Author Topic: Look at This Jerk  (Read 6505 times)

Offline ynrozturk

Re: Look at This Jerk
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:22:11 »
Yeah no thank you.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:25:57 »
I have the urge to send that seller a message explaining to him his current level of stupidity.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:26:23 »
Why is this in keyboards? It should be in off-topic. Or great finds, these days...

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:38:06 »
That HAS to be a typo.  There is no way he is serious...
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline 127001

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:40:36 »
My favorite part is all the detail he has about packaging lol.

Also : I apologize if I misjudged where this should go.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

Offline Halvar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 11:28:38 »
I'm sure it has some sort of special crystal in it and he just forgot to mention it!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 12:22:45 »
I bet he lately saw that two ssks going for big amount of money and know he thinks he found a similar board

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 12:29:00 »
That packaging is impressive. I love that concept. To provide something special as part of "free shipping" is worth something.

In the past I would occasionally message somebody and tell them what their item was really worth ($50 +/- 10) but that usually drew a torrent of flaming abuse, so I stopped.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:39:06 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:51:12 »
I'm selling the same Model M for $60 shipped CONUS!  :eek: :eek: This guy must have the Gold edition.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:15:43 »
he's not a jerk. He just has a lousy keyboard. That's a typo.

$32.50 or best offer.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:20:18 »
he's not a jerk. He just has a lousy keyboard. That's a typo.

$32.50 or best offer.

That's a bit low for a BIN, but if it is a typo that'd be a great deal.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline 1391406

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 20:25:41 »
Sent him an offer of $10.  It's more than my company is getting for them. (They're paying to recycle them by the pallet).

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 20:29:42 »
Look at this jerk:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 20:30:06 »
And how about this jerk:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 20:30:42 »
Let's not forget the OG Jerk:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:05:36 »
Sent him an offer of $10.  It's more than my company is getting for them. (They're paying to recycle them by the pallet).

You could sell a bunch of them here at a low price. Maybe.

Geekhackers are full of hot air but reluctant to actually pull out their wallets. Unless you sell skull-shaped Cherry keycaps.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:11:58 »
He's more of a clueless seller than a jerk. I doubt the guy knows just how inflated his asking price is.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:25:26 »
Lots of people think old==worth a lot. I really don't get it.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:36:15 »

That packaging actually looks pretty sweet IMO; I don't think I've ever received an item that was so well protected :-).

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 01:15:27 »

That packaging actually looks pretty sweet IMO; I don't think I've ever received an item that was so well protected :-).

So basically we are paying $300 for the shipping and packing

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline morpheus

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:10:13 »
Oh come on...it says "Don't Miss this offer!"  How can you guys pass this up?

Offline Tony

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:32:24 »
This has been discussed before in this forum.

Due to ebay policy, you have to pay when offering a new item to sell. So when a seller is out of stock, he simply increase the price to exorbitant, impossible to believe number like that. Without paying a cent.

When the item is available again in stock, he simply change the price to acceptable number.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Martyr

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 03:57:36 »
The more it costs the better!

Offline 127001

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 05:09:34 »
This has been discussed before in this forum.

Due to ebay policy, you have to pay when offering a new item to sell. So when a seller is out of stock, he simply increase the price to exorbitant, impossible to believe number like that. Without paying a cent.

When the item is available again in stock, he simply change the price to acceptable number.

That's very interesting. I had no idea that was a dynamic of Ebay.

Though I doubt that is what happened in this case as the Item was newly listed yesterday.

Also, it appears that the title of "Look at This Jerk" came off as a bit insensitive. I don't mean Jerk in the sense that the seller is an all around bad person. I have no doubt that he has a family who loves him and he's doing this as a means to support himself and likely others.

I meant "jerk" in the look-at-this-ignorant-a**hat-trying-to-sell-a-keyboard sorta way.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:21:55 »
obviously there is a special type of crystal inside. Maybe it is a dark crystal that will turn you into a gelfling and send you into another world.

This one's not a typo, though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lexmark-Model-M-52G9700-Non-Removable-Wired-PS-2-Clicky-Keyboard-21-FEB-94-/271242328856?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3f274d7b18
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Nakapfao

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 20:32:21 »

LOL, nice.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 20:54:52 »

He made a counteroffer of $300. :P

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 11:52:03 »

If they're recycling them, I'll pay for some

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:46:38 »
since it's both "vintage" and "rare" I'm sure the price is justified.

I mean, it's not like unicomp is making keyboards like that now (vintage) and it's not like IBM made these by the millions (rare).

Wait, yes it is. It's exactly like that.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 13:58:22 »
I have the urge to send that seller a message explaining to him his current level of stupidity.

I went ahead and did this for you.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:07:03 »

I went ahead and did this for you.

lol.  You should also direct him to this thread.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:21:30 »
And now we wait.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:32:35 »
Anyone who would buy a $300 would do some research... it's very unlikely anyone would be "coaxed" or "tricked" or "ignorantly" purchase that board..  it's not really a big deal that it's listed for $xxxx... 

it's like a bag of potato chips on the shelf labeled for $10000 @ shoprite,  no one would buy it...   

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 18:09:30 »
Anyone who would buy a $300 would do some research... it's very unlikely anyone would be "coaxed" or "tricked" or "ignorantly" purchase that board..  it's not really a big deal that it's listed for $xxxx... 

it's like a bag of potato chips on the shelf labeled for $10000 @ shoprite,  no one would buy it...   

But then pretty much everyone can assess the price of packets of chips, and has probably bought dozens of them in the past.

Whereas very few members of the public would have purchased a keyboard separately, and even fewer still would have done research in order to ascertain available models and price points.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:53:13 »

And doing what with them? 
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 22:10:36 »
Why is this in keyboards? It should be in off-topic. Or great finds, these days...
We like to keep off topic keyboard less thank you
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 00:08:32 »
We like to keep off topic keyboard less thank you

That's a good point.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ