Author Topic: Add Bluetooth 5.0 to the keyboard  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Crazy Designers

Add Bluetooth 5.0 to the keyboard
« on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 01:30:29 »
Based on the trend of wireless technology, we try to add the function of Bluetooth 5.0 to the cyberboard. But we ran into a problem: the antenna would be obscured by the aluminum alloy case.

So we need to make a hole in the front to expose the antenna, and then we cover it with a piece of non-metal material.

any thoughts?

for those who dont know what i'm talking about: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105389.msg2881671#msg2881671
Future Art Community.

Offline Applet

Re: Add Bluetooth 5.0 to the keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 03:11:01 »
This might work but you should really test it out somehow, there is still alot of metal surrounding it that might end up decreasing the RF performance. That said tho, you usually have the keyboard pretty close to the computer, so it might not be an issue? You could do the bottom in acrylic? That also makes it possible to add underglow.

This is just my 2 cent: If you go the route of adding bluetooth, do it well or don't do it. Make sure that it is intuitive how to pair (or use dongle) and make sure battery life is good. Otherwise it will only bring the keyboard down (imo). Since the design is centerd around the led's, which you would only use while being connected with the cable(?), I'd say a lack of bluetooth would not be that bad. That being said, I do encourage adding bluetooth, it is a great feature :D

What bluetooth solution (chips) are you considering?

Offline senjo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 03:13:25 »
wireless, yea
definitely wanna get rid of wiresssss

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 04:17:57 »
This might work but you should really test it out somehow, there is still alot of metal surrounding it that might end up decreasing the RF performance. That said tho, you usually have the keyboard pretty close to the computer, so it might not be an issue? You could do the bottom in acrylic? That also makes it possible to add underglow.

This is just my 2 cent: If you go the route of adding bluetooth, do it well or don't do it. Make sure that it is intuitive how to pair (or use dongle) and make sure battery life is good. Otherwise it will only bring the keyboard down (imo). Since the design is centerd around the led's, which you would only use while being connected with the cable(?), I'd say a lack of bluetooth would not be that bad. That being said, I do encourage adding bluetooth, it is a great feature :D

thanks for the advice! everything we do we do it big, for now we dont change our minds. hope we can find a perfect solution
Future Art Community.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 04:21:02 »
people keep telling us that bluetooth is not that necessary for the Cyberboard. but we still wanna give it a try
Future Art Community.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:01:48 »

currently we are using Nordic 52810
Future Art Community.

Offline Applet

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:11:57 »

currently we are using Nordic 528100
Interesting, will it be used in addition to another MCU or will it be the main processor? (I'm guessing in addition)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:24:12 by Applet »

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 02:33:17 »
just a thought, if the led strip on the top is not encased in metal, but on a smoked perspex strip, won't the bluetooth signal be just fine?
probably you can test out the max range and put a disclaimer on the distance from the reciever that it still remains functional?

alternatively, what if the keyboard housed a 4 port usb hub that allows to plug in a USB external transciever? users then now recievers a  4 port USB hub (admitted for only low powered device if not plugged in), and they can plug perirpheral recievers like wireless mouse to it as wel...