Author Topic: Actuation weight / sound on some keys are softer on my HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S  (Read 1450 times)

Offline anarchy89

I just got my second HHKB. My first was the pro classic, it's 6 months old and the keys feel perfect.

But for some reason, on my Type-S, the "=", "\" and "`" keys feel softer, the last 3 keys on the top row. They sound softer and it felt like they needed less weight to push them down. It bothered me so I went to do a coin weight test some forums recommended.

So I tried all the keys could withstand 43.21g except those 3 keys. I went lower, to 39.36g and they were still activated. I even went lower to 36.65g and the delete key was still activated.

I'm in singapore so PFU doesn't directly sell those boards here. I talked to the reseller in my country and it comes with a 1 year warranty but apparently they are claiming that they don't do exchanges for these kinds of defects and that dome variability is normal within 2-4g but this is way more than that. They told me if I'm not happy with the product I can do a return within 7 days.

I am wondering if this is normal because those keys are at the corner or if this was done by design. Will they get stiffer and even out over time?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 February 2022, 05:45:36 by anarchy89 »

Offline rihen.robb

It's definitely not supposed to be like this. My immediate thought is that these domes are a variable weight similar to a Realforce, but that would have to be an aftermarket modification since the HHKB is meant to have the same weight across all the keys. It could also be a factory error, where a poorly-made dome made it past QC.  If you're interested in a project then you could always put your own domes in -- both Keyclack and Deskeys offer aftermarket domes at multiple weights, and you could use this as an excuse to lube the sliders as well. But if that doesn't sound fun to you, I'd recommend just returning the keyboard and ordering again, since I doubt it will "even out" over time.

(Also, as a note, any aftermarket domes will alter the feel of the keys slightly. I would recommend looking into this before doing any modifications, to make sure you can get a typing experience you'll enjoy!)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
It is a defect. Exchange it or return it. I should be uniform. I wouldn't be cracking it open at the price you probably paid. Get one that is proper, and then down the line you can consider modding one or both of your HHKBs.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline anarchy89

Thanks for the advice, I refunded it and am getting a piece directly from the japan store.

Offline anarchy89

New piece arrived today from japan, no issues, perfectly even. Just needs to be broken in. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk