Author Topic: [GB] - NerD 60 [White PCB] by GON - R2  (Read 36857 times)

Offline eosph

Re: [GB] - NerD 60 [White PCB] by GON - R2
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:24:07 »
I can't wait to get my hands on this, does anyone have a list of what stabilisers I'd need for a standard ISO PCB mounted layout?
You need
1 small stab for ISO Return
1 small stab for Backspace
1 small stab for Right Shift (if you use the standard 2.75u SHIFT )
1 space bar stab (7u or 6.25u depending on what you want on the bottom row)

And I still don't have the money for this, need to sell more stuff :(

For space bar I'm just going to use a standard one found on Ducky Shine 3 and Poker 2, is that 7u?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:28:10 »
I can't wait to get my hands on this, does anyone have a list of what stabilisers I'd need for a standard ISO PCB mounted layout?
You need

For space bar I'm just going to use a standard one found on Ducky Shine 3 and Poker 2, is that 7u?

Ducky and Poker 2 uses 6.25u spacebars.

Offline eosph

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:37:31 »
You need

Ducky and Poker 2 uses 6.25u spacebars.

Great thanks!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:02:34 »
Man, is anyone getting two of these decked out with diodes, resistors, and side LEDs?

I kinda want two boards, but WOW the price :D

Also, what are the chances of GON releasing a newer version of this board in the near future, such as an updated version with wireless? Maybe I should just get one for now...

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline eosph

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:54:22 »
Man, is anyone getting two of these decked out with diodes, resistors, and side LEDs?

Also, what are the chances of GON releasing a newer version of this board in the near future, such as an updated version with wireless? Maybe I should just get one for now...

I went for the full works, I've spent enough on imperfect keyboards and this offers me the most flexibility right now. Long story short, just do it :P

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 19:55:37 »

I went for the full works, I've spent enough on imperfect keyboards and this offers me the most flexibility right now. Long story short, just do it :P

I know, but two boards? :D I can do one, but I think two = gg

Offline eosph

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:06:37 »

Only 2??? This will be my 4th mech keyboard not counting the many other horrible rubber dome keyboards I've had over the years ;)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:07:51 »

Only 2??? This will be my 4th mech keyboard not counting the many other horrible rubber dome keyboards I've had over the years ;)

I meant.. I already have 4 keyboards, and I was thinking of getting two of these PCBs for TWO MORE boards -_-

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:30:10 »
Like a few others I'm waiting for a payday.   This one ended up going on bifocals.   Next one is still open though :)...   If not a white it will have to be a green... but hopefully the whites will still be there. :D
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:01:17 »
I will be ordering this, but is it smarter to order more items from gon at once, so I don't have to pay for that shipping twice?

If so, I have a few questions...

1. Do I need to buy a plate for the board? Where they specified parts I need to build a board, they didn't say I need one either. If this helps, I'm thinking of getting the acrylic case.
     i.e. do i need this : http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html
           if i'm building with this? http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/103-acrylic-housing-for-nerd-60.html#/countersink-no_fastening_with_button_head_bolts
           Also, it doesn't say whether the bottom row allows for 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 7 - 1.5 - 1 - 1.5, or I have to go winkeyless without the 1x winkey?
2. What's the difference between buying "tuned" switches from GON and buying regular ones off of other vendors?
3. How many stabilizers do I need? Regular 2x backspace, 2.75 right shift, 1.5,1,1.5,7,1.5,1,1.5 bottom row.
           My guess is I need 5 for backspace, enter, 2x shift, and spacebar. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
4. How many diodes for DIP do I need? Do they corresponding 1 to 1 to the backlight LEDs?

5. Thanks for taking the time and reading through my questions. This will be my first build ever, and I'm very excited for it.
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:22:28 »
1. If you take the acrylic case you don't need the plate because is part of the acrylic case, it's one of the layers. It supports 1.5 winkey, so exactly what you want
2. GON tunned switches are stock switches that GON will modify to fit you best, change springs, lubing, stickers, this way the feeling and typing experience is improved. Now which type of tunning to choose is more complicated :) it is a personal choice.
3. For stabs you need 4 small ones for Backspace, RShift, LShift and return and 1 7u for the spacebar. The stabs must be Cherry PCB mount, these are the only supported by GON's cases and plates.
4. DIP diodes are for the switches and you need around 70pcs. For the LED's you need SMD resistors also around 70pcs.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:44:26 »
Hello again,

Still haven't ordered but I really want to soon, just trying to figure out what colour LEDs to get.

I have three questions:
1) Do you guys know what colour of LED is this one? It looks orange to me, but .. also very red

2) Does anyone have pictures of the GON Side-LED in Orange?
I'm guessing that it doesn't match the LEDs in 1) because that one is very red.

Decisions :D

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:56:09 »
Will the Universal Plate work with PCB mounted switches (I noticed it only works with Cherry PCB mount stabilizers).

I'm not sure which switches I should be purchasing for this board, especially since GON's website only offers the PCB mount Clears.
null

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 12:32:11 »
The universal plate works with Cherry PCB mount stabs.
Switches are something personal, I like MX Reds or Blacks with 50g springs.
Some love the MX Clear with 62g springs. Switches are a long story.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 05:51:09 by DanielT »

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 13:06:53 »
One more thing! :(

for the acrylic housing listed here:
       http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/103-acrylic-housing-for-nerd-60.html#/countersink-no_fastening_with_button_head_bolts

1. What is a countersink? Are there pictures to illustrate them?
2. when you select the color of the top, frame, mid, and bottom of the case, am I selecting the color of the LEDs, or the color of the acrylic casing? I'd like the acrylic to be clear, with colored side LEDs. If they are for the side LEDs, After I put everything together, am I allowed to change the LED color using the NerD GUI, or am I stuck with those colors for this case?

Sorry, thought I was done with questions, but more keep creeping up!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 13:29:16 »
1. Countersink means the screw that is used to fix the acrylic layers is flush with the surface. Countersinking is the procedure where you drill a surface in such way the screw after is tightened is flush with the surface.
2. You chose the colors for the case layers, it doesn't have anything to do with the LED's.
You ca not change the LED color from the GUI, I don't think this board supports RGB LED's. You chose a color for the LED's and stick with it.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:09:35 »
Just ordered a white one. Gonna use it with a white see through acrylic case and a silver plate :) gonna be niiice!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:14:42 »
Just ordered a white one. Gonna use it with a white see through acrylic case and a silver plate :) gonna be niiice!

niceeeee. I'm using the sprit's 60% pcb and I've picked white. I'm using a acrylic plate though and every time I look down it's really pretty. I think a silver plate might be nice as well  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:14:55 »

I thought you don't need a plate because it's included within the acrylic case?

What color LEDs are you picking? :]

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:15:46 »

That's if you buy the case from GON. Some people might just get the pcb and do smth else with it  ;D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:25:47 »

The case
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

Im going with white smd leds and white in switch leds, also ordered white pbt/pom caps from the vortex buy :D Going to call it the white light >_<(The imagination on that one is over 9000)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:38:18 »

The case

Im going with white smd leds and white in switch leds, also ordered white pbt/pom caps from the vortex buy :D Going to call it the white light >_<(The imagination on that one is over 9000)

nice choice of the case. I would have gotten that if I have no use of my alu case. The colour would be awesome with the leds switched on !  :thumb:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 14:49:23 »

The case

nice choice of the case. I would have gotten that if I have no use of my alu case. The colour would be awesome with the leds switched on !  :thumb:

tanx. ! hope its dope :) Gonna spend whole winter soldering though as i also have a bunch of other stuff getting in soon :P

Question Similar to this:
Will the Universal Plate work with PCB mounted switches (I noticed it only works with Cherry PCB mount stabilizers).

I'm not sure which switches I should be purchasing for this board, especially since GON's website only offers the PCB mount Clears.

i know the PCB mounted switches will work.(and i would prefer it) but isnt it a necessity on the places where the switch is not supported by the sides? Like caps, left/right shift, enter, backspace?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 03:45:23 »
Hey guys, I just noticed that GON updated the GB to offer the WIRELESS option.

I have no idea if this option is any good, would appreciate if anyone knows better:

1) Does this wireless signal work in full metal cases like the Hammer or FMJ cases?
2) How good is this wireless option? If it's something new, I might want to pass on it, but if it's really solid and has been trial/errored enough, and doesn't interfere with fitting in a normal non-GON case, I would consider.
3) Does it actually fit properly in a non-GON 60% case? Would suck if it had clearance issues :P

Hope someone knows better than me!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 07:03:42 »

The case

I'm planning to use that case for mine aswell! except I'm not going to have LEDs this time because I'm too lazy to solder them  :p Also I plan on taking it around with me everywhere and I hate attracting looks from strangers  :))

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 07:56:47 »

I have no idea if this option is any good, would appreciate if anyone knows better:

1) Does this wireless signal work in full metal cases like the Hammer or FMJ cases?
2) How good is this wireless option? If it's something new, I might want to pass on it, but if it's really solid and has been trial/errored enough, and doesn't interfere with fitting in a normal non-GON case, I would consider.
3) Does it actually fit properly in a non-GON 60% case? Would suck if it had clearance issues :P

Yes, I just saw that as well. But I think I'll be going for the usb option. Not too sure about the wireless signal, maybe you could pm GON himself.
I myself have not put in an order yet. :( Really need to do it soon.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 10:13:30 »

I've asked GON about the fit in non-GON cases and he told me that there are no fit problems (at least with the Vortex Cast Aluminum Case - which is a super picky case). I'd assume any other 60% case made for a Poker should be perfect.

I would also like to know if a metal case would interfere with the wireless. Wouldn't want to pay the extra 50 bucks to find out that the functionality doesn't work! If it will work with full metal cases, I think I may just opt for the wireless.
null

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 10:41:34 »

I've asked GON about the fit in non-GON cases and he told me that there are no fit problems (at least with the Vortex Cast Aluminum Case - which is a super picky case). I'd assume any other 60% case made for a Poker should be perfect.

I would also like to know if a metal case would interfere with the wireless. Wouldn't want to pay the extra 50 bucks to find out that the functionality doesn't work! If it will work with full metal cases, I think I may just opt for the wireless.

I don't think so but for his mobik gb the case wasn't metal, so that' might be the case. (interference)
yep, i'm gonna use the vortex alu case to pair along with this. should be fine if i'm using usb. :)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:26:17 »

i'm gonna use the vortex alu case to pair along with this. should be fine if i'm using usb. :)

It looks like we'll end up with very, very similar keyboards then!
null

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:36:01 »
More

i'm gonna use the vortex alu case to pair along with this. should be fine if i'm using usb. :)

It looks like we'll end up with very, very similar keyboards then!

yeah, I've had this alu case as I was one of the 1st batches. its a really nice case. black as well. haha. gonna look pretty sick on it.

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 15:09:17 »

Actually came here to ask the same thing! Is it even the same GB?

I'm pretty sure Gon himself says metal cases will interfere though. However I'm not quite sure about what other magic he's workes into v2. :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 15:16:27 »

I'm pretty sure Gon himself says metal cases will interfere though. However I'm not quite sure about what other magic he's workes into v2. :)

Well in the IC I mentioned he might do a v2 revision for this board so yeah. :D
The metal might interfere, not sure. I'll ask GON when I'm free later :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 19:28:47 »

I've asked GON too, and he mentioned that the LIPO battery for the wireless might not fit, and something about the side switches not fitting. Does anyone have pictures of the actual wireless board? That would explain a lot.

Well in the IC I mentioned he might do a v2 revision for this board so yeah. :D
The metal might interfere, not sure. I'll ask GON when I'm free later :)

Please find out for me :P

I also need to know if it turns out the battery won't fit the case, would it possible to just not attach the battery, and use the board as if it is a USB-only one? Thanks :)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 20:02:39 »

I'm pretty sure Gon himself says metal cases will interfere though.

Makes perfect sense... Faraday cage effect and all that jazz... Kinda like how aluminum cases on phones block signal.

This makes me want to consider the NerD case... but so expensive!!!
null

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 09:58:22 »
@karura, the whole wireless module takes up room alongside the battrey. with no battery you wouldn't need the wireless either. [unless you were planning on powering it via usb and still connecting via bluetooth  :confused:]

The 40% had a wireless or not option, I imagine it would be the same here. [ie; yes you can make just a wired one]

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 18:38:48 »
One last question before I go deliberate a purchase of this PCB.

Will this PCB (with Side-LEDs soldered on) fit the TEX acrylic case?
null

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 18:59:15 »
The "side" LEDs are on the bottom of the board. Those support bars on TEX cases might get in the way of some of the LEDs.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:43:26 »
The "side" LEDs are on the bottom of the board. Those support bars on TEX cases might get in the way of some of the LEDs.
That's what I was trying to figure out =/

I wonder if anyone has tried to fit this PCB with side LEDs in one of those cases
null

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:48:18 »
That's what I was trying to figure out =/

I wonder if anyone has tried to fit this PCB with side LEDs in one of those cases

Sorry, I can't help with this. Maybe anyone who has build their r1 pcb's could give a feedback. Not sure. Really sorry  :(

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 00:00:55 »
The smd leds are so small I think the worst that would happen is running a hobby micro file on the support bars about 2mm into the acrylic. That was my plan if I could afford a second Nerd60 and use it on the TEX acrylic case.

I just want to say if you are new to smd soldering, this may not be the best board to learn it on, do some practice on something else first. Smd resistors are tiny also if you do the side leds, the smd leds need to mounted sideways And if you touch the epoxy lens with the iron it obviously will destroy them.

On the other hand if you don't care about leds then it's easy to put together you can use through hole diodes and it's hard to mess that up.

If you can take advantage of GON or some other pro do the smd soldering I highly suggest doing it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 November 2014, 00:03:09 by Glod »

Offline eosph

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 09:16:59 »

I'm planning on putting mine in a tex case, like someone said above it should be ok to do some small mods to the case to get it to fit properly.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:16:57 »
Wireless capability compatibility list from the product page:

GON Acrylic NerD 60(USB/Wireless Combo NOT Supported)
    GON NS NerD 60(USB/Wireless Combo NOT Supported)
    GON NS NerD Crystal 60(USB/Wireless Combo Supported)

WAIT HOLD ON...

There's a NerD Crystal 60?!

If there is one in the works, I'm waiting for the DIY kit. This would be too good to pass up!
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:22:43 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 03:35:58 »
Alright, I finally placed an order... my wallet... :(
$174.02 USD after PCB, assembly, 1 set of stabilizers, and shipping.

I hope this is worth it!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 06:12:39 »

I hope this is worth it!
1 pcb and 2 plates 172$ costs to stay on top >_<

Offline phearboner

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:41:11 »
Does anyone know when it will be expected to be shipped out

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 04:48:48 »

I hope this is worth it!

Oh it's worth every penny  :thumb: I just finished my black NerD60. The build quality is first class, and the configuration GUI is perfect. Has also locking Fn , it's just perfect.
I'm typing in it right now. After I raise more funds I will get a second one this time I will take also a plate.
And I just have to post this again because this is the perfect board for me:

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 11:20:56 »
Oh it's worth every penny  :thumb: I just finished my black NerD60. The build quality is first class, and the configuration GUI is perfect. Has also locking Fn , it's just perfect.
I'm typing in it right now. After I raise more funds I will get a second one this time I will take also a plate.
And I just have to post this again because this is the perfect board for me:
Show Image

Oh, and here I thought I was doing a good job of being patient. Really keen to start my build now!  :thumb:

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 12:27:17 »
Not from this GB but certainly a NerD 60 PCB:

:cool:
null

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:16:00 »
Not from this GB but certainly a NerD 60 PCB:

Show Image

:cool:

What kind of LEDs are these?!

Edit- Looks like 1.8mm LEDs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:26:43 by Dreamre »

Offline eosph

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 03:28:01 »
Got shipping confirmation this morning. Can't wait for it to arrive now.

I went with 1 PCB with all the soldiering options fwiw.