geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!

(1/45) > >>

asura:
As a brief introduction; I’m a product of the times, I graduated with a Masters degree in Architecture in Scotland a few weeks before this headline add to this an unwillingness to move out of my immediate area for work and I'm suddenly pretty much unemployable in my area of study.  So I fall back on my weekend/summer job – only unlike so many of my cohort this isn’t bar work, or waiting tables.  I make jewellery, I always hesitate to call myself a jeweller as I have no formal training, but I've been doing it on and off for about eighteen years so I'm fairly competent in what I'm doing.  My elder brother is a computer scientist, my younger a lecturer in electronic engineering who recently introduced me to his Unicomp (and now I own a KBT Pure with blue switches) so I've grown up with computers and stuff around me my whole life.

So I’m an artisan jeweller, who spent a lot of time on computers and is a bit of a geek… The outcome was, lets face it, inevitable.

Apologies for the poor photography, something I never really learned, love me some bokeh though.  This is my prototype silver key cap, which is as we type winging it’s way to mkawa to be auctioned off as a donation to GH.  I'm sure he’ll take some better pictures and then I'll steal borrow them!

I'm going to make another for myself (this time in Cherry profile rather than OEM) and a few people on bit-tech have raised interest, so I thought I’d post here to see if anyone was interested.

------------------------   29/11/12   ------------------------
So in a fit of madness I've decided to do all five major cap types simultaneously - I had planned to do them all, but there was going to be much staggering involved.  However, I decided that would be too much trouble to keep track of which was happening when, who's turn it was next, which profile's I'd done for which switch...  So instead of just the two cap types, there's also going to be Alps (cheep ebay board on it's way to me) BucklingSpring (to be borrowed from my brother) and Topre (kindly loaned by longweight)

What this does is push the time scale back a bit... it's not as bad as it first appears as I work some extra hours in December anyway, but it'll still most likely be mid/late January that the final products will ship, assuming I don't wear my finger tips down to the bone polishing them all up... need to get me an army of gnomes!

------------------------   14/12/12   ------------------------
Other finishes.

Brushed

Beed blasted

mkawa:
i just want to confirm that i do indeed have the sample from asura and it is, how to say... beautiful. my light tent is neither at the moment, so i will have to wait until tomorrow for pictures.

SmallFry:
Sweeeeeet!

rowdy:
Smoooooooooth (with a capital SMOO)!

tjcaustin:
Oh mans.

Make more plzkthx.

Hopefully this auction is sooner rather than later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version