Author Topic: [IC] The 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Moved to GB thread]  (Read 44616 times)

Offline iss

More

Round 0: Closed

Features:
  • Fully programmable per-key and underglow RGB LEDs
  • Fully programmable layout- compatible with EasyAVR and QMK
  • Hot swappable switches- simply pull them out and replace
  • Acrylic sandwich case with 8o tilt

Round 0 details:
  • 12 boards available, selected via lottery
  • Will run from now through Sunday night
  • All boards will definitely be shipped by May 20th; they'll likely be shipped by May 13th

Pricing:
  • PCB + case w/ plate, assembled: $125
  • Tentative Gateron pricing: $18 for a set of 65
  • Tentative Stabilizers: $10 for a PCB-mount set
More info (and reviews) coming soon! Ask away with any questions :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:03:27 by iss »

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
[IC] Introducing the 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% with arrow keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:55:37 »
Ohhhh man this looks great! Definitely looking out for this. That price is just too good
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline Dernubenfrieken

Would love to see pictures of the bottom.
This is acrylic plate, no?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Wow. This is a really good idea, and a pretty well thought-out design in lots of ways. I like how you've managed a 60% layout with arrow keys, and yet you're only using one nonstandard key--the short right shift--which is not even all that obscure. I like the shorter bottom row, reminiscent of the HHKB.

It looks like you've got HHKB backspace support, which is a huge bonus. And support for stepped and non-stepped caps lock, also good.

The only thing I don't like about the layout is that right shift. I use it all the time and I always hit it on the left. Having an up arrow there would ruin my day. Since it seems like your SIP socket design can support alternate layout options, any chance of adding support for a full-size right shift? And secondarily, the option for the short right shift with the 1U key on the right, HHKB-style. You could still have arrow keys, something like this:

If you had that option I would not be able to pass this one up.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I love it, very tempted. I have some questions:

How secure are the switches on their sockets?
How well they keep tighten on them with no wobbling?
ISO Support? At least the ISO enter, I really do not care about the short left ISO shift, it is a pain.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2016, 21:39:50 by ideus »

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
Wow this is honestly one of the few small keyboards w/ integrated arrow keys that I actually like. Color me interested

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline WinterIsle

I would still prefer without sip sockets as soldering the switches are more secured to me.
Hope there will be an option to choose with/without sip sockets.

Offline Radlife

Will it be possible to get the pcb and the plate alone?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

It seems that the plate is an integral part of the case, which is a sandwich type whose top part is the plate itself, besides, it does not seem to fit any other standard sixty case, but the spacer and bottom designed to fit it.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] Introducing the 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% with arrow keys
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 01:02:17 »
This is actually a huge dream come true to me.

Been a big advocate of Khaannn's alternative arrowed 60% layout from the beginning (as some of you might know) and was already planning to risk sacrificing a rather high end pcb to build one.

So naturally an absolute must buy for me! :D

Is there any chance for supporting a 6.25 space and 1.25 mods bottom row?

This would be my absolute dream layout:

Also the question still remains if this would fit standard 60% cases if you get a (preferably acrylic) plate cut by yourself?
I image since switches are swappable the pcb is standoff mounted, right?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2016, 01:11:51 by FoC_Tow »

Offline biocalves

This looks great. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. Keep up the good work!

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
Interested oh god

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
INNN :thumb:

Offline gain

aw buddy arrow keys
gibsmedat

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I do not need dedicated arrow keys on my sixty, but it is good to have them for those rare cases when having them is more convenient.

Offline Hypersphere

I'd be interested, mostly for the programmability and hot-swappable aspects. I am accustomed to the HHKB layout, so I don't want/need arrow keys. I would prefer to have the customary mods on the bottom row. I also like a split right-shift with a 1x Fn key to the right of the right shift.

It would be really sweet if it could accept Alps / Matias switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I'd be interested, mostly for the programmability and hot-swappable aspects. I am accustomed to the HHKB layout, so I don't want/need arrow keys. I would prefer to have the customary mods on the bottom row. I also like a split right-shift with a 1x Fn key to the right of the right shift.

It appears that you want a totally different board.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
I really want this. It's almost a hhkb layout with arrow keys.

My first concern is that I'll hit the up arrow key too much. I think I can get used to it though.

Is this a raffle style gb?

Offline Kirfloof

I've absolutely no use at all for a 5th kb, yet why do I want one of these so much?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
I've absolutely no use at all for a 5th kb, yet why do I want one of these so much?

I know what you mean.  I want one too!

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Looks like the perfect layout for me

Offline iss

Typing these responses from board 1!

I would still prefer without sip sockets as soldering the switches are more secured to me.

I may make this an option, although PCB mount switches are very stable and don't experience any wobble unless you press really, really hard.

Wow. This is a really good idea, and a pretty well thought-out design in lots of ways. I like how you've managed a 60% layout with arrow keys, and yet you're only using one nonstandard key--the short right shift--which is not even all that obscure. I like the shorter bottom row, reminiscent of the HHKB.

It looks like you've got HHKB backspace support, which is a huge bonus. And support for stepped and non-stepped caps lock, also good.

The only thing I don't like about the layout is that right shift. I use it all the time and I always hit it on the left. Having an up arrow there would ruin my day. Since it seems like your SIP socket design can support alternate layout options, any chance of adding support for a full-size right shift? And secondarily, the option for the short right shift with the 1U key on the right, HHKB-style. You could still have arrow keys, something like this:

Show Image

I might consider adding the option. The LEDs would be slightly off-center (in the original positions)- would that be fine?

This is actually a huge dream come true to me.

Been a big advocate of Khaannn's alternative arrowed 60% layout from the beginning (as some of you might know) and was already planning to risk sacrificing a rather high end pcb to build one.

So naturally an absolute must buy for me! :D

Is there any chance for supporting a 6.25 space and 1.25 mods bottom row?

This would be my absolute dream layout:
Show Image

Also the question still remains if this would fit standard 60% cases if you get a (preferably acrylic) plate cut by yourself?
I image since switches are swappable the pcb is standoff mounted, right?

Took a look and I don't think it can happen- the bottom row is already fairly crowded with LEDs and switch holes as is, and there's a bit too much interference. I really would've loved to maximize keycap compatability, but given that a 1.75u right shift is required no matter what, I figured that symmetry was a better goal to aim for.

The PCB is indeed standoff mounted, but I'm not super confident on 60% case compatability. The PCB has a bunch of stuff on the back (sockets and RGB LEDs), so cases need at least 5/32" standoff depth- not sure which cases have that. Additionally, the current (Round 0) PCBs don't have the right standoff holes or reset button position for third party cases; if I can verify support, I'll change that for Round 1.

Not for Round 0, at least; see answer to FoC_Tow above.

I love it, very tempted. I have some questions:

How secure are the switches on their sockets?
How well they keep tighten on them with no wobbling?
ISO Support? At least the ISO enter, I really do not care about the short left ISO shift, it is a pain.

PCB mount switches are very secure when typing- no wobbling unless a ton of force is applied. Plate mount wobbles quite a bit, but are still usable- that's what I'm typing on right now, actually. ISO is not supported on the current batch (Round 0), but will be supported on Round 1.

Would love to see pictures of the bottom.
This is acrylic plate, no?

Bottom has text + logos that still need to be cleaned up a bit- will be posting more pics next week. Yes, this is 1/16" acrylic plate.

The standard split right shift might happen- see response to njbair above. Alps support probably won't happen soon; from a glance at the pinouts, it seems difficult- if not impossible- to support hot-swapping both MX and Alps switches at the same time. (Besides, hot-swapping Alps is already a thing (kinda), whereas MX hotswap was only available on the dead Smart68.)

Offline decker

This looks really cool

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

Show Image

I might consider adding the option. The LEDs would be slightly off-center (in the original positions)- would that be fine?

I would be okay with that.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline timerwin63

If I hadn't picked up a Smart 68 on Taobao a couple weeks ago, I would be in for this 100%. To anyone worried about switch stability, I haven't had any problems with my Smart (which I assume uses the same socket system). The plate keeps everything very secure, and I've never had an issue removing and replacing caps, even when I had Clears in it.

I'll see if I can get shots of the socket system on a removed switch as I have a couple of spare sockets laying around for anyone who wants to see it.
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
If I hadn't picked up a Smart 68 on Taobao a couple weeks ago, I would be in for this 100%. To anyone worried about switch stability, I haven't had any problems with my Smart (which I assume uses the same socket system). The plate keeps everything very secure, and I've never had an issue removing and replacing caps, even when I had Clears in it.

I'll see if I can get shots of the socket system on a removed switch as I have a couple of spare sockets laying around for anyone who wants to see it.

I'd love to see a video of keycaps been swapped.

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
Interested! Great looking layout.

Would like to see this as well :)
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline kawasaki161

Very interested. I hope you ship to germany and that the shipping cost doesn't kill me.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Great project! Subscribed!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
If I understood well, this layout will be available in round one, correct?

Offline megaforce

Which mcu are you using? Just super interested.

I also assume that that mounting holes are the same as the popular 60% boards? And the user can directly solder the switches rather than using the sip sockets?

Sweet project you got going here, and the price point is attractive. I'll be down to order a set!
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Prankk

This is too cool! Definitely interested.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
An acrylic plate feels best for typing, metallic ones are just too rigid, at least in my experience.

Offline timerwin63

There's a video shared by Feng on the Smart 68 IC.

Removing Switches

Swapping LEDs

If I can get my hands on a decent macro lens and some lighting, I could probably take pictures of the inside of the sockets, which would demonstrate more clearly how they work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 22:09:52 by timerwin63 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

There's a video shared by Feng on the Smart 68 IC.

Removing Switches

Swapping LEDs

If I can get my hands on a decent macro lens and some lighting, I could probably take pictures of the inside of the sockets, which would demonstrate more clearly how they work.

Seeing the video made me want to get one of these 60/2's to try.

I think this is like a life size switch tester, the best thing to try any combination of switches, stems, springs, tops and bottoms that you may think of in the MX variety, a keyboard aficionado wet-dream and just in case you need them, arrows in a sixty format, along with RBG leds for your long nights playing with it.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful

Show Image

This is a type of layout that I have thought about a lot, but it is hard to satisfy everyone.  Having the arrow keys all on the same row is an adjustment, and makes the pinky do more work than it should.  I tried it, but gave it up, and went back to the usual inverted T-cluster on a layer.  The right shift in the OP layout is way out there for the right pinky, and we are talking about a shift key that is way out there is the first place.

Making a 60% with arrow keys requires some adjustments and sacrifice.  I think the best bet is to make a very accessible layer toggle that allows for a quick switch to a navigation layer for heavy arrow usage, and then a quick switch back to the main layer.  Still, it can be annoying to switch layers for such activities.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline WinterIsle

I may make this an option, although PCB mount switches are very stable and don't experience any wobble unless you press really, really hard.

Yes, that will be great!  ;)
Yea, I know pcb mount switch are quite firm. I think I'm just a little too concern/worry about switch being pull off together with keycaps if the stem is too tight sometimes.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Yes, that will be great!  ;)
Yea, I know pcb mount switch are quite firm. I think I'm just a little too concern/worry about switch being pull off together with keycaps if the stem is too tight sometimes.

If having the option to solder the switches can be offered, that may help some people to get in, which is good, but I think that departs from the main concept of the design: hot-swappability, after all, there are many other PCBs that are for soldering, but this maybe the only soon to be offered with this feature.

Offline Hypersphere

It appears that you want a totally different board.
+1. You got me!

Offline Liam

I don't know if you answered it or not but the LEDs are soldered in the bottom right? So switches like original Cherry have black case can't show the LEDs at all. I'm looking forward for this anyway. :p

Thank you.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline timerwin63

So after 23 tries, I finally managed to get a relatively clear picture of the inside of this barrel/sleeve/socket/etc with my cell phone, because I couldn't get my hands on a real camera. Picture here because it took up too much space on the page so I didn't want to embed it.

This particular sleeve has had a switch slid into it (the big leg, not the small one) 5 or 6 times because I've been messing around with it a lot. It would seem to me it's a pretty resilient system. In case anyone was actually interested.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:49:04 by timerwin63 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
So after 23 tries, I finally managed to get a relatively clear picture of the inside of this barrel/sleeve/socket/etc with my cell phone, because I couldn't get my hands on a real camera. Picture here because it took up too much space on the page so I didn't want to embed it.

This particular sleeve has had a switch slid into it (the big leg, not the small one) 5 or 6 times because I've been messing around with it a lot. It would seem to me it's a pretty resilient system. In case anyone was actually interested.
That's pretty cool.

How are the barrels secured in the plate? Glue/solder or just friction fit?
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:48:23 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline timerwin63

That's pretty cool.

How are the barrels secured in the plate? Glue/solder or just friction fit?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

They're soldered. I can get a picture of the backside of my PCB when I get home in 10-11 hours if you'd like.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 10:14:53 by timerwin63 »

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
Interested

Offline Damonskv

Interested

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
Definitely following the development for this one.

Offline wongie

Would definitely be interested in getting one, doubly so if there's the possibility of alternative colours and solid, non-transparent, acrylic top and bottom plates (for those of us who don't care about the LEDs)

Offline SparrowHAWX

I need this! I have a full set of Zealios waiting for a keyboard to put them in :P

Offline StormyMonday

Subscribed  :eek:

Offline Liam

Will the case has other color than black? I'm looking for Turquoise or something green.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad