Author Topic: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)  (Read 1067334 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:09:16 »
Here's mine (for now):

I'm using some dirty old AEKII keycaps because I was too impatient to clean them before putting the board together. You'll also notice the missing Y key, replaced by the del key from the unused nav cluster.

It's a shame that Alpine Winter isn't ready yet. Even once those caps get here it will take some work to make the stabilizers compatible. So at least I can use my Monarch until then!

The build process went pretty smoothly. Although I will say that the Cerakote left the switch and stab holes a bit on the tight side--I actually had to file down the stabilizer clips to fit. But that's something I've had to do with other custom Alps builds, so no big deal.

The other build-related goofup was my own fault...I dropped the tiny little MOSFET for LED control. So for now I have it jumpered so that the LEDs are always on...I'll order a new MOSFET and get that working eventually.

Can I just say that this is without a doubt the most solid keyboard I own. Something I always try with a new keyboard is to grab it by the ends and give it a twist. There is absolutely no flex in the Monarch's frame. Between that, the thick PBT Apple caps, and the click-modded cream damped Alps, this board has a really cool, throaty sound.

All in all, I'm very happy with this new board so far. Thanks to Koalapear and Skullydazed for all your work designing this, and to everyone else for helping to make it happen.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:14:51 »
I just spent the evening cleaning up my dirty cream dampened switches. I tried the click mod on one to see how it sounded and I really like it, so I'm thinking about doing the same to all of them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 21:11:34 »
Keep the picture coming, I love all of them, even though, I am not into ALPS anymore, why? well, the incompatible stabilizers and the lack of cool keycaps, that now is changing, but very slowly. Congrats!

Offline theginginator

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 21:25:43 »
Got it all built and 100% working with some clicky switches. Sounds amazing and feels amazing. Board is overall very solid. My family of lefties were all quite intrigued  :))
Just need to order the parts for under lighting sometime this week to have an orange glow to match the case.  :thumb:

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #454 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 00:06:48 »
It's alive! The clicky Matias switches are very clicky and it sounds absolutely amazing :)) Is there a comprehensive guide to programming the board? (as in for beginners :P )

Also if someone could make it compatible with EasyAVR, I will love you for eternity :-*

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #455 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 01:55:17 »
It's alive! The clicky Matias switches are very clicky and it sounds absolutely amazing :)) Is there a comprehensive guide to programming the board? (as in for beginners :P )

Also if someone could make it compatible with EasyAVR, I will love you for eternity :-*

Looks great with your setup.

Btw can anyone recommend specific brands of lube for these switches? Some things are unavailable here or prohibitively expensive to import.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2016, 02:00:19 by stoic-lemon »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #456 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 16:40:56 »
Does anyone have a more or less stock firmware I can flash back to with the stock keymaps (if possible with caps/num led support)? I've been testing the EasyAVR generated one by suicidal orange and there's still a few kinks in it (but hoping they'll be easy fixes)

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #457 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 17:04:21 »
Got it all built and 100% working with some clicky switches. Sounds amazing and feels amazing. Board is overall very solid. My family of lefties were all quite intrigued  :))
Just need to order the parts for under lighting sometime this week to have an orange glow to match the case.  :thumb:

Looks great. Love the pop of that orange plate!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #458 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 17:18:12 »
Does anyone have a more or less stock firmware I can flash back to with the stock keymaps (if possible with caps/num led support)? I've been testing the EasyAVR generated one by suicidal orange and there's still a few kinks in it (but hoping they'll be easy fixes)
See the link to the skullydazed repo in the OP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:49:18 by njbair »

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Jersern

« Reply #459 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 01:28:58 »
Just a heads up for those who are less adept at programming, like myself, that EasyAVR now supports the Monarch (credits to suicidal orange and metalliqaz)! Woo!

You'll just need to use the master release from Github (requires Python) as the Windows exe hasn't been updated with the files for the Monarch. The one thing that doesn't seem to work right now is latching caps lock but I'm sure it will be fixed at some point in the future.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 02:22:56 »
So hands up who is still waiting for their Monarch? I assume the tracking no longer updates once it has left the US. Mine says it is in transit to destination and has been since April 3rd.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #461 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 04:04:57 »
Maybe its struck in customs? Not surprised tracking isn't working though.

Offline gain

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:58:38 »
round 2 when?
;_;

these look fantastic btw

Offline Jersern

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 06:02:44 »
Probably no round two :'(

Offline Delirious

« Reply #464 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 16:23:19 »
When with Blues after all. My AEK's  spacebar wire was bent and rattled like crazy so I switched to Matias's wire and stabs. And let me tell you, Matias's stabilizers suck, the wire's diameter is bigger than the stabs' holes, I spent 2 days sanding and widening the stabs' holes. Big thanks to koalapear for organizing the buy and skullydazed for programming the board.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 16:33:28 »
So hands up who is still waiting for their Monarch? I assume the tracking no longer updates once it has left the US. Mine says it is in transit to destination and has been since April 3rd.

That's a bit worrying  :'(

I hope they get it to you soon! The two that went to Australia took a little over a week to arrive and the tracking updated until delivery.

When with Blues after all. My AEK's  spacebar wire was bent and rattled like crazy so I switched to Matias's wire and stabs. And let me tell you, Matias's stabilizers suck, the wire's diameter is bigger than the stabs' holes, I spent 2 days sanding and widening the stabs' holes. Big thanks to koalapear for organizing the buy and skullydazed for programming the board.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks amazing! Love the little apple logo  ;D
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #466 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 16:45:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #467 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:08:24 »

Show Image

Could the yellow space bar be retro brighten? It does a disservice to the otherwise super nice keyboard.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #468 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:16:53 »
It's alive! The clicky Matias switches are very clicky and it sounds absolutely amazing :)) Is there a comprehensive guide to programming the board? (as in for beginners)

Show Image

Could the yellow space bar be retro brighten? It does a disservice to the otherwise super nice keyboard.

Yeah, it def needs some Retr0bright. It makes the new board look crusty.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:23:32 »
I really do not use the number pad much, but it is a cleaver idea to have it to the left, so in case you need it, is there without interrupting the work flow with your mouse, as regular full size keyboard do. Cleaver idea, I'd love to see an MX version of this.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 19:09:11 »
It's alive! The clicky Matias switches are very clicky and it sounds absolutely amazing :)) Is there a comprehensive guide to programming the board? (as in for beginners)

Show Image

Yeah, it def needs some Retr0bright. It makes the new board look crusty.

Just cheat and use an AW spacebar hehehe

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 19:14:12 »
So I can't seem to get programmable underlighting working properly. Here's what I've done:

- I jumpered UNDERLIGHT to C6
- soldered in a 10K resistor and MOSFET on the underside of the board.
- BACKLIGHT_ENABLE = yes in the Makefile.
- I've assigned Fn keys for ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() in my keymap file.

When wired this way, nothing works, either with my own keymap or skullydazed's TMK repo.

BUT...

If I jumper UNDERLIGHT to C5 B6, both ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() do their thing, but backwards. So it's like something is pulling up when it should be pulling down, or vise-versa.

Any suggestions???

EDIT: It looks like C6 is still being controlled by the state of CAPS LOCK, and if I comment out BACKLIGHT_ENABLE = yes it's controlled by NUM LOCK. In both cases B6 does the backwards underlight control thing. Am I missing a config setting to switch C6 to MOSFET control?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2016, 08:35:21 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:07:40 »
So I can't seem to get programmable underlighting working properly. Here's what I've done:

- I've assigned Fn keys for ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() in my keymap file.

When wired this way, nothing works, either with my own keymap or skullydazed's TMK repo.

BUT...

If I jumper UNDERLIGHT to C5, both ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() do their thing, but backwards. So it's like something is pulling up when it should be pulling down, or vise-versa.

Any suggestions???

EDIT: It looks like C6 is still being controlled by the state of CAPS LOCK, and if I comment out BACKLIGHT_ENABLE = yes it's controlled by NUM LOCK. In both cases B6 does the backwards underlight control thing. Am I missing a config setting to switch C6 to MOSFET control?

Well, er. This is kinda embarrassing. :'( It seems that I may have gotten the labels backwards on the PCB. I just traced the wire, and the pin directly across from RLCAPSLOCK is B6. The pin directly across from RLCLEAR is C6. I know, I can't believe it either.

Try out this patch (or update your copy from github) and see if that doesn't fix it for you.

Code: [Select]
diff --git a/keyboard/monarch/led.c b/keyboard/monarch/led.c
index a2f4d4c..1eda2eb 100644
--- a/keyboard/monarch/led.c
+++ b/keyboard/monarch/led.c
@@ -28,23 +28,23 @@ void led_set(uint8_t usb_led)
 {
     if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_CAPS_LOCK)) {
         // output high
-        DDRB  |= (1<<6);
-        PORTB |= (1<<6);
+        DDRC  |= (1<<6);
+        PORTC |= (1<<6);
     } else {
         // output low
-        DDRB  &= ~(1<<6);
-        PORTB &= ~(1<<6);
+        DDRC  &= ~(1<<6);
+        PORTC &= ~(1<<6);
     }

#ifndef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
         if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_NUM_LOCK)) {
             // output high
-            DDRC |= (1<<6);
-            PORTC |= (1<<6);
+            DDRB |= (1<<6);
+            PORTB |= (1<<6);
         } else {
             // output low
-            DDRC &= ~(1<<6);
-            PORTC &= ~(1<<6);
+            DDRB &= ~(1<<6);
+            PORTB &= ~(1<<6);
         }
     #endif
 }
@@ -52,7 +52,7 @@ void led_set(uint8_t usb_led)
 #ifdef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
     void init_backlight_pin(void)
     {
-        DDRC |= (1<<6);
+        DDRB |= (1<<6);
         TC4H = 0x03;
         OCR3C = 0xFF;
         TCCR3A = 0b10000010;

Sorry for the oversight!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:27:34 »

BUT...

If I jumper UNDERLIGHT to C5, both ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() do their thing, but backwards. So it's like something is pulling up when it should be pulling down, or vise-versa.

Any suggestions???

Well, er. This is kinda embarrassing. :'( It seems that I may have gotten the labels backwards on the PCB. I just traced the wire, and the pin directly across from RLCAPSLOCK is B6. The pin directly across from RLCLEAR is C6. I know, I can't believe it either.

Try out this patch (or update your copy from github) and see if that doesn't fix it for you.

{
         // output high
     } else {
         // output low
     }

#ifndef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
             // output high
         } else {
             // output low
         }
     #endif
 }
 #ifdef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
     {
-        DDRC |= (1<<6);
+        DDRB |= (1<<6);
         TC4H = 0x03;
         OCR3C = 0xFF;
         TCCR3A = 0b10000010;

Sorry for the oversight!
Sweet, I discovered a bug. Do I win some kind of white hat hacker bounty?

I'll try the code the next time I'm at my desk and let you know what happens.

My boards:
More

Offline Delirious

« Reply #474 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:34:23 »

BUT...

Any suggestions???

{
         // output high
     } else {
         // output low
     }

#ifndef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
             // output high
         } else {
             // output low
         }
     #endif
 }
 #ifdef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
     {
-        DDRC |= (1<<6);
+        DDRB |= (1<<6);
         TC4H = 0x03;
         OCR3C = 0xFF;
         TCCR3A = 0b10000010;

Sorry for the oversight!

Does this affect option 1(Always on underlight + controllable lock status)? Do I just need to cross-jumping the pins in the back?

Offline Jersern

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 21:26:40 »

Show Image

It could be retrobrighted but I really ceebs haha. Yeah if someone could sell me an alpine winter spacebar that would be great :P

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #476 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 03:12:49 »
Well wouldn't you know it, my Monarch arrived today. I guess it was held up in customs as I had to pay a little extra to get it in my hands. My wife was a bit puzzled as to what it was when she had to fill in the paperwork. It looks great, but I can't take any pics until I have some where to safely lay it out. I can't believe it's actually here. Thanks skullydazed and koalapear!
Edit: I'm going to be a hypocrite and add a hastily shot picture.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2016, 03:15:55 by stoic-lemon »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #477 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 11:17:35 »

BUT...

If I jumper UNDERLIGHT to C5 B6, both ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() and ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE() do their thing, but backwards. So it's like something is pulling up when it should be pulling down, or vise-versa.

Any suggestions???

{
         // output high
     } else {
         // output low
     }

#ifndef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
             // output high
         } else {
             // output low
         }
     #endif
 }
 #ifdef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
     {
-        DDRC |= (1<<6);
+        DDRB |= (1<<6);
         TC4H = 0x03;
         OCR3C = 0xFF;
         TCCR3A = 0b10000010;

Sorry for the oversight!

It's still not working correctly after this patch, but the behavior has changed. This is how it works now, with BACKLIGHT_ENABLE = yes:

- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to C6 does nothing.
- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to B6 indicates CAPS LOCK, but the brightness can still be controlled via Fn keys. But the control is still backwards (i.e., BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() makes it darker and vise-versa), and if CAPS LOCK is off the underlighting is off regardless of the Fn key brightness settings.

...and with BACKLIGHT_ENABLE commented out:

- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to C6 sets the underlighting to always on, full brightness, no control.
- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to B6 still indicates CAPS LOCK, but without any brightness control (not even backwards)

I also noticed another issue in the code, that init_backlight_pin() was implicitly called in matrix.c. I had to add #include "backlight.h" in matrix.c to get rid of that compiler warning.

We're definitely closer to the solution.

My boards:
More

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #478 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:53:25 »

BUT...

Any suggestions???

{
         // output high
     } else {
         // output low
     }

#ifndef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
             // output high
         } else {
             // output low
         }
     #endif
 }
 #ifdef BACKLIGHT_ENABLE
     {
-        DDRC |= (1<<6);
+        DDRB |= (1<<6);
         TC4H = 0x03;
         OCR3C = 0xFF;
         TCCR3A = 0b10000010;

Sorry for the oversight!

It's still not working correctly after this patch, but the behavior has changed. This is how it works now, with BACKLIGHT_ENABLE = yes:

- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to C6 does nothing.
- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to B6 indicates CAPS LOCK, but the brightness can still be controlled via Fn keys. But the control is still backwards (i.e., BACKLIGHT_INCREASE() makes it darker and vise-versa), and if CAPS LOCK is off the underlighting is off regardless of the Fn key brightness settings.

...and with BACKLIGHT_ENABLE commented out:

- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to C6 sets the underlighting to always on, full brightness, no control.
- Jumpering UNDERLIGHT to B6 still indicates CAPS LOCK, but without any brightness control (not even backwards)

I also noticed another issue in the code, that init_backlight_pin() was implicitly called in matrix.c. I had to add #include "backlight.h" in matrix.c to get rid of that compiler warning.

We're definitely closer to the solution.

Sorry for the hassle here. I've been doing some drive-by troubleshooting and obviously this needs more than that. I'll try to sit down with the code and my board tonight or tomorrow night and work through this.

Offline notmybongos

« Reply #479 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:04:48 »
Is it possible to use LED's for numlock and caps lack AND have controllable underlighting? I recall a distinction being made about that early in this thread, but now seem to have confused myself!
What kind of LED's are you all using for caps lock and numlock?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:25:26 »
Is the numpad enter misalignment something that's been noted previously? I just noticed today. It's a touch farther up than it should be, and it occasionally causes the enter key to also press the + key.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #481 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:29:55 »
Is it possible to use LED's for numlock and caps lack AND have controllable underlighting? I recall a distinction being made about that early in this thread, but now seem to have confused myself!
What kind of LED's are you all using for caps lock and numlock?
Basically you can pick between any two LEDs. Num+Caps, Num+Underlighting, or Caps+Underlighting.

I'm only going to use underlighting.

My boards:
More

Offline Delirious

« Reply #482 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:02:10 »
Is the numpad enter misalignment something that's been noted previously? I just noticed today. It's a touch farther up than it should be, and it occasionally causes the enter key to also press the + key.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Just tested with Notepad open, my numpad Enter works fine. Check your switch may be you didn't properly install them. Another quick way to fix it is to file the edges of both keycaps down.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #483 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 19:36:38 »
The numpad enter key is slightly misaligned and will occasionally clip the + key. Doesn't affect me much though since I press the entire enter key and not just an edge.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 16:58:37 »
Alright, I've licked the underlight problem. For those of you who care, read about the details below. For those who don't you can just update your local copy or grab one of these convenient pre-compiled images:

The problem was basically me not knowing how to use PWM. There are a lot of ways it can be complicated, and the data sheet explains every single one all at once. If you want to be confused try to figure out PWM from the datasheet alone. :) I got lucky when it was on C6 and grabbed an example that worked with basically no modification. I had to noodle through setting it up on B6 all on my own.

-        TC4H = 0x03;
-        OCR3C = 0xFF;
-        TCCR3A = 0b10000010;
-        TCCR3B = 0b00000001;
+        ICR1 = 0xFFFF;
+        TCCR1A = 0b00100010; // COM1B1 and WGM11, datasheet page 131
+        TCCR1B = 0b00011001; // WGM13, WGM12, and CS10, datasheet page 133
+
+        OCR1B = 0x0000;

This diff shows the changes I needed to make between C6 and B6. The biggest change is that I couldn't get 8-bit PWM working, so I eventually gave up and used 16-bit. That's where the ICR1 comes from, I had to change to 16 bit by writing to that set of registers. Then I not only had to change to a new set of timers, but also build a new bit-mask, which meant a lot of reading to determine what each bit meant. (Seriously, grab the datasheet, head to page 131, and try to figure out what those mean. :) )

switch (level)
         {
             case 0:
-                pwm_level = 0x00;
+                // Turn off underlighting
+                PORTB &= ~(_BV(PORTB7));
+                OCR1B = 0x0000;
                 break;
             case 1:
-                pwm_level = 0x0F;
+                // Turn underlighting back on at low level
+                PORTB |= (_BV(PORTB7));
+                OCR1B = 0x00FF;
                 break;
             case 2:
-                pwm_level = 0x80;
+                OCR1B = 0x0FFF;
                 break;
             case 3:
-                pwm_level = 0xFF;
+                OCR1B = 0xFFFF;
                 break;
             default:
                 xprintf("Unknown level: %d\n", level);
         }
-
-        TC4H = pwm_level >> 8;
-        OCR3A = 0xFF & pwm_level;
     }

This was the next fun change. In order to write the pwm level to C6, you have to use this weird 10 bit scheme where you write the top 2 bits to TC4H (this is the same register used for anything that needs 10 bits) and then you write the bottom 8 bits to the actual register, in C6's case OCR3A. The MCU knows to grab the full 10 bit value... somehow. This actually meant that writing PWM values to B6 is EASIER, but since C6 was complicated it took me a while to accept that I was overcomplicating it.

And so here we are, 6 hours later. It doesn't really seem like that big of a change now that it's working.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #485 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:03:12 »
Alright, I've licked the underlight problem. For those of you who care, read about the details below. For those who don't you can just update your local copy or grab one of these convenient pre-compiled images:

More

The problem was basically me not knowing how to use PWM. There are a lot of ways it can be complicated, and the data sheet explains every single one all at once. If you want to be confused try to figure out PWM from the datasheet alone. :) I got lucky when it was on C6 and grabbed an example that worked with basically no modification. I had to noodle through setting it up on B6 all on my own.

-        TC4H = 0x03;
-        OCR3C = 0xFF;
-        TCCR3A = 0b10000010;
-        TCCR3B = 0b00000001;
+        ICR1 = 0xFFFF;
+        TCCR1A = 0b00100010; // COM1B1 and WGM11, datasheet page 131
+        TCCR1B = 0b00011001; // WGM13, WGM12, and CS10, datasheet page 133
+
+        OCR1B = 0x0000;

This diff shows the changes I needed to make between C6 and B6. The biggest change is that I couldn't get 8-bit PWM working, so I eventually gave up and used 16-bit. That's where the ICR1 comes from, I had to change to 16 bit by writing to that set of registers. Then I not only had to change to a new set of timers, but also build a new bit-mask, which meant a lot of reading to determine what each bit meant. (Seriously, grab the datasheet, head to page 131, and try to figure out what those mean. :) )

switch (level)
         {
             case 0:
-                pwm_level = 0x00;
+                // Turn off underlighting
+                PORTB &= ~(_BV(PORTB7));
+                OCR1B = 0x0000;
                 break;
             case 1:
-                pwm_level = 0x0F;
+                // Turn underlighting back on at low level
+                PORTB |= (_BV(PORTB7));
+                OCR1B = 0x00FF;
                 break;
             case 2:
-                pwm_level = 0x80;
                 break;
             case 3:
-                pwm_level = 0xFF;
+                OCR1B = 0xFFFF;
                 break;
             default:
                 xprintf("Unknown level: %d\n", level);
         }
-
-        TC4H = pwm_level >> 8;
-        OCR3A = 0xFF & pwm_level;
     }

This was the next fun change. In order to write the pwm level to C6, you have to use this weird 10 bit scheme where you write the top 2 bits to TC4H (this is the same register used for anything that needs 10 bits) and then you write the bottom 8 bits to the actual register, in C6's case OCR3A. The MCU knows to grab the full 10 bit value... somehow. This actually meant that writing PWM values to B6 is EASIER, but since C6 was complicated it took me a while to accept that I was overcomplicating it.

And so here we are, 6 hours later. It doesn't really seem like that big of a change now that it's working.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I saw this last night and SSH'd into my dev machine at the office to add these changes and compile it, but I wasn't able to actually flash the new firmware and try it out until I got here this morning. So far, so good!

I played around a bit with the brightness settings and I wound up with some values that seem a little more evenly-spaced, visually:

index 1cc181a..4f99fa1 100644
@@ -68,10 +68,10 @@ void led_set(uint8_t usb_led)
             case 1:
                 // Turn underlighting back on at low level
                 PORTB |= (_BV(PORTB7));
-                OCR1B = 0x00FF;
                 break;
             case 2:
-                OCR1B = 0x0FFF;
+                OCR1B = 0x87FF;
                 break;
             case 3:
                 OCR1B = 0xFFFF;

Basically I just took the old level 2 value and made it level 1, then set level 2 to the average between levels 1 and 3. 0x0FFF + 0xFFFF = 0x10FFE, divide that by 2 and you get 0x87FF. PROTIP: Google's autocomplete will do that math for you as you type.

One weird thing I noticed, and this may be a wiring/soldering thing on my end....but when the backlight is fully off, I get weird things happening when I hit certain keys. Namely, when I press any of the 3/E/D/C keys, all four characters show up. This isn't a huge deal because I basically keep the backlight on. But it would be good to know if it's something I did hardware-wise that can be fixed.

My boards:
More

Offline notmybongos

« Reply #486 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:13:32 »
Basically you can pick between any two LEDs. Num+Caps, Num+Underlighting, or Caps+Underlighting.

So, say I chose a capslock LED + underlighting. Would it be possible to configure the firmware to turn the underlighting on when numlock is toggled?

Or is it much more of a simple/hardwired thing, where the switch controls the LED?
Basically, I think the underlighting would look really cool – but I'd prefer it to have some meaning, other than just look flashy; something like binding it to some kind of modality like function layers, modifier keys, etc.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:51:35 »

So, say I chose a capslock LED + underlighting. Would it be possible to configure the firmware to turn the underlighting on when numlock is toggled?

Or is it much more of a simple/hardwired thing, where the switch controls the LED?
Basically, I think the underlighting would look really cool – but I'd prefer it to have some meaning, other than just look flashy; something like binding it to some kind of modality like function layers, modifier keys, etc.

If you want that tied to numlock you just configure the firmware as if you were using numlock, but wire up the underlighting. I actually did all my software testing using the opposite, underlight configured but wired up to numlock. Note that you'll need to do some firmware work if you want the brightness to be controllable as well, but if you just want on/off tied to numlock it's super simple.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #488 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 02:50:22 »
Rather unfortunately, the mini-USB connector came loose. :( I tried to solder it back on but my job wasn't the best and right now the underlighting works but the board does not. Any things I can do to fix it? Are there still spare PCBs?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #489 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 03:02:32 »
Rather unfortunately, the mini-USB connector came loose. :( I tried to solder it back on but my job wasn't the best and right now the underlighting works but the board does not. Any things I can do to fix it? Are there still spare PCBs?

That's not good  :(

I've never soldered one of those connectors before but skullydazed repaired some of the connectors before so he may be able to give some pointers.

Unfortunately there are no more spare PCBs.
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 20:47:00 »
I'm finally going to have time to put this together in the next week, but I still have a few questions. Now I have the board and the underlighting components in hand, I'm not sure exactly what goes where and how. I want to have controllable underlighting only. So I need to solder a small wire between C6 and UNDERLIGHT? Then I also need to solder the FET to FET1 and the single resistor to R20?

Edit: I decided to go ahead and build this thing. It was a steep learning curve, but I have a fully working keyboard! This is my first build, and first time soldering anything so small, so you can imagine how all powerful I feel right now. I flashed the updated firmware for the underlighting fix and things seem fine on that score. I am also noticing that when the backlight is off, multiple keys seem to get pressed.

I love my Monarch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2016, 19:25:56 by stoic-lemon »

Offline goldmahn

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:12:13 »
I know it's pretty after-the-fact, but are there any plans to sell a new shipment of this board?  I'm in love with it.  The Mac layout, the Alps, the 10-key on the left side...

Please do let me know if you are planning on making a new shipment of this fabulous board.

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #492 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 12:37:52 »
The builds look great.  Feel a little bad I chickened out of buying and building one.

Offline gerankle

« Reply #493 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 15:23:33 »
Any possibility of a round two? Just discovered the board and it looks great!

Offline cmaz

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 10:32:08 »
Wow, can't believe this exists! As a Mac CAD user (I do this to myself..), this is my grail!
I'll be checking back for round 2.. Lovely pics.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #495 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 03:48:46 »
I love this layout, and I'd love to have an alps board!

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #496 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:17:54 »
****, why did I discover this.

Offline notmybongos

« Reply #498 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 12:11:59 »
Having a little trouble getting underlighting to work. I've bridged GND to UNDERLIGHT and jumpered the FET bypass. I actually want to use controllable underlighting and NUM/CLEAR LED...but I figured I should troubleshoot the lighting first. I'm pretty green at SMD work.
Here's a pic of the jumper section.
161012-0

Some other odd behavior... If I'm typing rather quickly, key input freezes for about 2 seconds. This started happening after I added LEDs etc.
I also checked for continuity & shorts on the lighting rail and that seems fine...

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 12:37:59 »
Having a little trouble getting underlighting to work. I've bridged GND to UNDERLIGHT and jumpered the FET bypass. I actually want to use controllable underlighting and NUM/CLEAR LED...but I figured I should troubleshoot the lighting first. I'm pretty green at SMD work.
Here's a pic of the jumper section.
(Attachment Link)

Some other odd behavior... If I'm typing rather quickly, key input freezes for about 2 seconds. This started happening after I added LEDs etc.
I also checked for continuity & shorts on the lighting rail and that seems fine...

With the jumper to GND you don't need the FET, which is why the bypass is there. If you have the FET you should not have the bypass, and vice-versa. Sorry that wasn't clear from the silkscreen, I see how you could interpret it the way you did.

Remove the FET bypass jumper and see if that clears up your problems.