Author Topic: Keylusion - Exploring the Casting World  (Read 14115 times)

Offline SoftKeys

Keylusion - Exploring the Casting World
« on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 19:11:15 »
Hello all!

After seeing so many wonderful keycap designs and creations here, I'm going to give it a try too.
I've taken an interest in the ability to cast my own creations, and I'd like to share and document my experience here. Hopefully others can learn from it too.

My equipment and materials:

California Air Tools 5510SE Air Compressor
Grizzly H6329 Paint Tank
Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 300 (too short potlife for me... now I only use this for double-shot details)
Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 305
Smooth-On Oomoo 30
Smooth-On Universal Mold Release (Not good for making 2 part silicon molds... Use Mann Ease Release 200 for that)
Mann Ease Release (use for making silicon molds and with $ynth)
UVO Resin Coloring
Super Sculpey Clay
Sculpting Tools
~:$ynth

After lots of reading of other's experiences I went with this list of stuff, and so far it's all working great.
That air compressor is quiet enough where I can use it indoors (don't have a garage). I did have to purchase a hose+couplings for it though.
I converted the paint tank to a pressure pot pretty easily by removing the extras and a couple trips to the hardware store, no leaks  :D
The materials all worked great, I now use more appropriate materials for my needs.

My setup:
More

My first few results!
More

With LED:
More

I think the first few trials came out okay for my first mold. I'm already making another one, hopefully it turns out better.
After a week of experimenting I think I've learned quite a bit about the process and hope to improve my results, and eventually move on to my own artisan designs.
There's more to come!

I do have 1 question though if anyone can help me. My keycaps fit on the MX stem just fine, but I feel they are a bit loose. I can pull the keycaps off just fine without the need of a keycap puller. Any tips to make a tighter or more precise stem fit in the mold?
Solution: So letting the resin cure longer before removing the stem and putting it on a switch has improved the results. Stems are tight fitting now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2016, 19:34:34 by SoftKeys »

Offline gohono3

Re: Exploring the Casting World - DIY
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 22:18:23 »
Thanks for dropping by to say hello and I wish you all the best with your efforts.

I'm guessing there will be a wave of people taking the plunge thanks to the ~:$ynth and I hope they are encouraged to share their experiences.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 02:56:07 »
Looking good :thumb:

DSA caps are known for being a tight fit on the stem and they're nice and short to sculpt on when the time comes, doesn't help with matching blanks though.  You could shave a very thin layer of silicone off the stem in the mold?  I've never played with this stuff so it might be too flexible and/or small to be an option...

If they don't fall off when you turn the board upside down I wouldn't worry about it :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 20:19:26 »
Looking good :thumb:

DSA caps are known for being a tight fit on the stem and they're nice and short to sculpt on when the time comes, doesn't help with matching blanks though.  You could shave a very thin layer of silicone off the stem in the mold?  I've never played with this stuff so it might be too flexible and/or small to be an option...

If they don't fall off when you turn the board upside down I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thanks for the advice suicidal_orange, I tried shaving off a thin layer off the stem of the silicon mold, but I wasn't very successful with that. The silicon is pretty flexible and prone to tearing or taking off more than I want... couldn't get just a shaving off. Maybe I'll try a different silicone to see if it makes a difference.

I also got a $ynth in the mail this week and made a few blanks with it so far. I thought using the stem insert from it would create a nice tight stem, but I still feel my keycaps are still too loose on the switches.
I love the tool though as it will be a great aid when sculpting.

More experimenting this weekend~  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 20:23:55 by SoftKeys »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 03:47:56 »
Did your $ynth stem fit in without fililng/sanding?  Mine didn't, I sanded it to fit but then realised the actual stem part was equally unfinished and I couldn't get a cap on it so I requested a replacement.  The original arrived quicker than expected so I still have no other capmaking stuff so kinda glad I'm waiting on the postman rather than losing time due to being unprepared :))

Looks like you're using a popular silicone so that shouldn't be the problem, do you have extreme heat or humidity at the moment?  That affects this stuff...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 07:32:54 »
I got lucky with my $ynth and the stem fit just fine. I made a mold the day I got it and a blank the next day ;D I read that several people had the stem issue, sorry you were in that group :(

I do live in Florida where it's 90F/32C and 82% humidity right now... My apartment is at 74F and probably not as humid though? Hmmmm, maybe a dehumidifier could improve results. Thanks for the consideration!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 07:37:23 »
Where did you get the pressure pot?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 07:47:55 »
Where did you get the pressure pot?

I got it from Amazon, here's the link

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 11:00:00 »
I've gotten much better results lately from improving my process and taking better care. Stem fits a little tighter, and overall cleaner looking keys I think. I still get the occasional bubble on the bottom, but they don't affect function or how it looks when placed on a keyboard.

Currently experimenting with a marble look. I made a mold for R1 arrow keys, and I'll probably make various marble colored sets. Color options are fun :D

$ynth results:

Offline Epic

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 12:33:40 »
I haven't tried Smooth Cast 300 but it looks very similar to Alumilite white (same pot life). My initial castings had stems that fit but were lose as well - I eventually figured out that I was being a bit too impatient and did not wait for my castings to be completely hard cured. Alumilite claims that it takes only 10 minutes, but I prefer to let it cure for a full day before I even try mounting it on my keyboard and I haven't ran into loose stems issue since. Hope this helps!

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 15:11:44 »
I haven't tried Smooth Cast 300 but it looks very similar to Alumilite white (same pot life). My initial castings had stems that fit but were lose as well - I eventually figured out that I was being a bit too impatient and did not wait for my castings to be completely hard cured. Alumilite claims that it takes only 10 minutes, but I prefer to let it cure for a full day before I even try mounting it on my keyboard and I haven't ran into loose stems issue since. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! I'll try your method of waiting a day to cure before mounting on a switch and see how that turns out :D
I'm just looking for a very consistent method. I may have been rushing too much.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 14:30:11 »
Tried some sculpting directly onto the $ynth. I've learned it's very challenging turning ideas into clay... but I'll keep practicing. I think each design will take several attempts in clay before I come up with something I like.

Here's a V1 prototype of what I imagine as a "Bamboo Key." I'll try sculpting it again to look cleaner with smoother sides, sharper edges at the top, and maybe add a leaf stem on the side.
Also my first attempt at two color blending on a key, just playing around with it. Stay tuned for V2~ :D

More

I also made a mushroom sculpt with a rather angry looking face on it, but I'm not proud of it enough to show it lol. It will need a couple revisions, or I might just scrap it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2016, 23:51:05 by SoftKeys »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 14:34:42 »
Casting looks really good - it brings out all the details, and the blending looks good. But I have no idea how that resembles a bamboo.. thing? I don't know, perhaps you can help me figure out what's going on? :confused:

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 14:44:45 »
Casting looks really good - it brings out all the details, and the blending looks good. But I have no idea how that resembles a bamboo.. thing? I don't know, perhaps you can help me figure out what's going on? :confused:

I was going for something like this? I'm not very good at arts and crafts lol... but I'm learning!
Maybe I should exclude the little bump/ridge on the side? Might get the idea across better.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2016, 14:46:27 by SoftKeys »

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 23:58:39 »
Remodeled the design, and I think this came out much better.

Bamboo cap:

Offline Epic

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 09:58:10 »
Awesome. How'd your stem turn out this time around?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 10:00:02 »
Oh I get it ;D

Looks much better in the right colors.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 10:16:53 »
Awesome. How'd your stem turn out this time around?

Perfect! No more loose fits. It was definitely a cure time issue.

Oh I get it ;D

Looks much better in the right colors.

Thanks! I don't blame you for not seeing it the first time -- it wasn't very obvious lol.

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 15:15:05 »

Bamboo cap:
Show Image

Digging it

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 08:07:57 »

Bamboo cap:
Show Image

Hehe cute :D I like it.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 11:42:33 »
Thanks guys :D

I cast a couple more with better coloring. I think I got the hang of multiple colors now.

Also new design! I'll probably work on this a little more, but I think its coming along nicely. Hopefully I'll get this molded and cast next weekend.

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 17:54:12 »
I really like that lizard-looking guy! The horns are really cool  :thumb:

And the bamboo key is coming along nicely :)

Offline jakejake

• Jacob Stanton - Industrial Designer
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 08:31:31 »
That lizard sculpt is looking great! This makes me want to drop the $ for one of those $ynths  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 14:18:42 »
Also new design! I'll probably work on this a little more, but I think its coming along nicely. Hopefully I'll get this molded and cast next weekend.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dragons are always a win in my book.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 19:23:17 »
Thanks Raenbo, jakejake, and romevi :D

Here's how it turned out. Had to shave the front and back in quite a bit because it was touching other keys, and added fangs on the corners so that the corners weren't too thin.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 22:12:51 »
Thanks Raenbo, jakejake, and romevi :D

Here's how it turned out. Had to shave the front and back in quite a bit because it was touching other keys, and added fangs on the corners so that the corners weren't too thin.

Show Image

Ha ha, I like how they look squat. And the bottoms are very clean.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 19:40:05 »
Weekend results and a name!

I've decided to make a brand name - Keylusion :D

Pending logo:

I continued to work on the Dragon design this past weekend. I've cleaned up the design some - smoothed the edges, shaved here and there, and I think it looks better.
Color mixing and experimenting has been fun. Sorry about the poor pictures, all I have is a phone camera.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:02:21 »

Pending logo:
Show Image

I continued to work on the Dragon design this past weekend. I've cleaned up the design some - smoothed the edges, shaved here and there, and I think it looks better.
Color mixing and experimenting has been fun. Sorry about the poor pictures, all I have is a phone camera.

Show Image

That blue one is mine, right?  ;)

So with the name change are you going to change your username as well? And how does the bottom of the cap look?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:20:15 »

Pending logo:
Show Image

Show Image

So with the name change are you going to change your username as well? And how does the bottom of the cap look?

No need to change username or anything. The bottoms look pretty much the same as before, but I do sand them smooth now, unless you mean putting a makers mark on it? I haven't done that yet, but I'd like to use that little spot that's available on the $ynth for it.

Thanks for checking out my stuff, romevi :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Keylusion - Exploring the Casting World
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:47:03 »

Pending logo:
Show Image

Show Image

No need to change username or anything. The bottoms look pretty much the same as before, but I do sand them smooth now, unless you mean putting a makers mark on it? I haven't done that yet, but I'd like to use that little spot that's available on the $ynth for it.

Thanks for checking out my stuff, romevi :D

Oh, never mind. I got it mixed up with a different cap! Scrolled above and saw the bottom. Very clean, but I guess I should expect that with the Synth!

Still like how they're little, squat dragons. :))

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:25:30 »
I like the concept of Yin and Yang, and I think it would be cool to incorporate that concept with a keycap design.

Inspirational picture: (not mine)

Yin Yang Dragon
I'll make them in pairs with matching colors.

Project documentation:
Had an issue today where the stem insert of the $ynth would get stuck after curing and I had to pry it out, breaking the keycap in the process. Happened the last 2 times :( I always use a generous amount of mold release on everything... so I'm not sure why it would get stuck. I'll soak the stem overnight to get it nice and clean, and hopefully that will fix it. Need to take more care in my process I guess.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:43:39 »
I like the concept of Yin and Yang, and I think it would be cool to incorporate that concept with a keycap design.

Inspirational picture: (not mine)
Show Image

Yin Yang Dragon
I'll make them in pairs with matching colors.

Show Image

Project documentation:
Had an issue today where the stem insert of the $ynth would get stuck after curing and I had to pry it out, breaking the keycap in the process. Happened the last 2 times :( I always use a generous amount of mold release on everything... so I'm not sure why it would get stuck. I'll soak the stem overnight to get it nice and clean, and hopefully that will fix it. Need to take more care in my process I guess.

These remind me of an argonian from skyrim, or as romevi says, a squat dragon. Really digging it :thumb:
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:16:24 »
These remind me of an argonian from skyrim, or as romevi says, a squat dragon. Really digging it :thumb:

Thanks! Glad you like it. :D It turned out pretty squat and chibi-like because I had to shave it down so that it wouldn't be interfering with the key below it. The design dimensions of a keycap are pretty restricting, but fun to work around.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:38:18 »
If you are taking requests(a guy can dream right?) I really need an olive drab and purple for an end game key!

Love the dragons, excited to see you start. Who knows what will come this time next year!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 04:43:17 »
Oh most definitely!
I am interested in seeing what you come up with. :D

Offline alveeno

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 19:31:32 »
Did you sculpt directly on the $ynth and bake it with $ynth and all?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 19:41:21 »
Did you sculpt directly on the $ynth and bake it with $ynth and all?

Yes, sculpted directly on the $ynth and baked while still on the $ynth. It removes easily after baking.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 22:08:39 »
Update and progress pictures.
Made a new 2x2 mold to make more at a time :D
New colorways also~

Also I think I'm going to have a small sale soon as I've run low on materials and need some more funding to continue. I hope to be able to further refine designs, make new colorways, and develop new sculptures in the future. I'm still pretty new to all this, but I love the MK community so far, it's very supportive. If you like the dragon design, I'll be selling several sets of each colorway. Hopefully this will be the start of a lasting hobby.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 11:54:31 »
Nice squats.  :))

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 12:09:00 »
Nice stuff. I love that sea foam green dragon guy. Your bamboo was uber cute too. 
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 17:34:50 »
Been working on a new design~  It's still in the works, but I like to document stages and progress. Still needs another iteration of smoothing.
Also I managed to add a maker's mark on the inside-bottom of the keycap using the $ynth. I think it's a nice little touch.

Kitsune (狐, キツネ) is the Japanese word for fox.

So I introduce the Keytsune :D

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 19:35:45 »
Been working on a new design~  It's still in the works, but I like to document stages and progress. Still needs another iteration of smoothing.
Also I managed to add a maker's mark on the inside-bottom of the keycap using the $ynth. I think it's a nice little touch.

Kitsune (狐, キツネ) is the Japanese word for fox.

So I introduce the Keytsune :D

Show Image

Show Image

LOVE THIS DESIGN! WHY AM I YELLING?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 10:50:56 »
Awesome fox! To me it looks like it is made of fire. It's too bad you loose some of the front detail when its on the board.
What do you use to sculpt if you don't mind me asking?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 11:55:20 »
Awesome fox! To me it looks like it is made of fire. It's too bad you loose some of the front detail when its on the board.
What do you use to sculpt if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! Yeah the front detail would be covered if there are keys right below it. It would look best on boards with a separated top row (Esc and F-keys)

I use Super Sculpey for sculpting.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 10:45:33 »
Update on my Keytsune design.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 11:20:02 »

Show Image

Cute. is it some sort of fox thing?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 11:31:17 »

Show Image

Yeah its a fox, and this one has 5 tails. Kinda like the 9-tailed fox from Pokemon or Naruto if you're familiar with it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 12:03:41 »

Show Image

Yeah its a fox, and this one has 5 tails. Kinda like the 9-tailed fox from Pokemon or Naruto if you're familiar with it.

Oh, cool! I think there's a nine-tailed fox from Chinese mythology too.
Impressive getting the tails there, but at first I thought they were spines or something.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 06:07:34 »

Show Image

That's adorable!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 07:21:43 »

Show Image

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:00:27 »
Colors~

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 23:42:16 »
Colors~

Show Image

The bottommost left looks like it has a bow tie.  ;D

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 15:51:32 »
Colors~

Show Image

The bottommost left looks like it has a bow tie.  ;D

I know! I thought the same thing as soon as I took it out of the mold lol

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 05:00:31 »
Wow the Keytsune is really cute! I'd love to have one   :thumb:

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 08:20:03 »
How easy do you find popping the cap off the synth? I'm having a terrible time with mine, even with plenty of mould release  :(

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 10:07:12 »
How easy do you find popping the cap off the synth? I'm having a terrible time with mine, even with plenty of mould release  :(

Did you use Vaseline in the stem part? I remember seeing on a vid  that you really need to put it in certain parts of the stem piece or it will create a bit of a vacuum when you try to take it apart. (I have yet to receive my synth, so i don't know for sure) Maybe give Binge a shout if you are having a lot of troubles?

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 13:49:49 »

Did you use Vaseline in the stem part? I remember seeing on a vid  that you really need to put it in certain parts of the stem piece or it will create a bit of a vacuum when you try to take it apart. (I have yet to receive my synth, so i don't know for sure) Maybe give Binge a shout if you are having a lot of troubles?

Yep. I also tried using vaseline as release all over the synth and it's still difficult to pop the cap off. I have to pry the caps off my synth. I have the second run without the teflon coating, although I haven't used the first run synths I swear the teflon coating really helps when popping off the cap. Mine has machine marks all over, which I think makes it more difficult to remove the cap. I did contact Binge and he said he's looking into new manufacturers.

Sorry to hijack thread!

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 15:53:54 »

Yep. I also tried using vaseline as release all over the synth and it's still difficult to pop the cap off. I have to pry the caps off my synth. I have the second run without the teflon coating, although I haven't used the first run synths I swear the teflon coating really helps when popping off the cap. Mine has machine marks all over, which I think makes it more difficult to remove the cap. I did contact Binge and he said he's looking into new manufacturers.

Sorry to hijack thread!

I've had problems where it was difficult to remove the casted piece from the synth, but I now have a process that eliminated those problems. These steps might help:

• I liberally spray the synth and stem pieces with Mann Ease Release 200
  • Wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry
  • Apply another light coat
  • Remove the stem piece right after the resin reaches its cure time (too long and it can get hard to take out), and I usually wait another 5-10 before removing the keycap from the synth
  • Afterwards, make sure you clean both pieces well to remove any residue spray or resin for your next use - I wipe all mold release off, scrape any left over resin, and occasionally soak the pieces in MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to remove any tough resin that may be stuck to it. You can find MEK at a hardware store where they sell paint thinners, it breaks down urethane

Hopefully this helps fix your problem!

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 13:26:55 »
Worked on a new sculpt this weekend.

I call it - Chinchillin :D

I used to have a chinchilla as a pet for several years. This is me holding my little guy. They're so cute and fun, I miss him.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 13:51:37 »

Show Image

I used to have a chinchilla as a pet for several years. This is me holding my little guy. They're so cute and fun, I miss him.

Show Image

You should make one with 3D glasses.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 09:38:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looking good! Chinchillin out max and relaxing all cool. You should toats try the 3d glasses like romevi suggested hehe

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 15:50:23 »
You should make one with 3D glasses.

Looking good! Chinchillin out max and relaxing all cool. You should toats try the 3d glasses like romevi suggested hehe

Thanks!

Yeah I was thinking 3D glasses, all black, and maybe explore some pigments like chrome or color shifting.
I got a new shipment of materials on the way, so hopefully I can get a mold made this weekend and try some casting.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 17:06:57 »
First test cast.
I still want to clean the design up a bit.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:18:31 »
First test cast.
I still want to clean the design up a bit.

Show Image

Awesome! Lookin good :D

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 09:54:31 »
New design and theme I worked on this weekend

Bookey

Mystery - Purple/reddish
Adventure - Green/Yellow
Romance - Red/White
History - Brown/White
Horror - Black/Red

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 12:44:43 »
New design and theme I worked on this weekend

Bookey

Mystery - Purple/reddish
Adventure - Green/Yellow
Romance - Red/White
History - Brown/White
Horror - Black/Red

Show Image

Show Image

As a bibliophile, I absolutely must have one. I hope these and the kitsunes are included in the next sale.

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 21:20:18 »
Waiting for chinchilla.

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 15:58:15 »
I read the materials you used and I couldn't recognize like half of them lol but good job on the keys, especially the Kitsune. One of my faves from animes. And the boooks!  :)

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 20:39:30 »
It's been a little while, but I'd like to get back to casting.
Tried sculpting something new. I envisioned an anglerfish.

Angler
Body: dark colors (blue, black, purple)
Eyes/Lure: glow-in-the-dark colors (blue, green, white) - bought some nice new powders!

Would appreciate some feedback. I'm not sure it's as I envisioned it, so I might try another attempt, but I wanted to share this one.
My initial thought is that the lure looks kinda strange sitting there... but I don't know how to incorporate it. I might make it skinnier... hmmm.

Re-sculpt Plan: Remove the lure altogether and do a ragged top fin. Also thinner teeth.

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 16:40:21 »
It's been a little while, but I'd like to get back to casting.
Tried sculpting something new. I envisioned an anglerfish.

Angler
Body: dark colors (blue, black, purple)
Eyes/Lure: glow-in-the-dark colors (blue, green, white) - bought some nice new powders!

Would appreciate some feedback. I'm not sure it's as I envisioned it, so I might try another attempt, but I wanted to share this one.
My initial thought is that the lure looks kinda strange sitting there... but I don't know how to incorporate it. I might make it skinnier... hmmm.

Re-sculpt Plan: Remove the lure altogether and do a ragged top fin. Also thinner teeth.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I like the re-sculpt plan. The thinner teeth and the fin would look awesome. Can't wait to see what you come up with.