Author Topic: Spacebar is making weird noises and feels scratchy  (Read 4558 times)

Offline mithian

Spacebar is making weird noises and feels scratchy
« on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 20:29:16 »
Hello,
I have a ducky one 2 mini with mx brown switches and the spacebar has never really been good. It is scratchy and it also doesn't sound like it is supposed to sound like. Here is a recording of it -
If someone can help me out that would be great. I cant resolder or solder because I don't have the equipment btw.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Spacebar is making weird noises and feels scratchy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 20:51:05 »
Hello,
I have a ducky one 2 mini with mx brown switches and the spacebar has never really been good. It is scratchy and it also doesn't sound like it is supposed to sound like. Here is a recording of it -
If someone can help me out that would be great. I cant resolder or solder because I don't have the equipment btw.

That's kind of standard for OEM or big manu boards, stabalized keys in general sound pretty bad.

Grab some dialectric grease on amazon, and lube them bad bois up.

Offline mithian

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 20:58:28 »
Hello,

That's kind of standard for OEM or big manu boards, stabalized keys in general sound pretty bad.

Thank you so much for your help. I bought some of it yesterday and it is coming tomorrow. A lot of people are telling me a lot of different places where I should lube it. Can you explain to me where I should do it?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 21:17:01 »
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help. I bought some of it yesterday and it is coming tomorrow. A lot of people are telling me a lot of different places where I should lube it. Can you explain to me where I should do it?

Depends on the type of stabs it has
If costar, then where the stems touch the wire is where I put lube, I goop it on there tbh, sounds great.
If cherry, you're better off desoldering, so you can do a true tuning on them, with clipping, bandaid, lube.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 21:22:06 »
After looking around, it seems like plate mount cherry. Hmmmmmmm.

I would personally still desolder and mod them if you can, but I think I have a guide that might help.

Might be sacrilege to post this here, but honestly it's just a good guide.

Offline mithian

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 22:10:59 »

I would personally still desolder and mod them if you can, but I think I have a guide that might help.

I don't know what I have but I looked online and I found a couple of things. Here is one guide. https://amp.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/c7vnuy/guide_lube_your_stabs_without_desoldering_details/. This seems like a good guide but you know more than me so you tell me

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 23:04:50 »

I don't know what I have but I looked online and I found a couple of things. Here is one guide. https://amp.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/c7vnuy/guide_lube_your_stabs_without_desoldering_details/. This seems like a good guide but you know more than me so you tell me

The imgur link I listed above is more informative and accurate imho

Offline mithian

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 08:05:16 »

The imgur link I listed above is more informative and accurate imho

Sorry for the late response. In the link that you sent it showed how to lube the wires but the link that I sent it showed how to lube the stems of the stabs. Which one should I do or should I do both?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 09:38:35 »

You use dielectric grease as a stabilizer lubricant? The stuff for insulating vehicle electronics? Interesting. Why that in particular over other available greases? I don't even bother to lube stabilizers, still curious.

Offline mithian

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:32:50 »
Hello,
I just finished lubing the stabs and the keys that I lubed feel a lot heavier. Is this normal? I think I might have put too much but I think it's understandable because it is a heavy grease. Also, is it going to loosen up over time?
. It sounds much better irl and it mostly fixed the problem for me.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:41:56 »

You use dielectric grease as a stabilizer lubricant? The stuff for insulating vehicle electronics? Interesting. Why that in particular over other available greases? I don't even bother to lube stabilizers, still curious.

The thickness and staying power of dialectric results in a long lasting sound dampening effect.

The feel increase is negligible imho, but the sound improvement is necessary for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:47:54 »
The thickness and staying power of dialectric results in a long lasting sound dampening effect.

I suppose it also doesn't hurt that it isn't conductive at all, by design, so slathering it all over a pcb on accident shouldn't even matter. You feel that it lasts longer than other greases available? I really like lithium grease myself, especially since I can get a tub of the stuff at the hardware store for pretty cheap.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:04:49 »

I suppose it also doesn't hurt that it isn't conductive at all, by design, so slathering it all over a pcb on accident shouldn't even matter. You feel that it lasts longer than other greases available? I really like lithium grease myself, especially since I can get a tub of the stuff at the hardware store for pretty cheap.
I've used bike lube as well, was nice but the sound wasn't as good. But as far as stuff that stuck around, and worked for more than a month or so, dialectric is the go to.

Offline mithian

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:27:25 »

I've used bike lube as well, was nice but the sound wasn't as good. But as far as stuff that stuck around, and worked for more than a month or so, dialectric is the go to.

So is it normal that my keys feel heavier?

Offline mithian

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 16:21:59 »
Also my spacebar is starting to stick

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:20:57 »
It's normal sort of, but also indicative of too much lube. Reseat the spacebar a few times and see if it helps, but while the spacebar is unmounted check the stabalizers clip to the plate. Since it's plate mount, pretty much every time you remove the cap there will be a small chance something gets pulled askew.

Press the housings surrounding each stem on either side of your stabalized caps down while keeping pressure on the bottom of the board, and listen for any small clicks.

If it's still happening after the checks, take a decently long video of the stabs both with a cap mounted and without, and we can help more.  :thumb: