Author Topic: [GB] The mighty Wasdat and Wasdat Code controller (finished, extras avail)  (Read 14767 times)

Offline .

I know some of you have been waiting such a long time for this...

Wasdat Code & Wasdat group buy

What is this?
The WASD v2 and WASD CODE are very nice boards, but they lack one thing: programmability.
That's where I decided to make these boards support QMK, by replacing the controller. So here they are, replacement controllers to make your WASD v2 or CODE fully programmable.

What took you so long?
Initially, with the original Wasdat, it only supported the TKL model. After the GB period was over, I learned that it could support the fullsize model as well with just a few changes.
I had gotten a lot of requests to make one for the CODE. So I borrowed one from a fellow geekhack user (thanks mate!) but with everything going on in my life I didn't make much progress.
I did get a controller working. Just like the original could, I wanted to make it support the fullsize model. Another user helped me by measuring things on the PCB of his board, and it got me pretty far.
Many thanks to him as well. Now I'm glad to be able to say that it's *finally* ready.

Will this work with my keyboard?

The normal Wasdat only works with V2 TKL and full size boards, both ANSI and ISO layouts. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH V3 OR LATER VERSIONS

The Wasdat Code only works with CODE (V2B) TKL and full size boards, both ANSI and ISO layouts. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH V3 OR LATER VERSIONS

Programmability
You can use either QMK Configurator or VIA to change any key on your board. Both controllers are already fully supported.
Here's a demo of VIA for the Wasdat Code:

Some notes: (read before buying!)
All indicator LEDs work.
DIP switches become useless with this upgrade. On the normal Wasdat, flipping the first DIP switch twice will make it enter the bootloader. The Wasdat Code does not have that.
For both models, enter the bootloader by holding the FN key while plugging the board in. Not required when using VIA.
Both Wasdats use an ATmega32u4 microcontroller.
When upgrading to the Wasdat Code in a fullsize WASD CODE, expect the LEDs to have a slightly lower maximum brightness. This is due to the fullsize model having resistors on the PCB itself as well.
PLEASE test the controller before closing your board up again.

Where do I get one?

Both the Wasdat and Wasdat Code are priced at 25 EUR/25 USD.
By the way.. I have 17 Wasdat controllers ready to ship. First 17 controllers ordered at the EU link will be sent out super early!

EU: CLICK HERE FOR WASDAT
EU: CLICK HERE FOR WASDAT CODE

US: CLICK HERE FOR WASDAT
US: CLICK HERE FOR WASDAT CODE

This group buy ends July 31st

Frequently asked questions
No.

HUGE thank you to everyone who helped me debug and test these controllers. Couldn't have done it without you! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2020, 00:38:44 by . »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Approved :thumb:

This is awesome!  I still use my WASD V2, strongly considering breathing some new life into it.  :)

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
I don't have a WASD keyboard anymore but this is super cool!
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
The Code TKL was the first mechanical I bought when I got sucked into this hobby. It has been languishing in a storage bin for a few years now, excited for this controller...

Offline flatwhitemyth

This is awesome. I can breathe some life into my WASD code that has been long neglected!

Offline thornkin

Been waiting for this. Ordered...

Offline .

Just a few more days to get yours! Thanks for all the support so far :)

Offline .

And it ended with 19 Wasdats and 31 Wasdat Codes sold. There will be extras later on and I will get these produced asap :)

Offline elborak

Hi Maarten.  Just wondering what the time estimate is on these.  Thanks.

Offline .

Hi Maarten.  Just wondering what the time estimate is on these.  Thanks.

Early October is the goal!

Offline giammin

cant believe i waited 2 years for this controller and now the group by is closed... please please please let me buy it!!!!

Offline .

cant believe i waited 2 years for this controller and now the group by is closed... please please please let me buy it!!!!

You'll have another chance to buy one after the group buy is completed  :)

Offline giammin

awesome! thanks!

anyway im from italy so if you have left some of the 17 controllers ready to ship... ill take one  ;D

Offline .

Little update:
The Wasdat Code PCBs have been shipped from the factory.

Offline Vampiredw

Just missed this buy...
If you have one to sell because of any reason, please let me know... :)

Offline Vampiredw

You'll have another chance to buy one after the group buy is completed  :)

Just saw this, count me in!

Offline .

Update:

Controllers purchased at maartenwut.com have shipped, now working on the rest to be shipped to keyhive.

Offline giammin

when can i buy one?

Offline .

Update:

The controllers have arrived in the US and are currently being delivered to keyhive. Extras should be available soon! (will be announced when they're available)

Offline giammin

for EU people?

Offline .

for EU people?

As in my previous update, all controllers purchased at maartenwut.com have shipped. (that was the eu place)

Offline giammin

sorry, i was referring to people who did not join the group by and want to buy it

Offline .

sorry, i was referring to people who did not join the group by and want to buy it
Extras will be available at both places around the same time.

Offline giammin

sorry to bother but i really want it lol

Offline elborak

Got my shipping notice & tracking from Keyhive yesterday.  :thumb:

Offline .

sorry to bother but i really want it lol
Extras are available now at maartenwut.com. I believe keyhive already had the extras up

Offline giammin

Already bought 2  :thumb:

Offline elborak

Re: [GB] The mighty Wasdat and Wasdat Code controller (finished, extras avail)
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 14:48:12 »
Two from Keyhive arrived today.  First one installed, tested, and a bit of VIA key shuffling done.

Great stuff!