Author Topic: Anybody buy keys from Maxkey yet?  (Read 44910 times)

Offline zslane

Re: Anybody buy keys from Maxkey yet?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 11:51:12 »
One interesting thing I noticed is that the numpad 2u keys (numpad 0, enter, +) are all exactly the same profile, being row 3.

Yes, that would be considered "normal" for SA keysets.

Offline blighty

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 15:21:44 »
I personally like the matte texture of the Maxkey SA caps.  The dolch set feels great :)

174766-0

LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline zslane

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 15:48:01 »
That SA Dolch looks pretty tasty. Too bad it doesn't have red Return and Escape keys.

Offline blighty

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 16:38:46 »
That SA Dolch looks pretty tasty. Too bad it doesn't have red Return and Escape keys.

Yeah, that would look nice.  I have some Round 5 red accent keys I could pop on, but not in the mood to mix Maxkeys' matte finish with SP's semi/glossy keycaps. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 23:16:19 »
They haven't even made the investment to fix the kerning issues on the kits they are already selling.

from the SA Fotune thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90403.0;topicseen it sounded if a buyer / group buy wants this fixes, he has to invest  - like ~10 bucks for 3 fixes (2x SHIFT, 1x ALT) per set per group buy. with MoQ low as 100, this only amounts to 1000 bucks for 3 "half" (or full) molds.

after somebody did this investment, will other group buys profit from this ?

3 "old" sets currently in a re-run with some fixes -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90853.0;topicseen
with £66 ~ 74 €, the fixes are for free (or in margin of fluctant exchange rate).

Nor are they really willing to accommodate novelty keys (I know they technically do but the cost is supposedly prohibitive) both of which seem like they would be much cheaper to implement.

changes are on the way ... less cherries, less flowers, less fruits ...
from looking at https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/keysets/products/maxkey-superheroi?variant=35180072907
25 bucks for 10 novelties (3x 1u, 7x 1.25u - 2.75u) is not that pricey !
compared to carbon mac kit ("less" material needed, 10 "no real" novelties keys, if you count them as real novelties, only 2 different novelties in 3 different widths <- kinda only 2 "half" new molds) drop point 1 was 24.99, final sale (and last) drop point was 17.99

EDIT:
got an email from zfrontier today ...
Maxkey SA SuperHero I:
Legends Fixed!
Breaking news from Maxkey: Legend molds have been updated, and previous issues with "SHIF T" and "BACK SPACE" will be fixed!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2017, 17:05:45 by daaawooo »
Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 00:19:59 »
Know it's an old post but thought I'd add my MAXKEY, it's a mix of Orange & Black with some Ninja modifiers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 19:46:09 »
Know it's an old post but thought I'd add my MAXKEY, it's a mix of Orange & Black with some Ninja modifiers.

Is that a photo or a render?

Looks too clean to be a photo ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 06:27:07 »
Is that a photo or a render?
Looks too clean to be a photo ...

Sorry for the late reply, it's a photo, taken with off camera flash and a real camera (DSLR with a 105mm micro lens), with canned air used to get rid of most of the dust/particles and the like. It'd just been put together, so new and unused at the time the image was shot, which also explains the almost unreal product shot crispness.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 06:37:33 by Esquimo »

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:37:48 »
Given this thread has been resurrected, I'll share my Maxkey CMYW kit and Cyan 3-key kit.

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/maxkey-cmyw-plus-27keys-1
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/maxkey-sa-3keys

Colours adjusted a little to match reality.

REVIEW: the colours are certainly not pure CMY. C and Y are close-ish, but the two attempts at M are a miss - one too pink, the other too purple. I'm using the purple ones. All colours are closer to pastel than vivid, hence the colour adjustment as the original picture makes them more vivid than in reality. Left hand lighting is desk lamp, right hand is overcast against a window.

VERDICT: overall the colours are off and much too pastel, gives it a look more like Lego's misguided attempts at "Pastel Lego for Girls" than traditional vivid Lego. But hey; at least it's some pop and the profiles fit.

5/10

EDIT: Your photo is what Ninjas should have been, not the more-grey-than-black of the actual caps. In fact the CMY of the extended kit is to CMY as the Ninjas are to black. Good enough but could have been much better.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:59:25 by emenelopee »