Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nines (GB IS LIVE!)  (Read 94898 times)

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
Re: [IC] GMK Nines (BIG RENDER UPDATE!)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 11:54:22 »
+1 for the colors reversed U9-N9. Like the new name, set looks very clean GL!  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 12:58:56 »
Is that with or without VAT?

Just thinking for other regions it'll be cheaper.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 13:06:26 »
Is that with or without VAT?

Just thinking for other regions it'll be cheaper.

With VAT, all fees calculated (retail price).

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 13:10:31 »
This set will look amazing with Dolchini... Can you go ahead and GB now?

Offline megaforce

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 13:48:45 »
how much is that in freedom dollars
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 13:55:52 »
how much is that in freedom dollars

I am very close to also securing a murrican' proxy! KBDfans pricing will be similar to that of mykeyboard, we will see about US if I can make it a bit lower as there are less import fees.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 14:00:14 »
Dixie?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 19:54:14 »
Dixie?

The only two in Murica are dixie and novel.

Offline yaya

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 20:54:50 »
i'm in for a set

Offline p1xelHer0

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 04:09:45 »
looking forward to throwing my money at this set

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 04:32:25 »
Dixie?

I love NK and they have been really good to me, they were my first choice - but they are busy for a few months now so there was no room to run it with them.

There are more than those two. :)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 08:19:38 »
Dixie?

I love NK and they have been really good to me, they were my first choice - but they are busy for a few months now so there was no room to run it with them.

There are more than those two. :)

Proxies in Murica? I've only seen those two aside from Kono.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 08:51:21 »
Good price.
One big step towards GB.
Can't wait to have this keyset.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:05:42 »

(Big thanks to Oblotzky for being so kind!)

On popular request, here are the reverse accents. Honestly, it doesn't look too bad, and I'm not even much of an accent guy. :D

Do we want this, on the expense of a higher price for the basekit? Give me your thoughts!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:13:12 »
Show Image

On popular request, here are the reverse accents. Honestly, it doesn't look too bad, and I'm not even much of an accent guy. :D

Do we want this, on the expense of a higher price for the basekit? Give me your thoughts!

YES YES YES YES AND MORE YES.

To my mind, this is the icing on the cake of this set! Looks perfect!

Thanks so much for showing this.

Offline p1xelHer0

Re: [IC] GMK Nines (Accent kit?)
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:20:22 »
accents looks amaaazing! yes please.

Offline pcire

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:22:17 »
Show Image

Yes, of course!
How much higher would the price be? Not that it matters, I’m just curious.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:31:26 »
Totally in with the accents now. Thanks for taking our feedback into account.

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:47:43 »
Show Image

+1 for the reverse accents. A complete reverse set would be great, too :thumb:

Offline monkt

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:57:36 »
Show Image

That looks really nice. In favor of the accents, depending on the price jump.

But comparing this render (which I love), to the original base set render, I’m a little concerned there might not be enough contrast between the U9 legends and the background N9. This newest render looks great in terms of legibility. But the base set render, as well as the photo with the gmk sample caps makes me worry that U9 won’t stand out as well as it does in this render. To my eyes, the legends here look closer to L9 (based on the GMK stock colors photo). I haven’t seen either of these colors in person, so I’m relying on those more experienced here to weigh in.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 12:24:13 »
The accents look fantastic!  :thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 12:50:10 »
Totally in with the accents now. Thanks for taking our feedback into account.

Feedback is the most important thing to me. I lowered profit margin to one fifth of what was suggested, I really do my best to cater to the community and not personal greed.

That looks really nice. In favor of the accents, depending on the price jump.

But comparing this render (which I love), to the original base set render, I’m a little concerned there might not be enough contrast between the U9 legends and the background N9. This newest render looks great in terms of legibility. But the base set render, as well as the photo with the gmk sample caps makes me worry that U9 won’t stand out as well as it does in this render. To my eyes, the legends here look closer to L9 (based on the GMK stock colors photo). I haven’t seen either of these colors in person, so I’m relying on those more experienced here to weigh in.

Honestly U9 and L9 are very different, beige vs off-white. That said, please consider that these colors will look different depending on lighting. Oblotzky who made the renders has access to both colors and is a veteran. N9 can look almost black in some conditions, and bright like the GMK sample shot in the OP others. These are stock GMK colors, so I hope most people know what they are getting here. There are many sets with both U9 (9009 for example), as well as many sets with N9 (Skidata, Terminal, Q:01, etc). Please view photos of these as reference points.

With that said, I have asked GMK for an updated quote with accents, and asked oblotzky to render it for me. :) Thank you for the feedback! Please note that this will raise the price, however.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 14:13:08 »
Already have 14 sets of beige with dark legends. Nope on the accents, honestly.

I would think that either round of GMK Classic Retro, Either round of GMK 9009, EnjoyPBT 9009 or any beige EnjoyPBT set would have some nice accents to use already. Don't drive the cost up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 February 2019, 14:17:41 by wholypantalones »

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 14:14:06 »
Pass on the accents for me also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 15:39:01 »
Damn, this sure is annoying. I want to please everyone, so divided camps really make it difficult here.

We are talking 3-5USD on the quote here, then again same could be said to add the ISO UK keys for example. I think it offers flavor to the set personally, and I already voiced earlier in the thread that I do agree that any other beige mods could pass as accents... I think it might entice more people to buy it, while 3ish USD won't turn off the ones already interested - fair trade-off, no?

In any case, not everyone will be happy regardless. Let's run with the accents for now - we still have time until GB to remove em if so, or even add more - so please keep discussion open. I am open to all feedback.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:14:49 »
The two accents look great imo and no other accents will match "perfectly". Most (not all) accents share, at least, one color with the set. I can't think of any accents that would have either of these colors for the legend. I say get rid of ISO... Look at the numbers for accents vs ISO in Jamon.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:47:41 »
The two accents look great imo and no other accents will match "perfectly". Most (not all) accents share, at least, one color with the set. I can't think of any accents that would have either of these colors for the legend. I say get rid of ISO... Look at the numbers for accents vs ISO in Jamon.

Every beige GMK set uses U9 for the mods and L9 for the alphas. The legends are CR, aside from that other beige mods are a perfect match.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:55:33 »
"The legends are N9, aside from that other beige mods are a perfect match."
Aside from that is not perfect.  Will two perfectly matched accent keys really kill this set for you? Or... Are you so set in your opinion that nothing anyone says will matter?

Every beige GMK set uses U9 for the mods and L9 for the alphas. The legends are CR, aside from that other beige mods are a perfect match.

Offline monkt

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 17:09:11 »
Honestly U9 and L9 are very different, beige vs off-white. That said, please consider that these colors will look different depending on lighting. Oblotzky who made the renders has access to both colors and is a veteran. N9 can look almost black in some conditions, and bright like the GMK sample shot in the OP others. These are stock GMK colors, so I hope most people know what they are getting here. There are many sets with both U9 (9009 for example), as well as many sets with N9 (Skidata, Terminal, Q:01, etc). Please view photos of these as reference points.

Thanks. I had a look at the sets you mentioned. I like U9 as a color, and in Oblotsky’s render it looks great, but I can’t find any other sets that uses U9 for the legends on a dark background. Q:01 which you referenced, uses L9 according to the Uniqey product page. Is there any set that uses U9 legends on a dark background? I love everything about this set otherwise, so I’m just hoping for some reassurance regarding the contrast/legibility.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 17:16:49 »
Thanks. I had a look at the sets you mentioned. I like U9 as a color, and in Oblotsky’s render it looks great, but I can’t find any other sets that uses U9 for the legends on a dark background. Q:01 which you referenced, uses L9 according to the Uniqey product page. Is there any set that uses U9 legends on a dark background? I love everything about this set otherwise, so I’m just hoping for some reassurance regarding the contrast/legibility.

There isn't one that I am aware of, aren't you excited about this set being the first(?) :D

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 19:35:31 »
By The Nine this is a beautiful looking set.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
Re: [IC] GMK N9-U9 (Added GMK Renders, waiting for quotes)
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 19:50:06 »
What do you think? Should I make a base kit with the cheapest ISO-support (ISO-US), or offer ISO-UK in the basekit, or remove ISO altogether?

Might be a bit late here, BUT... please don't remove ISO. I think retaining the four keys of USO-US support should be sufficient to satisfy the budgetary needs of the kit and keeping the maximum appeal for as many layouts as possible. Otherwise, we could start talking about making an even smaller core kit and then several extra "mod kits" - one for TKL, one for 75%, one for 65% (A), one for 65% (B), etcetera.

YMMV.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:01:28 »
Well, if people just want ISO and are used to legends being wrong, then ISO-US is the cheapest option (2 keys only). ISO UK is 6 keys.

6 keys?
Legends are all wrong anyway.

Just add 4 keys:
  • 1.25 shift and 1u R4 key (<>)
  • 1u R3 key (# key)
  • Iso Enter

I agree with this, except the R3 key should be \ |. No point in having a single key coming in from the UK layout.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:09:53 »
Should include a 10U spacebar in every ISO kit that just says The Wall on it.

Should be a DCS profile (or something as tall) space bar, instead of the proper Cherry profile — so The Wall will live up to its name. :thumb:

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:21:33 »

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I'd rather not have the accent keys.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:41:54 »
"The legends are N9, aside from that other beige mods are a perfect match."
Aside from that is not perfect.  Will two perfectly matched accent keys really kill this set for you? Or... Are you so set in your opinion that nothing anyone says will matter?

Beige accent keys seem a bit superfluous even for a few extra bucks. Honestly I could give a **** less, I'm expressing my opinion the same as every one else here.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 21:53:19 »
Definitely a big fan of the accents for the extra few bucks. The renders look great. And the pricing in encouraging!

Excited to see this hit GB stage.

Offline dragonfell

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 22:22:50 »
I feel really silly for thinking, from glancing at the title and renders, that this was referencing Nier Automata...

i still want it

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 22:28:47 »
I like the accent keys.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 23:45:52 »
Nice accent keys.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 04:27:40 »
For the US proxy, hopefully just not Kono Store. After my last two experiences with them, I'd avoid participating in buys under them.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 05:59:47 »
My feeling is that the escape is the only accent key needed. Having others detracts from the nature of the set a little imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline leexy

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 08:51:09 »
not so keen on the accents, sorry

Offline yaya

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 10:30:50 »
Not a fan of the accents, prefer the monotone look.

Offline ian13

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 10:38:24 »
I like the accents.

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 11:37:19 »
Accents and I'm in. No accents and I'll have to pass. Thanks for gauging interest!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 13:02:19 »
I didn't have a clear opinion about this set. It seemed nice and familiar. But then I rediscovered a forgotten pok3r keyboard which used exactly this colorscheme. And then suddenly I'm not sure if I like it or not  :))
Well, as an afterthought this gmk set should be way darker, since the renderings in the first post are completely wrong.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

A pok3r keyset could be in any colorway and it'd still look bad to me. ;)

Yeah I think the typeface is the real issue there.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 21:04:11 »
Ooof. I love that accent kit.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 22:04:50 »
Classy and subtly differently colorway - nice!
Accent keys are worth it, even though most will use one or the other.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 02:56:54 »
Damn, this sure is annoying. I want to please everyone, so divided camps really make it difficult here.

People who don't like accents can just not use them.

Make it how you like it.