Author Topic: apple-specific keycaps for topre?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline romeovs

apple-specific keycaps for topre?
« on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:34:56 »
Hi everyone.

I'm looking into getting my first high-end keyboard.
I was looking at the variable weighted Topre tenkeyless models.

However I've got one concern. All these keyboards seem to have a
windows-specific layout. I know I can remap the keys in the software, but
I don't think I would like having a keyboard that has the windows button on
it where the cmd key should be.

I've tried looking for apple-specific or blank keycaps for the Topre models but haven't
found anything useful.

What are your ideas about this?

Offline BlueBär

Re: apple-specific keycaps for topre?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:49:37 »
I know I can remap the keys in the software, but
I don't think I would like having a keyboard that has the windows button on
it where the super key should be.

FTFY

You can still get blank keycaps for the HHKB but Realforce blank keycaps are out of stock and no more in production iirc. Your best bet for thouse would probably be the classifieds.

Offline romeovs

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:55:46 »
Okay,

mind you I'm new to this forum. I have no idea what classifieds are. Please provide a little more information.

Also I saw on this forum that a lot of custom keys seem to be made (eg starcraft keys).
Is this something one could do at home?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 14:11:57 »
1. mind you I'm new to this forum. I have no idea what classifieds are. Please provide a little more information.

2.Also I saw on this forum that a lot of custom keys seem to be made (eg starcraft keys).
Is this something one could do at home?

1. The classifieds are the market subforum of Geekhack. You can buy and sell things there, but there are some rules you need to observe (they are in a sticky thread in the subforum).
2. It takes time, skill and an initial budget, so I would recommend you just to buy them from the vendors or artisans who offer them. What keycaps were you looking at?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 14:14:21 »
your only option for apple-specific is the HHKB printed set. it comes with apple and alt/option keys in the right size.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 18:46:38 »
your only option for apple-specific is the HHKB printed set. it comes with apple and alt/option keys in the right size.

Which can be found at EK:

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=pdkb400ktb
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=pdkb400ktw
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romeovs

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 04:46:51 »
Okay cool guys thanks for the info!