Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 397999 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #950 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:32:16 »
I would say its pretty hard to remove the stabs without desoldering even with a nerd. The stab feet will get stuck and risk breaking them if you use too much force. I might be wrong, but that's how I felt at least , so I desoldered. gl

It was actually extremely easy you just pop them out from underneath the pcb as if the plate wasn't there lol. It didn't get stuck at all
I love Elzy

Offline yobinad

« Reply #951 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:00:37 »
I had to desolder everything on my GON NS NerD to change the stabs. It was impossible no breaking it without desolder.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #952 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:32:44 »
I had to desolder everything on my GON NS NerD to change the stabs. It was impossible no breaking it without desolder.

The alu plates don't have the wire cutout, from what I can see, so you couldn't pop the stabs out like Sifo did - you'd have to desolder all the switches so you could remove the top alu plate from covering the PCB (might be wrong on this).

Offline yobinad

« Reply #953 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:33:00 »
You're right.

It's impossible to remove the stabs without breaking them.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #954 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 14:39:33 »

The alu plates don't have the wire cutout, from what I can see, so you couldn't pop the stabs out like Sifo did - you'd have to desolder all the switches so you could remove the top alu plate from covering the PCB (might be wrong on this).

Yeah my NS87 doesn't have cut outs for wires either. I'm talking about the acrylic plates, which this version uses.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:08:27 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #955 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:20:02 »
My backlight works fine on windows but won't work on OSX, anyone else have this issue?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline yobinad

« Reply #956 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:22:49 »
My nerd 60 backlight works fine on my imac

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #957 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:27:33 »
Do I need to install NerdyGUI on both computers for it to work?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline yobinad

« Reply #958 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:35:31 »
Settings are saved on keyboard. NerDyGUI is just a tool to reconfigure the keyboard and only works on windows.

Check again the key combination to control backlight leds.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #959 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:50:52 »
I'm sure I'm pressing the correct keys. It's probably because my rig is a Hackintosh that always seems to cause problems with keyboards. I'll figure it out at some point.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #960 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:05:09 »
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone happen to know where I could find white replacement flat head screws for a NerD 60 acrylic case?

I had originally planned on purple, but the only ones I've seen were the ones linked a couple pages back and they're too pink to match my UV purple LEDs, so I thought white would look nice instead. :3
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #961 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 02:40:24 »
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone happen to know where I could find white replacement flat head screws for a NerD 60 acrylic case?

I had originally planned on purple, but the only ones I've seen were the ones linked a couple pages back and they're too pink to match my UV purple LEDs, so I thought white would look nice instead. :3

So I had been inquiring about picking up some different colored bolts for my new gon coming in and I'm hoping these will do the trick. I don't have the board in front of me but these match the measurements and look pretty close (I think to the ones gon supplies) if someone has an extra one they could take a close up picture of for me that would be great so I can try and match the head shape http://www.fastenerxx-express.com/m3-x-5-x-12mm-flat-head-socket-cap-screw-purple-anodized-qty-25.aspx

are you referring to the purplish pink ones I linked? If so I believe they carry a metal or stainless steel one which will probably work for you !!!!
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Azumia

« Reply #962 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 02:54:27 »
are you referring to the purplish pink ones I linked? If so I believe they carry a metal or stainless steel one which will probably work for you !!!!

Those are the ones I was referring to! :>

I actually did see those stainless steel ones and was planning on buying them if I couldn't find actual white ones.

Have you ordered the purple ones yet? Could you possibly post a picture of them once you receive them? I'd like to know how purple they are compared to the photo on the website. :3
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #963 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 03:17:04 »

I actually did see those stainless steel ones and was planning on buying them if I couldn't find actual white ones.

Have you ordered the purple ones yet? Could you possibly post a picture of them once you receive them? I'd like to know how purple they are compared to the photo on the website. :3
they should be here by saturday.... ill definitely throw up a pic  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #964 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:20:41 »
how does one configure nerd using command line in linux? atm i have to boot into windows to configure my leds, but apparently there is a CLI interface for linux?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #965 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:45:34 »
how does one configure nerd using command line in linux? atm i have to boot into windows to configure my leds, but apparently there is a CLI interface for linux?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50577.0;attach=69952 this is the CLI for it
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #966 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:48:37 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50577.0;attach=69952 this is the CLI for it

can't get that .exe to run in linux through sh or bash or zsh though... that's why i was confused.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #967 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:52:39 »
Seems to require .net framework 4... could try running it through Wine?
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #968 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:02:07 »
Seems to require .net framework 4... could try running it through Wine?

well there goes my windows free streak.

i'll give it a shot, thanks!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #969 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:51:37 »

here you go

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #970 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 20:16:58 »

here you go

That looks like the exact screws sent with mine. The color may be a perfect match.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #971 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 00:16:52 »
here you go

Thank you! :>

Definitely not going to match all of my UV purple stuff, but I'm still kind of tempted since I have yet to find white ones.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #972 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 12:24:06 »
So I cannot get NerD_config.exe to run for the life of me under Linux, using Wine.

Has anyone who uses Linux (Arch Linux, preferably) been able to run the CLI interface for configuring LEDs and such? How does one do this.

Thanks in advance.

Offline snowcolt17

« Reply #973 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:15:33 »
didnt wanna make a new topic for this..

but i see GON is backlogged bad..

is this for presoldered boards, or for anything in gnereal?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #974 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:38:00 »

actually he has presoldered pcbs with resistors for sale. what will likely delay you is assembled boards, or requesting soldering services. I requested side led service and it took me about 2 months (4x original estimate).

it was worth it. gon is definitely a "keyboard master" as he says.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #975 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:39:38 »

actually he has presoldered pcbs with resistors for sale. what will likely delay you is assembled boards, or requesting soldering services. I requested side led service and it took me about 2 months (4x original estimate).

I coulda done SMD LEDs... ;P just saying
I love Elzy

Offline snowcolt17

« Reply #976 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:48:45 »

so the full smt doesnt have a delay just the soldering services?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #977 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 08:25:00 »

lol yea, well, I ordered first *then* looked for services. if i ever have a lapse in judgment to buy another one, will def do that.  :thumb:

Offline Naweo

« Reply #978 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 10:42:24 »
I ordered my keyboard 10 months ago and it still says "payment accepted" and I can not get ahold of Gon. I paid almost 600 dollars for mine. Suggestions?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #979 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:13:51 »
I ordered my keyboard 10 months ago and it still says "payment accepted" and I can not get ahold of Gon. I paid almost 600 dollars for mine. Suggestions?

Were you able to successfully add him on Skype?

Offline Naweo

« Reply #980 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:09:24 »
I have had him on skype since I made my order. No responses for the last 3 months, 10 times or so.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #981 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:49:31 »
GON literally just replied to me when I contacted him via his website's contact form like an hour ago.
I love Elzy

Offline snowcolt17

« Reply #982 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 23:30:24 »

lol yea, well, I ordered first *then* looked for services. if i ever have a lapse in judgment to buy another one, will def do that.  :thumb:

i wish GON could conform it. if so id order it firday :/

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #983 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 04:30:36 »

I was in the same spot as you and I decided not to order, even though I wanted an unassembled case. I guess you have to be prepared to wait some time don't hope for a quick order IMHO.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #984 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 10:41:04 »
I figured out why my board wasn't lighting up on OSX. I had the lights set to num lock and scroll lock and apple doesn't use either on their boards and thus doesn't even recognize them as keys. Kinda bull**** but I guess I'll just have to change how they're set.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #985 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:17:16 »
I have had him on skype since I made my order. No responses for the last 3 months, 10 times or so.
Call him between 11 PM and 12:30 AM Eastern Standard. Try every fifteen minutes or so.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #986 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 02:55:59 »

I was in the same spot as you and I decided not to order, even though I wanted an unassembled case. I guess you have to be prepared to wait some time don't hope for a quick order IMHO.

Well i think everything will take time.  Some things more than other, i have ordered two pcbs which are not presoldered. Took me 1 month(got the shipping notification today, YAY) i have ordered 1 presoldered pcb and a anodized housing, took 5 months.

CTRL alt housing almost took a year. But i got it and i could not be happier.

Just order what you want, you will not be dissapointed.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #987 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 03:10:03 »

Well i think everything will take time.  Some things more than other, i have ordered two pcbs which are not presoldered. Took me 1 month(got the shipping notification today, YAY) i have ordered 1 presoldered pcb and a anodized housing, took 5 months.

CTRL alt housing almost took a year. But i got it and i could not be happier.

Just order what you want, you will not be dissapointed.

Yeah I'm hesitating. I know that the product will be nice, I have no doubt on that. It is just that I don't know if I want to wait that much. I have only one keyboard atm because I sold the other in order to have the fund for my custom build. I'm still gauging up what I want to do as I'm not sure myself. :D Perhaps I'll wait on the Duck Viper/Eagle v2 ...  ::)

Offline Naweo

« Reply #988 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 13:38:14 »
GON literally just replied to me when I contacted him via his website's contact form like an hour ago.

Okay I will try that. I do not like to spam call him on skype but... if this thing surpasses a year, then I will.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #989 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:39:41 »
I send a mail, still no response. Also trying to call many times during korean hours, at least 20 or 30 times thus far.

Anyone able to contact for me please? :)

Offline dav1k

« Reply #990 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 06:26:12 »
I have trying my best to read through some of the recent posts in this very long thread.

I'm interested in possibly placing an order for NerD mx-mini keyboard parts; assembly will be done by me.

Some questions I have are concerning his work load. I can imagine making Ferrari-esque keyboards will take quite a long time, and I can easily see waiting months for the product, but how responsive is the web-store regarding just parts? I'm ordering PCB and electronic parts to go with it for a build.

Second is much more specific. I'm interested in the Acrylic Housing for the mx-mini, and the page states "This housing is not compatible with On-PCB(Top Side) Backlight LEDs of NerD mx-mini Ver2.0 PCB." Does anyone have any information about that statement and/or anything else about that housing they are willing to share?

More the better!

Thanks guys!

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #991 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 12:13:32 »
I have trying my best to read through some of the recent posts in this very long thread.

I'm interested in possibly placing an order for NerD mx-mini keyboard parts; assembly will be done by me.

Some questions I have are concerning his work load. I can imagine making Ferrari-esque keyboards will take quite a long time, and I can easily see waiting months for the product, but how responsive is the web-store regarding just parts? I'm ordering PCB and electronic parts to go with it for a build.

Second is much more specific. I'm interested in the Acrylic Housing for the mx-mini, and the page states "This housing is not compatible with On-PCB(Top Side) Backlight LEDs of NerD mx-mini Ver2.0 PCB." Does anyone have any information about that statement and/or anything else about that housing they are willing to share?

More the better!

Thanks guys!

My first Gon order involved no assembly and still took around 2 months to be delivered. Which was fine by me, just letting you know.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #992 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 12:14:12 »

More the better!

Thanks guys!

My first Gon order involved no assembly and still took around 2 months to be delivered. Which was fine by me, just letting you know.

When did you order?

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #993 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 15:41:53 »
Early march. I just submitted another order last night of just a case and some parts, and he emailed me and said he should have it out in about 2 weeks, though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 00:41:59 by bweeldreyer »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #994 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 16:35:23 »

When did you order?

Early march. I just submitted another order last night of just a case and some parts, and he emailed me and said he should have it out in about 2 weeks, though.

WUT. **** I should have ordered ages ago ...

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #995 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 05:20:21 »
Hey guys
I just got my Hyperfuse order in last night and was really excited to get it on my board(Gont tkl w/ergo clears). I had a gateron blank key set on my board and while gently taking off the key caps I noticed that the switch tops on some of the keys would come off with the cap  :eek: this freaked me out as I always gently rock back and forth while removing caps especially on clears as I don't want to break a switch stem. I'm wondering if its because of how the switches are mounted on a gon ? Or maybe the keycaps were Just on really tight?

I have had a total of 5 boards with clears and this is the first time I have had this happen. I received these clears modded and lubed from gon with my board. Now the only way to take some of the caps off on the board is to use a small screw driver and hold the switch top down while removing the cap  :eek: its a pain in the ass !!!

Has this happened to anyone else ? Especially anyone else that has received gons pre modded switches ? The feel on the switches is amazing I'm just very worried that every time I remove a key cap its going to weaken the tabs on the switch or damage the switch in some other way.

If anyone has experienced this before please drop me a line or post in this thread.

Thanks 8)

Sed8

P.s. here's a shot of my board with GMK Hyperfuse

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #996 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 05:42:09 »
The feel on the switches is amazing I'm just very worried that every time I remove a key cap its going to weaken the tabs on the switch or damage the switch in some other way.

If anyone has experienced this before please drop me a line or post in this thread.

If you have weak switch tops then simply apply some lube onto your Hyperfuse Cherry MX stems before inserting them into position that way later on you can easily remove them without ripping off your switch tops.

It happens with certain CherryMX switches when using certain faulty batches of manufactured SP keys, that had ultra tight fitment.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #997 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 06:08:55 »
The feel on the switches is amazing I'm just very worried that every time I remove a key cap its going to weaken the tabs on the switch or damage the switch in some other way.

If you have weak switch tops then simply apply some lube onto your Hyperfuse Cherry MX stems before inserting them into position that way later on you can easily remove them without ripping off your switch tops.

It happens with certain CherryMX switches when using certain faulty batches of manufactured SP keys, that had ultra tight fitment.
thanks Elrick !!! I have OCD so if something is even a little off with something it drives me freaking nuts  :eek: I guess I'm just looking for someone to say it will be alright  :))

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #998 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:32:28 »
My first Gon had Ergo Clears and the bad kind of clear switch tops (not Gateron, the brand escapes me at the moment but I got them on tech keys) and the first time I switched caps I broke something like 4-5 switches. That's just life with clears. On a separate note, how is the GMK set with clears? I'm planning on putting a set on the new Zealio switches.

Beautiful board, by the way!

Offline yobinad

« Reply #999 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:34:27 »
@Sed8op8
I have moded clears by GON and don't have those issues when removing caps. Maybe your caps stem is too tight.