Author Topic: [IC] OKey V1 - 65% Top Mount Keyboard with SP Macro Row  (Read 34089 times)

Offline Okey

[IC] OKey V1 - 65% Top Mount Keyboard with SP Macro Row
« on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 21:44:27 »
Okey v1 Keyboard

Hello Keeb community!

I am newish to the community and newer to keyboard design. But am having allot of fun dipping my hand into something different and challenging. I have been working on what i call the Okey v1. A 65% board with a small Macro on the left. Addtionally i wanted to be more customizable with the layout so I added removable and replaceable blockers.

IC Forum: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fN4iG_H_JOQmOwb26AIL9l9OGj1sFXSGeGN0tevfax8/edit

Here are the features I have added so far:
1.Mounting - Top mount design (Simple and Easy)
2.Blockers - There is a top right 1u blocker and a middle right 2u. Both can be replaced by "Blank" blockers that allow for the full row
3.Case Material - Aluminum
4.Plate Material - Plate is planned to be aluminum, but looking into brass as well
5.Plate Design - Plate will have options for stepped caps, split left shift, split space, ISO enter and split backspace

6.PCB - Will be black with no under-glow(No case options to see it anyway)
7.Colors - Black, white and Silver are planned. As IC continues it can change
8.Price - TBD
9.GB - This i will need some assistance with. I am not an experienced vendor (and will not pretend to be). So if anyone knows a guy or would like to help im am open to it!
10.Timeframe - This is still early, working with cnc machinest to find what processes are possible and what are not.

Updates:
1. Navy and Green! From the IC so far Navy is a popular color as well as a forest-ish green (Dark Green). I will work on making them available as well.

To-Do
1. Work on PCB Design [] (I am currently working on this. Because of my profession i have 2 weeks coming with no internet access.)
2. CNC partners [] (I have contact with one vendor for cnc work. Changes will need to be made to ease manufacturing and lower cost.) 
3. Prototype[]
4. GB []

Support:
If you want to be a part of the creation process please reach out to me. I want to see a design of mine come to life. If other people can get some joy out of it, then thats even better!

Renders:
I have commissioned some, but the quality will not be fantastic (Cant afford the best). But again if someone is interested please let me know! As for now here are the designs i have currently.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:46:50 by Okey »

Offline jhi

Re: [IC] OKey V1 - 65% Top Mount Keyboard with SP Macro Row
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 00:40:06 »
gorgeous!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 04:45:33 »
Interesting idea to have removable blockers/badges. I hope someone reaches out to you for assistance with GB. GL with IC!

Offline VXQN

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 05:03:52 »
ISO? Split space? Macro column? I'm interested!

Offline Okey

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:58:30 »
I have added some better pictures of the board. They show the blocker designs that would come with the board.

I am working with a cnc manufacturer to see what is/isnt possible, and when we speak next i will ask about Navy and green color options. The palm tree will probably change to be engraved to save cost and still have that tactile feel. This is the same for OKI in kanji. The inlays would add huge cost to the product. There is the possibility of having gold enamel, but this would not be done by the current manufacturer and it wouldnt stick up, rather be flat with the blocker. 

I am taking 3 online classes (2 of which end soon thank goodness) + working. I also will lose internet access for 2 weeks (In about a weeks time) while working. I have a pcb design i originally made, but it needs edited to support the layout options. Seeing as the board is meant to be customizable on a whim having the layout options is important to me and i want to do it correctly.

HOTSWAP: I will have to look into the possibility of adding the hotswap sockets. This would add cost to the board, more than what people could afford. Maybe something i could assemble upon request for a small fee but will have to think about it more.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Interest isnt huge but as things get ironed out hopefully it will grow. I am having a hard time finding information about working with different vendors and might reachout myself once the design is closure to its final form. I want this to become a reality and will cnc myself if i have to, although i couldn't make many (Shapeokos are expensive and aren't meant for large products. But would be cool to own).

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:14:22 »
Really like the modular approach and the design. I would like to make some suggestions regarding the PCB:

- QMK support
- Soldered PCB (non-hotswap)
- USB-C connector
- ESD protection

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 16:16:31 »
Looks nice. Any chance you are considering EU proxies.

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 16:17:02 »
This looks great. Looks like the Kyuu, Space65, and Think6.5 had a baby and gave it steroids.

Offline dstaar

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:08:48 »
Will both 1u and 2u removable blockers always be included in the base kit?
if so, then it's such a nice design to cover both badge lovers and non-blocker users :thumb:   
Yes, please!

And, I also like the column on the left, and more colors please.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:11:45 by dstaar »

Offline Okey

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:33:54 »
Will both 1u and 2u removable blockers always be included in the base kit?
if so, then it's such a nice design to cover both badge lovers and non-blocker users :thumb:   
Yes, please!

And, I also like the column on the left, and more colors please.

Yes! A lot of the cases I've looked at offer some form of blocker or none. I have a tendency to switch things around and having a board that will offer any setup I want would be nice.

My first mechanical board was a corsair with macro to the left. For some reason i really liked the option of having it there.

Im looking into colors as the interest grows.

Thanks for the support.

Offline Okey

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:35:57 »
Looks nice. Any chance you are considering EU proxies.

Would love to work with anyone worldwide. If it helps lower the cost for everyone then i'll happily do it.

Offline Okey

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:44:37 »
Really like the modular approach and the design. I would like to make some suggestions regarding the PCB:

- QMK support
- Soldered PCB (non-hotswap)
- USB-C connector
- ESD protection

Thanks for the support!

-QMK is the goal. Currently swamped with some finals, but will soo be working on pcb designs with qmk in mind.
-I have 2 thoughts on hotswap: The premise of the board is modularity and hotswap provides that. The downside is mainly cost, but i understand peoples dislike. It might be something thats an option. Again will require more research as i work.
-USB-C is mainstream now and will be the only connection i will use.
-ESD - agreed. Reliability is one of my priority. i want the board to last and esd is part of that.

Help is always appreciated. If you have any other advice or tip,pointers,guidance ill gladly listen. I am no expert in pcb design and want to create a solid keyboard. 

Offline kyoo

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 20:18:19 »
Very interested!
Love the idea for modular blockers

Offline Okey

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 22:33:42 »
Update for everyone:

1. I am back on my little Island, finishing up my 2 weeks of quarantine and waiting on my Covid test results. Once back i am free once again.

2. I may or maynot be moving from my little island in search for a new job. If anyone interested i do computer networking and am looking on settling down with my new little family.

3. I am still needing to make the PCB for this board. I have been writing papers for 3 of my classes, finished my last one today.

4. This board will be slow to make, I want to go in a different direction and make this board myself. I am working on building a CNC machine. Parts are being printed, ordered, shipped, assembles. All that good jazz. With that itll take me some time to come into something i want to sell. Interest was low, probably a combination of poor support of my side, bad renders (again me) and my lack of experience. All this contributes to me wanting to do this as more of a passion project. I will continue to post about the board, but will move it over to the building section and not the IC. Once there i will post a URL for anyone interested in the progress.

Thank you all for the support, i have realized that I was underprepared for all it takes do make something like this, but am still having fun working on it. As long as that will lives i will work on bringing the board to life. Your ideas and interest help in that. Till my next post.

Offline Phantom_Nyan

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:42:04 »
I am so looking forward to this keeb, will be quite frankly an endgame for me lol
The only thing if I may request would be a hotswap capability and maybe a more intricate design on a bottom weight

Offline parkingmeasurement

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 15:28:11 »
What is the angle and the front/rear height dimensions? I wish more keyboards were between 0-5 degrees (ergonomically speaking flat is best).

Offline Rhodactis

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 17:07:19 »
Ooooo I like this!
"A Typewriter is a means of transcribing thought, not expressing it."

"As expediter, the typewriter brought writing and speech and publication into close association."

-Marshall McLuhan

Offline gilbert

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 17:19:09 »
reserved
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline LordHaveMercy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 03:46:37 »
A bit of an unusual request, but would you ever make blockers to somehow make this have an HHKB-type layout that also happens to have arrow and macro keys?

Offline croatoanlp

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 04:55:06 »
Very sleek, pls add renders with cherry profile caps

Offline nihonjam

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 03:09:43 »
nice to see more designs coming out of Japan. Like the layout and love the kanji. What is the target typing angle?

Offline yukiburzm

• zeonic keys
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 20:35:14 »
A bit of an unusual request, but would you ever make blockers to somehow make this have an HHKB-type layout that also happens to have arrow and macro keys?

That would be awesome! I was thinking of Gb'ing the K45 on kbfans since it sort of has that layout (blocked hhkb w/ arrow keys, and a macro row on the left side) But I'd much rather have this style in a 50%+ keyboard like this one.

Offline fredprinz21

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:18:16 »
Hope to get updates on this IC.  :D

Update for everyone:

1. I am back on my little Island, finishing up my 2 weeks of quarantine and waiting on my Covid test results. Once back i am free once again.

2. I may or maynot be moving from my little island in search for a new job. If anyone interested i do computer networking and am looking on settling down with my new little family.

3. I am still needing to make the PCB for this board. I have been writing papers for 3 of my classes, finished my last one today.

4. This board will be slow to make, I want to go in a different direction and make this board myself. I am working on building a CNC machine. Parts are being printed, ordered, shipped, assembles. All that good jazz. With that itll take me some time to come into something i want to sell. Interest was low, probably a combination of poor support of my side, bad renders (again me) and my lack of experience. All this contributes to me wanting to do this as more of a passion project. I will continue to post about the board, but will move it over to the building section and not the IC. Once there i will post a URL for anyone interested in the progress.

Thank you all for the support, i have realized that I was underprepared for all it takes do make something like this, but am still having fun working on it. As long as that will lives i will work on bringing the board to life. Your ideas and interest help in that. Till my next post.
For the night is dark and full of terrors.

Offline Kyorakou

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 04:33:02 »
Looking forward to this going live.
I hope it happens soon.

Offline dMaIvKiEd

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 16:04:49 »
No update since last August. Hope you're okay and sending you good vibes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline AshF

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 06:09:25 »
Nice looking board, interested to see how it all fits together / weight / features etc.

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 17:46:56 »
love the shape of the board and the dragonfly blocker!

Offline chindino

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 10:08:59 »
Looks really nice. Hope this goes into GB

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 04:09:56 »
Super interesting design, really hope this makes it into GB and I hope that all is well with the designer