Author Topic: Keycap replacement for the Corsair K70 (Cherry Brown Backlit)  (Read 30933 times)

Offline pchatterjee

Keycap replacement for the Corsair K70 (Cherry Brown Backlit)
« on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:32:31 »
All:

Have not really customized a keyboard before so was wondering the following (note my ideal is a buckling spring keyboard or alps but getting those with modern features other than matias seems impossible):

1) The keycaps on the board are chintzy -- can they be replaced with something better that is compatible? (my preference is something like the old keycaps on the model Ms or the Apple extendeds from way back (I have both))

2) Any other types of modes possible on this board like dampeners, better springs etc than the cherry's -- which I am best indiffrerent to.

Thanks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Keycap replacement for the Corsair K70 (Cherry Brown Backlit)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:20:25 »
Those are among the most annoying to get keycaps for, since they had to be really different and use odd size arrangement on the bottom row modifiers. Best choices are to either cobble together a set from Cherry G80 or G81 L*U-0/L**US-0/L**EU-0 models with PBT or buy some DSA or DCS PBT keys from Signature Plastics. Either way the spacebar is currently not replaceable unless you don't mind gaps on the ends using a smaller size spacebar since it uses a totally nonstandard size.

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:57:05 »
Thanks appreciate teh help -- the keycap quality really is quite low -- will look into the g80 stuff.

Offline lazylex

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:37:39 »
MaxKeyboard has two sets that can be used as replacements, however they are still ABS and I haven't personally used them. They include a spacebar that will fit too (G710+ uses same sized spacebar as the k70)

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/keyboard-parts/key-cap/full-keycap-sets.html

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:24:51 »
I'm just getting ready to move my K70 to work (replacing it here w/ a Shine 3) and replaced the caps w/ B+W standard double shot ABS caps from Signature Plastics. So much better ! Note that I don't use the backlight (I can see them flicker, main reason why this will become my work board),  but even tho the lights don't shine through the caps anymore (except on the white ones maybe) you still get a nice glow around them. For the bottom row only the Alt caps would fit, so I reused some caps from a Max set I had floating around. I will try to remember taking a picture tonight.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:44:11 »
I like the aesthetics of the keyboard -- but I so want the buckling spring feel.

Keycap replacement would be a nice start.  Is it possible to replace the switched with cherry greens or some sort of ALPs set up?

I know a little off topic but are cherry greens/clears closest to buckling spring.  The only thing i have really liked in comparison to bucking spring was the complicated white alps(?) on the Apple extendeds (alos 20 years old). 

Any suggestions for my tastes with something modern?  I also have the matias non-quiet version and am a bit indifferent to it.

I have quite a few Model Ms (including the metal plate black label) that I love but just want a more modern keyboard that is quieter (backlight would be nice but not critical).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 19:01:51 »
I would say clicky switch with clear springs is the closest. If you are going to take everything apart to solder in different switches you might as well go for custom.

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 19:20:51 »
Ah ok.   Not really well versed on soldering.  What's the closest I can come to in modern keyboards?  That CODE keyboard that's sold out.

Will dampeners help the feel of this K70?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 20:12:34 »
Greens then I suppose. You can get green switch QFR or QFXT form the CMstore. Dampeners, you mean like orings or landing pads? All those do really is cushion bottoming out.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 20:41:54 »
I will try to remember taking a picture tonight.

Here it is, K70 w/ B+W standard double shot ABS caps from Signature Plastics except Ctrl, Win, Menu & space bar.

- I'm game !

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:31:56 »
Those look like proper keycaps.  Really would be nice if they had some translucence.

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:36:04 »
Greens then I suppose. You can get green switch QFR or QFXT form the CMstore. Dampeners, you mean like orings or landing pads? All those do really is cushion bottoming out.

Yeah something to cushion the bottoming out on the Cherries.  Man its unbelievable how wrong they get the feel of the keys.

On mechanical keyboards they suggested the Ducky with Greens (no backlighting but it sounds like the stems, keycaps are better on these right (i.e. PBT, dye sublimated, better stems than the CMs quickfires?)

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=467

So if backlighting were not a showstopper this would be a good option?  Are cherry clears closer to a buckling spring/alps feel than the greens?

I will probably still get one of the keycap replacements suggested here.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:53:06 »
Oh yeah I forgot Ducky did greens too. yeah that would be a better buy since you want PBT keycaps anyway.

Offline tbc

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:43:51 »
what modern features are you even looking for in the first place.  it really sounds like the switch is more important to you than anything.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 23:02:22 »

Here it is, K70 w/ B+W standard double shot ABS caps from Signature Plastics except Ctrl, Win, Menu & space bar.

Show Image
Show Image

Whoo, those are some pretty DSA caps. First modded Corsair keyboard I've seen.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 11:32:12 »

Show Image
Show Image

what modern features are you even looking for in the first place.  it really sounds like the switch is more important to you than anything.

To a large extent you are right.  Ideally I would want a real IBM model M in modern housing, USB connectors, backlighting and the option to have quiet key presses for when I am on the phone.  There really is nothing that comes close to meeting this except for unicomp but they won't refresh their designs at all or license their patents to other vendors.  Switch and key feel are the most important -- I have numerous Model Ms, a Matias Tactile Pro, an Apple Extended (spanish layout unfortunately) and this K70 I just bought.

I realize what I want is pretty unlikely to be unavailable since Buckling spring is with Unicomp and they wont expand their offerings and Apple keyboard alps switches seems pretty rare.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2013, 11:39:55 by pchatterjee »

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 11:33:41 »

Show Image
Show Image

Those are pretty nice.  Is it possible to get those in grey? 

Do they have those types of things in stock?

Offline Grendel

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 17:22:02 »
The stuff they have in stock can be found here (that's also where I got mine.)
- I'm game !

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 18:40:59 »
I think that the k70 has a unstandard keylayout

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tbc

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 19:04:39 »
the option to have quiet key presses for when I am on the phone.

um....you want a keyboard with on the fly customizable loudness?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 19:13:17 »
the option to have quiet key presses for when I am on the phone.

um....you want a keyboard with on the fly customizable loudness?

Model M with a speaker.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:21:57 »

Show Image
Show Image

not getting the message much? its partially modded, if by any chance he replaces some of the bottom modifiers he is stuck using the same space bar forever! now go and tell James from Corsair how much the majority loves the bottom modifiers + the space bar.

Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:36:37 »

Show Image
Show Image

not getting the message much? its partially modded, if by any chance he replaces some of the bottom modifiers he is stuck using the same space bar forever! now go and tell James from Corsair how much the majority loves the bottom modifiers + the space bar.

Having fun stalking all of my posts, bazem? I get the message fine, and I decided to post that I like his DSA caps; perhaps you could realize that I was not trying to make some complicated statement about how I approve of Corsair keycaps and instead make one about how nice his keycaps are.

Not going to waste my time attempting to argue with a keyboard-warrior-stalker.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.