepad on your own, which isn't hard, and it isn't particularly expensive, either. I'll see if I can find some links. Usually the hardest part to making anything is making the art. And if you want to donate to GH you don't have to wait for a mousepad or a t-shirt, just donate.

EDIT: I will check out the iMav .eps file you posted SmallFry, and update the artwork if it checks out -- thanks!
EDIT: If anyone (especially BunnyLake) wants to use artwork that appears here, I'm fine with it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 07:31:13 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 07:32:20 »

Unfortunately no. I am using blanks that start out white and my heat press is about 20 by 30 inches. But if you can find someone who CAN make a mouse pad that huge I could give you a file that would scale up perfectly. Sorry :(

How about a yoga mat? http://yogamatic.com/home.php
If the art we produce here is vectorized properly, it would scale up no problem. The iMav one (for now) is not completely vectorized.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 07:38:26 »

Again, as stated in the original post, I've got no plans on running a GB. I'm just trying to determine who would be interested in mousepads, and then seeing if I can put together the artwork with the help of designers. You would have to find someone to make the mousepad on your own, which isn't hard, and it isn't particularly expensive, either. I'll see if I can find some links. Usually the hardest part to making anything is making the art. And if you want to donate to GH you don't have to wait for a mousepad or a t-shirt, just donate.

EDIT: I will check out the iMav .eps file you posted SmallFry, and update the artwork if it checks out -- thanks!
EDIT: If anyone (especially BunnyLake) wants to use artwork that appears here, I'm fine with it.

Speaking to getting the pads actually made, both artscow and cowcow both have promotional $0.99 mousepads with free shipping every month or two, sometimes with a facebook like you can get one free!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 09:07:26 »
Smallfry. the iMav .eps file you posted is great. I've made one with iMav (no logo) and one with the logo. I'll post it after I contact iMav for permission.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:43:47 »
Some more Klaxon layouts. Please note that the earlier posted designs were given an extra inch all around, because the blanks I'm using have rounded corners, and I'm doing everything by hand and need some bleed. These designs show the rounded corners you would see on a typical mousepad. Oh, and that site you mentioned, smallfry, is awesome. I used it to vectorize Klaxie.

25470-0
And the more traditional KC&K design:
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:47:05 by Krogenar »
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:49:18 »
Glad that the vectors worked out alright. I used Vector Magic to do them, lots of dummy emails have helped me with them as I only get 3 "tokens" per account and each vector requires one token to download.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:55:50 »
Glad that the vectors worked out alright. I used Vector Magic to do them, lots of dummy emails have helped me with them as I only get 3 "tokens" per account and each vector requires one token to download.

Here's another GH-themed mousepad, with angled, repeating logo:

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2013, 04:00:10 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:06:44 »
Update: I've been working with DamnDan on some mousepad designs, and the first we'll be unveiling for some public scrutiny will be for Retro DSA-themed, and I think it looks awesome! Just waiting on DamnDan to post it, since it's his design after all. Stay tuned.  :D
More

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 15:42:27 »
i want geekhack themed desk rugs, like the size of a ripper xxl  ;D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 17:00:18 »

I've found blank mousepad that are 10"x18", but nothing yet at that sort of size. Wow, that's colossal... 18"x36"!
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:05:09 »

I am with Glod on this.  A Ripper xxl pad with the old school GH logo would be awesome. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:19:11 »
how big is the SS qck+ ?

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:47:17 »

So do I, although the term "desk rug" makes me chuckle.
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service