Author Topic: [GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: 12/14 shipped]  (Read 66968 times)

Offline iss

Not just PuLSE, but Calm Depths ;)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Not just PuLSE, but Calm Depths ;)

Oh my bad. I must be color blind lol.

Offline oumakavoula

Can someone explain how does a hot-swappable board works compared to a regular soldered board please ?

Offline iss

Instead of disassembling the board, desoldering old switches, and soldering new switches for a swap or install, you just pull the switch out and push a new one in. That's it!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Can someone explain how does a hot-swappable board works compared to a regular soldered board please ?

The short answer: Dip sockets are soldered on the PCB, instead of the actual switch pins; then, the switches can be plugged in the sockets to get them connected to the matrix of the PCB. In that way you can swap them at any time, it is just a matter of plugging them in and out, the sockets. I hope this help to have an idea.

Offline oumakavoula

The short answer: Dip sockets are soldered on the PCB, instead of the actual switch pins; then, the switches can be plugged in the sockets to get them connected to the matrix of the PCB. In that way you can swap them at any time, it is just a matter of plugging them in and out, the sockets. I hope this help to have an idea.

Thanks for the answer.
Is it because of the price that this is not a feature on every board ?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Thanks for the answer.
Is it because of the price that this is not a feature on every board ?

I do not think neither costs or pricing limit its use in all boards, instead, soldered switches provide higher reliability to the keyboard assembly, hot swapability is cool when you want to try different switches in the same board, but comes at the cost of connections that are not as safe as a soldered joint. For a keyboard aficionado it could be a welcome feature, but for real world applications, a soldered board will be the best option any time. I think the middle ground are the keyboards with plates with notches that allow switch top removal, then you can change the switch's internals with no disordering needed.

Offline oumakavoula

I do not think neither costs or pricing limit its use in all boards, instead, soldered switches provide higher reliability to the keyboard assembly, hot swapability is cool when you want to try different switches in the same board, but comes at the cost of connections that are not as safe as a soldered joint. For a keyboard aficionado it could be a welcome feature, but for real world applications, a soldered board will be the best option any time. I think the middle ground are the keyboards with plates with notches that allow switch top removal, then you can change the switch's internals with no disordering needed.

Thank you very much for the explanation ! I wish my ducky allowed top removal ^_^

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Thank you very much for the explanation ! I wish my ducky allowed top removal ^_^

It is only an opinion, of course, but soldered joints being more reliable than switches plugged into dip sockets are closer to a fact.

Offline iss

Looks like people are starting to receive boards! Here's a quick firmware guide- my changes to EasyAVR still haven't been integrated into the main branch, so this will have to do for now:

1) If necessary, download and install Python 2.7.
2) Download and unzip the source code.
3) Open EasyAVR using run.bat.
4) Select "62/60 (Round 0)" when creating a new layout.
5) RGB configuration and instructions are available at View -> RGB Configuration.
6) When ready, press the reset button on the bottom of the keyboard, then navigate to File -> Build and Reprogram and follow the prompts.

Offline buzzking00

I signed up for Geekhack just to get updates on the next round!
Awesome board mate!

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
I'm one of the lucky ones that got in on round 0! Does anyone have any points of interests that they want me to cover on the board?
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline kawasaki161

Does anyone have any points of interests that they want me to cover on the board?

1. size and Weight comparison so other Boards
2. your own opinion on the board
3. lighting

Offline Lost2Frostbite

I'm one of the lucky ones that got in on round 0! Does anyone have any points of interests that they want me to cover on the board?

A build log would be much appreciated :)

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES

A build log would be much appreciated :)

It was actually shipped to me fully built! The only thing I had to do was put on keycaps.

Offline iss

Round 0 is just about finished shipping- one board has a PCB issue and one board is waiting on switches. Expect Round 1 news in the next few days!

Offline kawasaki161

Round 0 is just about finished shipping- one board has a PCB issue and one board is waiting on switches. Expect Round 1 news in the next few days!

I actually don't even know if I still want this, please suprise me with  the R1 News enough to make me interested again!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

I actually don't even know if I still want this, please suprise me with  the R1 News enough to make me interested again!

You have expressed my sentiments as well.

Offline buzzking00

Are there any changes to round 1 or is it same as round 0 as far as PCB etc

Offline breckstar

I still want two (home and work)  ;)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Crossing my fingers to get in this upcoming round! :)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Still hoping for standalone pcb and plate over here. :)

Offline gadzkun

Still hoping for standalone pcb and plate over here. :)

im still waiting too +w/o hot swappable

Offline JDragon

Eagerly looking forward to round 1. I've got a bunch of Zealios looking for a new home. :D

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Eagerly looking forward to round 1. I've got a bunch of Zealios looking for a new home. :D

You and I both! Real eager to feel these 67g's in action!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
Got my round 0 62/60 and have been messing with it for a couple days. The rgb leds are really fun to work with and the configuration is super simple and easy to work with :thumb:

The switch swapping is really nice. Zealios are indeed a bit loose but the gaterons and cherries I've used have been perfect. Tight enough to require a tool to pry them off. As someone who is really indecisive hot-swappable switches are a great feature!

I did run into a problem on my board though.

I couldn't get the "g" "h" "j" "k" "l" ";" "'" "enter" keys to work. Tried different switches made sure the firmware had keys assigned to them and everything but just couldn't get them to work. The leds functioned 100% though.
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Lost2Frostbite

Did you manage to fix it?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

I did run into a problem on my board though.

I couldn't get the "g" "h" "j" "k" "l" ";" "'" "enter" keys to work. Tried different switches made sure the firmware had keys assigned to them and everything but just couldn't get them to work. The leds functioned 100% though.

It is a shame that you have a nice adorn with cool LEDs that cannot be used for typing. I really hope the OP fix these kind of issues in the upcoming rounds.

Offline jenggo

[GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: 12/14 shipped]
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 19:29:11 »

This same problem occured with my satan GH60. I did check the atmega controller, one of the controller feet did not soldered to the board. And after i soldered that feet, the board works well, now my satan into hhkb :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 19:43:08 by jenggo »
Filcos | JD40 | Planck | FJELL | Jetfire | Weaven | GON 60 | BWU | DasKeyboard | PokerII | Strafe | Octagon v2 | TX 1800 | TXCP | Realforce 104UB | KMAC 1 | TXPad | DC60 | Ergos

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
It is a shame that you have a nice adorn with cool LEDs that cannot be used for typing. I really hope the OP fix these kind of issues in the upcoming rounds.

Ya, was a bit disappointing but I expected some kinks in round 0 so not too gutted. Haven't given up hope on the board yet either, gonna open it up when I have time later this week and try to get to the bottom of the problem. I should totally hang it on my wall for some keyboard art in the meantime though as the leds are quite lovely looking :p

Did you manage to fix it?

Not yet :( but haven't had much time to try anything other than the switches and firmware.

This same problem occured with my satan GH60. I did check the atmega controller, one of the controller feet did not soldered to the board. And after i soldered that feet, the board works well, now my satan into hhkb :D
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't opened up the case and looked at the pcb yet as I haven't had much time, but I'll defienitly have to check out all the connections to the main controller. Thanks for the tip :D

*you're satan looks beautiful btw!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
Finally got time to sit down and play with the keyboard. Lighting on the board is great. Its customizable and I can individually program each LED. Lighting on the Zealios seemed less even compared to the Gaterons through the switch housings. Although with the clear housing on the Zealios, it's to be expected.
143008-0143010-1143014-2

Didn't come across very many problems with they keyboard itself, except a few things. The biggest problem with the keyboard for me was one of the modifier switches weren't seated properly. So unless I press reaally hard on it, it wont activate even if the switch activates. The switch itself seems to be sitting 1-2mm off the top plate, so I'd say its because the switch itself isn't making full contact with the DIP socket.
143012-3

Gaterons were in fact more snug in the sockets compared to Zealios. When I pop off a keycap, each Zealios switch would come off the board along with the keycap. With the Gaterons, I'd say 70% of the time they stayed on the board. Another thing I'd be worried about is the bare mini USB socket, as the case leaves it open and exposed. I'd like for it to have it covered or the case to be redesigned so that it offers more support for the socket.
143020-4143016-5

The size of the keyboard is the same size as the 60% standard size. It's the same length as my Ducky mini. Weight's of the Mini were 730g with keycaps on, and 520g on the 60/62. The board feels really light and with the little nubs acting as feet, it feels a little too light for my taste.
143018-6

In the end, I got what I wanted from the board. It wouldn't be my daily driver, but the lighting on it and the hotswap capabilities makes it really run to play with. Definitely worth the price I paid for it.

Offline Jmeferlater

Any news/updates for Round 1? This seems like the ideal keyboard for me

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Re: [GB] 62/60: The first full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: 12/14 shipped]
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 17:39:29 »
OP will surely deliver :thumb:

Offline Liam

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:35:31 »
Any update for the project?
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline THEXY

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 04:29:55 »
So I am one of the 2 boards that is still waiting... OP has gone dark on me over on Reddit and has not responded to any of my PMs over the last month. Last thing I heard was that my board was done and was waiting on switches and if I wanted he was going to send the board out and refund me the switches. I told him do what was easier on him.. So i'm just wondering if anyone on here knows OP because i just wanna know whats going on. Any help is appreciated :)

Offline enthal007br

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 09:31:53 »
So I am one of the 2 boards that is still waiting... OP has gone dark on me over on Reddit and has not responded to any of my PMs over the last month. Last thing I heard was that my board was done and was waiting on switches and if I wanted he was going to send the board out and refund me the switches. I told him do what was easier on him.. So i'm just wondering if anyone on here knows OP because i just wanna know whats going on. Any help is appreciated :)

Hey, I'm the other guy who was originally waiting for the other board and spoke to you on Reddit. I unfortunately had to go through PayPal and request a refund after OP doing the same thing to me. He completely cut off communication about anything related to this project, yet still keeps an active Reddit account. Luckily he accepted the refund request, but that's literally the most contact I've had with him in months (and he didn't even need to speak to me directly).

It's whatever, really. I was excited for this board as I'm really new to this hobby, but this guy just left a terrible image on the scene for me and it's tough for me to get back into it.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 23:18:02 »
still no update for next round? need this layout in my laifu :p

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 23:23:47 »
OP seems to have gone dark but this board has it all! I really hope he comes back or someone picks up this project.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 13:06:59 »
OP seems to have gone dark but this board has it all! I really hope he comes back or someone picks up this project.

Zeal just released his tmk PCB with in-switch RGB LEDs, but it is in a standard 60% layout, not hot-swappable and without official underglow support. I wanted this project to succeed as the price is really good, especially since the case was included.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 20:15:06 »

Zeal just released his tmk PCB with in-switch RGB LEDs, but it is in a standard 60% layout, not hot-swappable and without official underglow support. I wanted this project to succeed as the price is really good, especially since the case was included.

zeal PCB is common 60% but this one is entirely different layout.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 21:15:54 »

zeal PCB is common 60% but this one is entirely different layout.

Zeal products are extremely overpriced, to say the least; they come with huge hype building, but truth be told, a one hundred dollars PCB is very hard to get, while there are competitors that offer pretty much the same for less money.

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 03:26:28 »
I wonder why the OP went dark on this. The layout is so damn nice imo, I wish I could get my hands on one. Someone needs to find the original PCB supplier  :confused:

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 21:49:31 »
I wonder why the OP went dark on this. The layout is so damn nice imo, I wish I could get my hands on one. Someone needs to find the original PCB supplier  :confused:
Would the round 0 PCB have any markings indicating who the producer might be?

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 15:47:39 »

some guy scalping his set for $300 on mechmarket, dunno if anyone would wanna pay more than 2x the original price but its there if u want it
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 15:49:02 »
This project seems death.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 15:57:58 »
This project seems death.

He'll come back eventually I guess, let's wait and see if he has an actual reason or just an excuse.

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 17:51:17 »

some guy scalping his set for $300 on mechmarket, dunno if anyone would wanna pay more than 2x the original price but its there if u want it

Yeah I saw that. Kinda ridiculous, don't want ti that bad lol

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 04:02:12 »

That's a shame. Sucks that there will always be people who ruin it for others.

OP seems to have gone dark, as there aren't any replies to me either.

Offline Lobosmoose

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:51:53 »

The keyboard isn't selling for double the asking price, the keyboard alone is 144.50 that how much i payed for it. Plus it comes with 62x 78g zealios and those are about a dollar a piece or $0.75 if you get in the zealpc group buy then you would need to calculate shipping so thats another $15. So the mark up price is only about ~$80 over still a little steep but reasonable to me.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:47:50 »
TBH $300 for a 60% board without aluminum casing is too steep for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk