Author Topic: Which key switches are available for purchase?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Kalmarauder

Which key switches are available for purchase?
« on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 06:27:27 »
I want to build my own fully programmable key matrix. If I use Cherry MX switches they'll be red, but I haven't tried any other brands of switches and I don't know what's easily obtainable besides Cherry. Can you get Topre or Alps switches? I'm going to buy a switch sample bag from Mrinterface the next time he's selling them to try some out.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: Which key switches are available for purchase?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 06:58:44 »
MX are pretty easy to find. I know for sure that Topre are not sold separately. Regarding Alps you'll soon be able to get them from Matias. Good luck for your build!

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 07:58:44 »
Would those be the switches in the Quiet Pro Keyboard? If they truly are "the world's quietest" as they claim then I might want to use them depending on how they feel. I do enjoy the feel of a tactile switch, letting you know where the actuation point is, but I found the sound of my MX Blue keyboard a little bit distracting. I'd also have to figure out where to get Alps key caps if I did use those switches. Cherry MX is certainly the easiest to obtain key caps for.

Offline xorpher

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 09:23:23 »
Would those be the switches in the Quiet Pro Keyboard?

No, Matias doesn't use cherry switches. The Quiet Pro uses a newly designed alps switch. I think it's ALPS Orange?

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 14:35:04 »
I know it doesn't use Cherry switches, maybe I didn't express myself very well. I meant that I would like to try the new Alps switches by Matias, and if I like them and want to use them I would have to find out where to get Alps key caps. I also commented that Cherry MX switches and caps are easy to obtain.