Author Topic: K70 Low Profile Metalic Sound  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Lemon56

K70 Low Profile Metalic Sound
« on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 15:15:50 »
Hi, I have keyboard K70 RGB Low Profile MX Speed and some times I hear metal sound in keyboard. As I write the text faster, I have the feeling that the aluminum keyboard base plate resonate This is normal ? Should I return it?

Anyway, can I silence this sound? people wrote to put foam in the keyboard but I do not want to lose the warranty :( I searched the solution and it turned out to be ping.

*sorry for the language but i'm writing google translator*

Offline Maledicted

Re: K70 Low Profile Metalic Sound
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 16:11:44 »
I don't have a low profile, but my K65s and K70s do ping when typing on them vigorously. I actually like this when swapping to loud/high-pitched clicky switches like box navies. That's one of the more common characteristics of steel or aluminum plates. Is there a warranty sticker somewhere that you would break if you opened the board? If not, Corsair will never know the difference.  ;)

If there is, you could try the old hair dryer and pocket knife trick to try to gingerly remove the warranty sticker and slap it on some wax paper if you ever need to return the keyboard to factory configuration.

I think they also suggest placing the keyboard on a keyboard mat, on a dense desk as well. I think people love or hate them, but you could play with o-rings as well. I didn't like them, but they were random old Rosewill ones.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 17:52:06 »
I think people love or hate them, but you could play with o-rings as well.
O-rings for Cherry MX will not fit the Cherry MX Low Profile, unfortunately. The slider has a plastic cylinder that goes around the outside of the keycap's stem where that O-ring would have fit.
An alternative though is to make "landing pads": squares of foam with a hole punched through the middle for the slider.

While O-rings and landing pads may reduce noise, I don't think they have that much effect on ping, really. Ping really comes from the springs, with vibration distributed from one switch to the springs of other switches. I don't think the plate material matters that much either: I have keyboards with PCB-mounted switches that ping.

The most efficient way to reduce ping is to lubricate the springs, but you can't open Cherry MX Low Profile switches that are soldered to a board, not even if there hadn't been a plate.

Offline Lemon56

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 04:54:12 »
I pay so much money for a keyboard and I get **** like that. Maybe I can somehow mute this ping because I do not want to give up the keyboard because it is perfect except for ping. Thanks for the help :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 09:48:31 »
I think people love or hate them, but you could play with o-rings as well.
O-rings for Cherry MX will not fit the Cherry MX Low Profile, unfortunately. The slider has a plastic cylinder that goes around the outside of the keycap's stem where that O-ring would have fit.
An alternative though is to make "landing pads": squares of foam with a hole punched through the middle for the slider.

While O-rings and landing pads may reduce noise, I don't think they have that much effect on ping, really. Ping really comes from the springs, with vibration distributed from one switch to the springs of other switches. I don't think the plate material matters that much either: I have keyboards with PCB-mounted switches that ping.

The most efficient way to reduce ping is to lubricate the springs, but you can't open Cherry MX Low Profile switches that are soldered to a board, not even if there hadn't been a plate.

I hadn't even looked at the switches on that model, makes sense though of course. I figured they just made the case less thick. Now you make me want to compare the K65 and Das Pro 4 I put box navies into. I have really only noticed the ping on the K65, though they both have relatively thick aluminum plates. Everything I have put jades into has a steel plate, probably of roughly the same thickness, and I have only particularly noticed ping on the TG3 boards vs the Unitek I put them in.

I have plenty of K65s and K70s to play with as well, but few other keyboards of other models with the same switches.

I pay so much money for a keyboard and I get **** like that. Maybe I can somehow mute this ping because I do not want to give up the keyboard because it is perfect except for ping. Thanks for the help :)

Good luck. I think a lot of people, especially who still just have gaming keyboards, don't really care about ping. I know I don't, other than actually liking it with some clicky switches. I imagine it isn't a design consideration for most manufacturers.