Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4156460 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #27800 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 04:52:12 »
Sounds lovely tp4 but given the monotony of work and little else due to lockdown I'll stick to more varied diet as a source of something close to pleasure for now.

In other news I discovered by mistake that from next week my hours are changing at work.  I'm bothered that no-one thought to tell me, the actual change means I wont have to cycle in the midday heat which is a good thing.  Getting up at 5 every day is not natural (for me) though but I guess I'll get used to it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27801 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 14:07:56 »
Cycled to work, forgot new handlebars are wider than old ones and tried to fit them through what was a tight fit before.  Made it through but my 'little' finger is not so little anymore!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27802 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 16:56:26 »
Cycled to work, forgot new handlebars are wider than old ones and tried to fit them through what was a tight fit before.  Made it through but my 'little' finger is not so little anymore!

Outside = 2 Dangerous.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27803 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 18:09:42 »

Outside = 2 Dangerous.

It's fine, as long as you have a brain.  At the moment I do not.

Got to work and fought with a 140lb steel bar and bruised the palm of my other hand - inside can be dangerous too!  So much for making the most of my last two night rides home :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #27804 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 04:23:47 »

Outside = 2 Dangerous.

It's fine, as long as you have a brain.  At the moment I do not.

Got to work and fought with a 140lb steel bar and bruised the palm of my other hand - inside can be dangerous too!  So much for making the most of my last two night rides home :(
I'm sorry for all this crap that's happening to you :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27805 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 18:03:02 »
Installed a new 180mm fan that's actually PWM in place of the old one which was supposed to be switched Hi/Low which I had attached to a PWM adaptor.  Great, except today is hot and the motherboard insists that 70*C is too hot for a CPU so at 60*C it starts ramping up to ridiculous volume which makes something vibrate.  Then it slows down again.  And repeat... 15 minutes of this and I've had enough but it's hot and midnight so I can't be bothered to dismantle everything to re-fit the old fan.  Headphones on...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27807 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 19:45:37 »
There is, from 0 to 60*C it's set to 20% then it ramps up to 100% at 70* which you have no choice about.  Might work better on a non CPU fan header if it will let me disable monitoring but it's a an ITX mobo with a huge heatsink covering all three headers (all between the rear I/O area and the CPU) so that would need a complete system rebuild.  Do I trust myself with a screwdriver in the tight top corner at the moment?  No :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27808 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 22:10:33 »
Every day of my life is so excruciatingly boring. It feels like every day I am just biding my time until bed. Useless wasted time with nowhere to go and nothing to do. No car no money no friends no options. I'm just wasting my life waiting to die. It's so boring, and so pointless.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27809 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 04:38:59 »
Every day of my life is so excruciatingly boring. It feels like every day I am just biding my time until bed. Useless wasted time with nowhere to go and nothing to do. No car no money no friends no options. I'm just wasting my life waiting to die. It's so boring, and so pointless.

I'm replying because this is a rare time when I do know what someone else is feeling because I feel the same.  Unfortunately despite having it 'better' in your view all I can say is that friends, work and enough money to do/buy things without questioning if you can afford it doesn't make this pointless feeling go away, it just distracts you from it more often.  If you pile enough of these things up (as, in my view, most people do by having a job and a family) you gain the illusion of satisfaction but is it real?  I'm not so sure.  The same distraction can be achieved by doing anything and it doesn't have to cost - think rearranging your living space or weeding a garden, these take hours.

Also a shout out to exercise, not because it has some magical physiological benefit to mental well-being (at least not in my experience) but because it eats time twice - once when you're doing it and again by making you tired so bedtime comes sooner.

So yeah, you're looking in the wrong place but I have no idea where you should be looking else I'd be looking there too.  At times I can see why religion and cults exist - they give you something to attach to.  Not recommending them though.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27810 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 11:39:39 »
Also a shout out to exercise, not because it has some magical physiological benefit to mental well-being (at least not in my experience) but because it eats time twice - once when you're doing it and again by making you tired so bedtime comes sooner.
Exercise does not need to mean going to a gym, or cross-training or jogging or anything. Walking is fine. (intensity vs duration)
And if you in your activity get out and experience some nature ... or maybe just a city park, just seeing some green plants can have big effect on your emotional well-being.

And sometimes you just need to change your scenery and experience new things. Go and get a coffee at a coffee shop you haven't been to before in another neighbourhood you haven't been to before, or something, just to break the monotony.

I've not been in a "good place" emotionally for a long time, but these things are some that I try to do, and I find works for me, at least a little.

Offline iri

« Reply #27811 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 15:16:17 »
And sometimes you just need to change your scenery and experience new things. Go and get a coffee at a coffee shop you haven't been to before in another neighbourhood you haven't been to before, or something, just to break the monotony.
That's not very easy in a lockdown, which exacerbates people's mental health issues...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27812 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 18:35:26 »
That's not very easy in a lockdown, which exacerbates people's mental health issues...
Indeed, but you don't have to interact with other people. I'm sorry, that was a bad example right now. But the important thing is to experience new things and get your blood flowing while doing it.

The situation is not the same in every city. And it shouldn't forbid people to take a walk. (I know "nonessential" walks are forbidden in some places)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27813 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 18:57:10 »
Indeed, but you don't have to interact with other people. I'm sorry, that was a bad example right now. But the important thing is to experience new things and get your blood flowing while doing it.

The situation is not the same in every city. And it shouldn't forbid people to take a walk. (I know "nonessential" walks are forbidden in some places)

I will readily admit I sometimes get anxiety attacks in groups of people, but that's the entire point. If I never leave the house that gets really really bad. I have stayed in for months before (preplague) and when pressed to do a simple task outside I started freaking out and having some sort of stupid physical breakdown. It was super lame and I get mad at myself when it happens. But without the option to leave my home and be around other people in the flesh my issues exacerbate and get quite bad.

I am genuinely afraid of a future that potentially has the tech sector working from home exclusively, and all your consumer products are delivered. My brain literally cannot handle living like that, it will destroy me turning me into Gollum for real.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27814 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 19:42:35 »
I am genuinely afraid of a future that potentially has the tech sector working from home exclusively, and all your consumer products are delivered. My brain literally cannot handle living like that, it will destroy me turning me into Gollum for real.

We should have a poll,  how Gollum R'we on a scale from 1 to 10.

Tp4,  bout a 7 or 8,  cuz he already makes weird noises sometimes for no reason. /Consequence of #RoneryLYF.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27815 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 20:05:04 »

We should have a poll,  how Gollum R'we on a scale from 1 to 10.

Tp4,  bout a 7 or 8,  cuz he already makes weird noises sometimes for no reason. /Consequence of #RoneryLYF.

I'm so pale I burst into flames with direct sunlight contact, I talk to myself often, and love bashing fish on rocks.

I'd say about a 6/10

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27816 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 04:01:23 »
I spend most of my free time (plague or not) in my bedroom with the black curtains shut and often forget to turn on the light when it's dark so I've got the cave part dialled.  I'm often acused of making noises when I think I'm talking, aided by having a soft voice.  I score lowly on clasping a prized possesion though, I have a few nice things but they get damaged through use or ignored/lost for months on end.  15mins to sunburnt neck was my record in college, now I usually wear a cycling helmet to cheat that.  People I can take or leave, I can usually tone myself down to be inoffensive if I know I'll see a new person again so need to make a good impression, hopefully by the time they realise I'm a misanthrope they know I'm not all bad.  Relationship (platonic or romantic) skills?  Well in three months of lockdown I've contacted no-one, so not great.

Maybe 5/10 Gollumness for me.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #27817 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 04:03:17 »

Do you have a psychologist or psychiatrist? By the way you are sounding, I'd suggest getting professional help ASAP. This is not a knock on you, but rather an attempt to be a helpful friend.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27818 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 05:01:02 »

Do you have a psychologist or psychiatrist? By the way you are sounding, I'd suggest getting professional help ASAP. This is not a knock on you, but rather an attempt to be a helpful friend.

Are they not $100+/hour over there then?  Would be good but bold says no in my experience :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27819 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 19:37:37 »

Are they not $100+/hour over there then?  Would be good but bold says no in my experience :(

Some tidbits saying covid can cause neurological disorders/ symptoms , mind fog. etc.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

Offline jamster

« Reply #27820 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 21:29:47 »
There's also a lot to be said for spending less time reading scary news, that you can't do anything about, on the internet.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/doomscrolling-is-slowly-eroding-your-mental-health/

I've certainly found my mental state to be a lot better once I heavily restricted news consumption, both in terms of time and sources.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 21:31:36 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27821 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 22:26:08 »
There's also a lot to be said for spending less time reading scary news, that you can't do anything about, on the internet.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/doomscrolling-is-slowly-eroding-your-mental-health/

I've certainly found my mental state to be a lot better once I heavily restricted news consumption, both in terms of time and sources.

Certainly agree that one shouldn't get Hung-Up on the badnews,  but I think it's quite important to stay up to date, every couple of hours on the pandemic.  Just in case some chance disease mutation causes viral Encephalitis or zombie- apocalypse. At which point you'd proceed to stock up on shotguns and samurai swords.

The mutation probability is directly proportional to the infected population which only seems to grow.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27822 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 22:27:32 »
It is not a good idea to be online right before bed-time, no matter what you read.

But most of us are still living in democracies, and in a democracy, that citizens get news and are actively participating in public discourse about current events is essential. Citizens are not just cattle to be woo'ed every four years. The world is facing some pretty hard challenges right now, that require that everyone does their part,
and ignoring these issues is the worst thing that we could do.
What we need is awareness, righteousness and action. And those require the news, yes, while staying sane ...
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 22:38:50 by Findecanor »

Offline jamster

« Reply #27823 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 23:01:03 »
There's a difference between ignoring issues, and moderating news consumption.

I think that the current media model of garnering clicks results in a massively disproportionate amount of noise vs signal, and prematurely exaggerates could-be-maybes. This thing about mutation is one such issue that I believe to be overly exaggerated, the *credible* and *measured* readings I've seen on the issue pretty much say it's overblown, but I've been reading about fears of mutation since February (we got hit way before the US). Even if it's a serious issue, what does the individual, worrying about it in front of their screen, right now, achieve? This is a thing that's going to be addressed largely by serious researchers working tirelessly behind the scenes in labs. And again the sources I've found credible don't seem to think it a desperately pressing issue. And in my city, everyone is already acting pretty responsibly and are doing a pretty good job of things, it's not like people are hiding their heads in the sand.

News consumption and staying informed is an important part of a healthy, democratic society. But I also believe that democracies were healthier and more robust before the advent of Facebook, Twitter, and the 24 hour news cycle. In fact, I'd go further and say that short term distractionary news is exactly what makes us more likely to be cattle to be wooed by populist politicians.

Years ago, I shifted to a model of scanning headlines for anything major, on a daily basis. And then weekly publications for big serious long term stuff. That worked great, it sorted out a lot of the sub-24 hour chaff. Then when various local and global crises hit, I got sucked into hour-by-hour news scanning again. Some of that was necessary, as there have been riots or protests by my home or workplace which disrupted travel- there have literally been globally reported beatings by police a five minute walk from my house (issues that predate the current situation in the US). But there was also a lot of stuff that wasn't going to affect me one way or another in the shorter term (this day, this week). And I personally found that it was this stuff that I couldn't affect that was grinding me down.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 23:13:39 by jamster »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27824 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 03:57:14 »

Some tidbits saying covid can cause neurological disorders/ symptoms , mind fog. etc.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

Thanks for that - finally got the one stat I wanted thanks to one of my favourite countries:

Quote from: Icelandic study
fully 50% of the population who carried the virus expressed no symptoms whatsoever.

The Happy Hypoxia and brain stuff is pretty scary though...
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 07:52:07 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27825 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 07:32:27 »
Thanks for that - finally got the one stat I wanted thanks to one of my favourite countries:

Quote from: Icelandic study
fully 50% of the population who carried the virus expressed no symptoms whatsoever.

The Happy Hypoxia and brain stuff is pretty scary though...

You buy the little oxygen saturation meter.  when you feel the mind fog, give it a couple runs over 10-20 minutes.

Mod edit: fixed quoted quote

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27826 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:03:47 »
You buy the little oxygen saturation meter.  when you feel the mind fog, give it a couple runs over 10-20 minutes.

When you feel it?  It's constant...  Don't think it's Corona related as I feel very similar to this time last year but the same symptoms don't necessarily mean the same cause.

Is 9x5 star reviews better than hundreds of 5 star and a handful of 1 star?  Unsurprisingly I have no idea of trusted brands when it comes to medical equipment.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27827 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:13:36 »
When you feel it?  It's constant...  Don't think it's Corona related as I feel very similar to this time last year but the same symptoms don't necessarily mean the same cause.

Is 9x5 star reviews better than hundreds of 5 star and a handful of 1 star?  Unsurprisingly I have no idea of trusted brands when it comes to medical equipment.

It's just 2 LEDs and a light sensor.  I don't think it matters, just get the cheaper one.

We don't know when the virus actually got out, and there's suspicion that it may not have even originated from Chn..

Most politicians are too afraid to do backtracing, because every time they do, they find older and older positive cases.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27828 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 09:55:45 »
It's just 2 LEDs and a light sensor.  I don't think it matters, just get the cheaper one.

We don't know when the virus actually got out, and there's suspicion that it may not have even originated from Chn..

Most politicians are too afraid to do backtracing, because every time they do, they find older and older positive cases.

Quote from: Amazon review
Oximter heated up after supplied batteries were inserted correctly.
Became too hot to handle. Strong burning smell. Removed melting batteries using oven glove. Fire hazard.

Maybe not that one then

So what are we saying, there was a crappy version of Corona last year and the proper version now is a 'better' (evolutionarily speaking from the virus' perspective) version?  Yeah, no-one wants to hear that.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27829 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 09:57:20 »
Indeed. But I'm afraid that too many people (especially young people) are ignoring news media completely, and that the notion of limiting news consumption could encourage that behaviour.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27830 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 10:09:55 »
Indeed. But I'm afraid that too many people (especially young people) are ignoring news media completely, and that the notion of limiting news consumption could encourage that behaviour.
I'm not young but never liked the news as it's never anything positive so I pretty much ignore it.  It's that or get angry at my fellow man's stupidity on many levels then get depressed because I'm totally incapable of doing anything about it (no money to pay someone, no charisma or literary talent to get them to do it for free)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27831 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 16:57:34 »
(no money to pay someone, no charisma or literary talent to get them to do it for free)

Sorange standards are 2 high..  no need for steaks @ the sit-in shop, just get regular takeout.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27832 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 20:57:35 »
I just spent six days on an island in a lake with no access to news. One day, I realized I had no idea what was going on in the world and I didn't care; I only cared about my immediate surroundings - preparing the next meal, gathering fire wood, when and where to fish, talking with friends, dealing with insects, etc. This felt really good, even physically, and I'm hoping I can keep this detoxification, from overstimulation via news and whatever, going at home. Staying vigilant is important, but getting away is really good for body and mind.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27833 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 22:57:58 »
(no money to pay someone, no charisma or literary talent to get them to do it for free)
Sorange standards are 2 high..  no need for steaks @ the sit-in shop, just get regular takeout.
:confused:

Are you talking about dating?  That's not going to do anything on a global scale and would just be another distraction from the wider awareness that's been proposed as healthy.

Think rainforest fires in Brazil, people trafficing, or poachers and endangered species in Africa - what you gonnna do without the above? 
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27834 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 07:03:06 »
:confused:

Are you talking about dating?  That's not going to do anything on a global scale and would just be another distraction from the wider awareness that's been proposed as healthy.

Think rainforest fires in Brazil, people trafficing, or poachers and endangered species in Africa - what you gonnna do without the above? 

Thought we were talking about brothels, but sure Rainforests, basically ~70-90% of rainforest cutting is to make space to graze Cattle.

Which means, EATING MEAT is the primary reason for deforestation.

Beyond Meat, it's delicious, it's unhealthy, and doesn't kill the rainforest.

Offline yui

« Reply #27835 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 07:47:20 »
Thought we were talking about brothels, but sure Rainforests, basically ~70-90% of rainforest cutting is to make space to graze Cattle.

Which means, EATING MEAT is the primary reason for deforestation.

Beyond Meat, it's delicious, it's unhealthy, and doesn't kill the rainforest.[/size][/color][/font]
from what i know most of the deforested land is used to produce ethanol, aka the "ecological" alternative for petrol, so driving on E85 is the main reason following your logic, although it is not either, the real reason is that the government wants more money and this wood sells for good money, and whatever you do on that land after it makes more money than being a huge oxygen maker...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27836 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 08:10:45 »
from what i know most of the deforested land is used to produce ethanol, aka the "ecological" alternative for petrol, so driving on E85 is the main reason following your logic, although it is not either, the real reason is that the government wants more money and this wood sells for good money, and whatever you do on that land after it makes more money than being a huge oxygen maker...

That is not remotely correct, animal agriculture is responsible for 70%+ of rainforest deforestation.

Up to 91% according to the world bank.

http://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/758171468768828889/pdf/277150PAPER0wbwp0no1022.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/business/energy-environment/deforestation-brazil-bolivia-south-america.html?_r=0

http://www.mightyearth.org/mysterymeat/

Offline jamster

« Reply #27837 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 09:41:06 »
I'm mildly bothered by the direction that the mech keyboard hobby seems to be going. Perhaps my memory is failing me or I was just oblivious at the time (either are entirely possible) but when I was active on GH five years ago, it seemed more about keyboards, the typing experience, and group buys were mostly for a fairly varied (in terms of price) range of keycaps from different manufacturers.

Having recently come back to the forum, it seems like most activity is skewed towards extremely expensive milled aluminium cases, and mostly (expensive) GMK key cap sets. Many references to the "RIP wallet" meme, little discussion of the differences between these 'high end' products. This is by no means always the case, but it is more common than not.

Essentially, as the hobby has reached a wider audience, it seems to be shifting towards raw consumption and spending money, rather than variety and typing. Eye candy, versus the joy using a high quality tool.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 10:38:42 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27838 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 09:44:57 »
Essentially, as the hobby has reached a wider audience, it seems to be shifting towards raw consumption and spending money more, rather than variety and typing. Eye candy, versus the joy using a high quality tool.

You can make super expensive titanium chopsticks with gold and ivory inlays.  But it's not going to work better than a pair of wooden ones.

That's the reality of keyboards since oh , 50 years ago.  This hobby was vanity from the very beginning, it's never changed.

Inflation has changed. The degree of people's vain-ness has changed.
What hasn't changed,  Typing Speeds,  Typing quantity,  English

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27839 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 11:26:50 »
You're right Jamster, there was more community and way less newbies posting in a never ending stream of interest checks as seen today.  From where I was looking that community was centred around a handful of artisan cap makers who have all moved on for whatever reason so equally bad on the expense vs function but I guess with hundreds of users online at all times there were enough people to both.

Right now I'm bothered that my gear cable unscrewed itself 5 minutes from the train station 3 minutes before a train was due.  I wanted to cycle, can't.  I would have been OK with the train I just missed.  I am not OK with waiting an hour to get on the busiest train of the day but that's exactly what I'm doing!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27840 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 11:53:41 »

Having recently come back to the forum, it seems like most activity

Yes, it's not like it was back in the day:

Quote from: Anonymous Coward circa 2011:

I feel ashamed when I see a grown up man say things like "…. a sharp drop at the actuation point at around 2/3 - 3/4 way down the ...."

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than yammering away on the minute details of a keyboard? I have both an M and an F that I picked up at goodwill for nothing 15 years ago and for the first time yesterday I googled about them and found 'enthusiast' (here an euphemism for retarded) websites where idiots bounce off the walls telling each other about the orgasms per second they have when using them.
And 'using' is an overstatement with 90% of those morons. Most are busy opening them, cleaning the last atom of dirt off them, 'restoring' what doesn't need any restoration, 'upgrading', thinking of names for them, 'modding', taking photos, showing them off, in general jerking off about the clicky sensations and the superb accuracy of their typing and other general uber-dorkiness. What I never found there was anything useful to do with them, ie. actually program a computer.

Go type 'messenger lectures' in youtube and see what smart people look like, then kill yourself disassembling your One True Keyboard (TM) for the nth time and swallowing all the buckling springs.

And then mail one of your remaining model Fs to me.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline iri

« Reply #27841 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:10:26 »
Wow, what an accurate description of geekhack!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27842 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:51:42 »
Essentially, as the hobby has reached a wider audience, it seems to be shifting towards raw consumption and spending money more, rather than variety and typing. Eye candy, versus the joy using a high quality tool.

You can make super expensive titanium chopsticks with gold and ivory inlays.  But it's not going to work better than a pair of wooden ones.

That's the reality of keyboards since oh , 50 years ago.  This hobby was vanity from the very beginning, it's never changed.

Inflation has changed. The degree of people's vain-ness has changed.
What hasn't changed,  Typing Speeds,  Typing quantity,  English

It has everything to do with comfort and build quality for me, and those are tangible things so I don't agree with your vanity assessment.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27843 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:38:11 »

You can make super expensive titanium chopsticks

It has everything to do with comfort and build quality

I have never liked slick chopsticks, I am not skilled enough and the food slides off.

My preference is rough cheap throwaway wooden sticks.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27844 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 21:32:58 »

You can make super expensive titanium chopsticks

It has everything to do with comfort and build quality

I have never liked slick chopsticks, I am not skilled enough and the food slides off.

My preference is rough cheap throwaway wooden sticks.

I was talking about keyboards though

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27845 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 21:46:43 »
I followed the Primus 75% interest check for over a year, and of course the order form crashed when everyone hit it at once. I looked away for a few minutes while it was being fixed, so I didn't get a slot.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27846 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 09:31:46 »
. started... so yeah

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27847 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 19:49:54 »
I miss East Coast Chinese food, PNW Chinese food is just bad

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27849 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:23:11 »
I miss East Coast Chinese food, PNW Chinese food is just bad

General Tso is Universal

General Tso is the best dish too (besides Chicken Egg Foo Young).