Author Topic: metal topre spacebar?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline tbc

metal topre spacebar?
« on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 04:27:50 »
is there a reason metal spacebars for topres aren't popular?  do people actually PREFER ABS with their topres?   I really doubt cost is a reason when you count the amount of clacks on HHKBs lol
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: metal topre spacebar?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 04:31:43 »
It would destroy the switch.

Also you can not get heavy enough domes to support the spacebar properly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 04:44:00 by longweight »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:03:04 »
^^ That.
I know that feng makes zinc spacebars, but I think that Topre springs couldn't support it. If you wanted metal, maybe you could spray it chrome?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:03:59 »
It's the dome not the spring that give the switch it's weight and feel.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:19:35 »
Are you sure it couldn't support it? I mean, the aluminum ones are pretty dang light. People put those titanium ones on Reds and they still work... And there is always the additional spring around the slider option from the FC660C.

Also, how would it destroy the switch? The stem of a Topre cap goes inside of the slider, right? Wouldn't it just technically have to sit inside and not be turned upside down to where it might fall out?

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:21:45 »
It could have some kind of rubber or plastic around the stems so as not to damage the stems on the switch when inserted. I bet an aluminum one would be fine, even on a 45g, but I don't know about Titanium. I remember hearing people complain that the Titanium spacebar from Hammer rose up too slowly. I don't know if a 45g Topre switch would push it up passed the actuation point at all, considering that unlike a Cherry switch a Topre swtich doesn't press up as hard at the bottom.

Also, I'd like to point out that nothing is popular for Topres. You basically have Clacks and whatever is on EK.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:24:40 by AuRinBei »
87u || Poker 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:56:47 »
How about the Topre boards with two springs under the space bar?

Would they support a metal space bar better?

How about three springs?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:28:57 »
Anyone wanna experiment? :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:41:28 »
If I had an aluminum spacebar, I'd do it. I have a hacksaw.

Offline tbc

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 01:18:10 »
If I had an aluminum spacebar, I'd do it. I have a hacksaw.

wouldn't you have to have a metal topre stem though?  I guess the shape isn't actually very complex though lol

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 06:06:12 »
Topre keys are already hard enough to come by

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline SNF

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 12:50:16 »
It's the dome not the spring that give the switch it's weight and feel.

Topre keys are already hard enough to come by

#truth

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 19:14:52 »
I will take an abs space bar over a bent pbt one.
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 19:28:08 »
I will take an abs space bar over a bent pbt one.

Bent PBT can be straightened, and will not sine.  ABS will shine in a week.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 19:59:59 »
My aluminum spacebars were definitely too heavy for stock MX Browns.  Clear spring stiffness made them okay (though still clanky).  I prefer plastic, having tried both Cherry and OEM profile aluminum spacebars. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 05:56:01 »
Hmm, ever tried a wood spacebar?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 02:40:45 »

Really? A week? Maybe if you are coding on it 12 hours a day and eating chips at the same time,
but my type s would beg to differ, as would my poker...
I had a couple of RF's as well that didn't get any shine in the time I had them... but tbh I usually sell my keyboards before they look used, the type S is the only one I wont part with

all the hair drying in the world wont make a bent space bar perfectly straight and it must be a PITA to do
quality ABS doubleshots are better than pbt IMO

People put those titanium ones on Reds and they still work

No. No way. It "works" as in you can use it to put spaces in between your words, but it sucks. It's sluggish and crap. blacks only for a titanium space bar

^what this guy above said, metal space bars look good in a photo with a nice key set and a plastic skull, but if you wanted to use it for, you know, typing and that, plastic is much better
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 03:10:57 by mehkat1974 »
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 04:48:49 »

Really? A week? Maybe if you are coding on it 12 hours a day and eating chips at the same time,
but my type s would beg to differ, as would my poker...
I had a couple of RF's as well that didn't get any shine in the time I had them... but tbh I usually sell my keyboards before they look used, the type S is the only one I wont part with

Yeah, about a week.  I put the EK set on my KeyCool and used them at work.  I press the space bar in the same spot on the right side all the time, and it has started going shiny on the front top corner.