Author Topic: [IC] GMK Birch - GB live until March 1st, 2021  (Read 100786 times)

Offline break

Re: [IC] GMK Birch, a keyset inspired by mid-century modern design 🪑🪑
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 11:29:22 »
I think this would look amazing on the LeandreN's (Mekanisk) ultramarine color boards.

I think so too!

The blue looks quite a bit darker in the renders than the RAL swatch.  Interested to see some samples in plastic.

I think this would look amazing on the LeandreN's (Mekanisk) ultramarine color boards.

Something like this ultramarine Fjell?

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2020, 17:48:27 by breakbeatzors »

Offline ArttVandelay

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 18:46:40 »
Might be a good addition to the set.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:32:09 »

I think so too!

The blue looks quite a bit darker in the renders than the RAL swatch.  Interested to see some samples in plastic.

Show Image

Yep!  I just got a spot for an ultramarine Tind, too!  We gotta get this set in the queue asap :)

Offline break

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 21:10:47 »

I think so too!

Show Image

Yep!  I just got a spot for an ultramarine Tind, too!  We gotta get this set in the queue asap :)

I’ll try as hard as I can to hook you up. :) Hope to share more good news with you all soon.

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 10:44:31 »
Hell yea! Loving this set. Ilumkb for Asia vendor please!

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Offline Stev!e

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 18:43:54 »
An instant buy for me.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 19:55:35 »
This is really lovely. How about adding some white and / or cream split space bars to that spacebars kit?
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline break

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:57:24 »
This is really lovely. How about adding some white and / or cream split space bars to that spacebars kit?

Thank you! You can count on that change.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 02:35:26 »
FYI, most of your novelty designs are too detailed and won’t be possible to get made.

Offline break

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 09:45:32 »
FYI, most of your novelty designs are too detailed and won’t be possible to get made.

Thanks for calling this out. I agree! I think the tulip chair's bottom lip, the womb chair's cushion seam, and the grasshopper chair armrest are all thinner than GMK tolerance allows.

I will share a revamped novelty set early next month. As part of that, I'll make sure the designs conform to Uniqey's novelty guidelines. In the meantime, I've hidden the current novelty kit design.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2020, 09:53:20 by breakbeatzors »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 14:01:41 »
I’m 100% in on the theme and aesthetics of this set, yet the novelties are not of interest to me.  But I will buy this set in a heartbeat if it comes to Group Buy. I would be more interested in novelties that convey subtle curves and clean lines in a more abstract way.  I don’t know what that would be, however.

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 21:35:22 »
I almost feel like there's a lack of blue here. Like, the set looks slick right now, but I feel like the modifiers should all be blue and the alphas birch, or the other way around. Or something, I don't know. You've probably gone through a million colorways beforehand so you might've tried those.

I also, as a lover of mid-century modern, usually associate darker woods with it, like walnut and rosewood, maybe a little teak. It'd be cool to see the blue with that rich brown. Maybe alt-alphas? I don't know, just throwing spitballs at the board here.

Offline break

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 23:14:30 »
An instant buy for me.

Hell yea! Loving this set. Ilumkb for Asia vendor please!

Thank you both!!

I almost feel like there's a lack of blue here. Like, the set looks slick right now, but I feel like the modifiers should all be blue and the alphas birch, or the other way around. Or something, I don't know. You've probably gone through a million colorways beforehand so you might've tried those.

I also, as a lover of mid-century modern, usually associate darker woods with it, like walnut and rosewood, maybe a little teak. It'd be cool to see the blue with that rich brown. Maybe alt-alphas? I don't know, just throwing spitballs at the board here.

Thanks for the thoughts. :)

I primarily wanted a clean, creamy set that could look good with or without accents. So I did not spend much time exploring blue mods (too close to Solarized) or birch alphas (not as subtle as I would like).  There’s also a future/reality where this set becomes some kind of smash hit and I re-run it with a manufacturer (KAT?) which offers flexible kitting, allowing all of these combinations without worrying about GMK MOQs. Hopefully that is this reality.

All that said, you’re not the first to mention it and I’m considering a few things!

As for the darker woods, I agree. Classic mid-century furniture in birch is a stretch! The chairs inspiring the set are actually predominantly fiberglass! But this is where I landed, inspired in part by the modernization of mid-century chairs in brightly lit homes with whites and light woods like birch. Hope you all can forgive the slightly inauthentic color palette.

I’m 100% in on the theme and aesthetics of this set, yet the novelties are not of interest to me.  But I will buy this set in a heartbeat if it comes to Group Buy. I would be more interested in novelties that convey subtle curves and clean lines in a more abstract way.  I don’t know what that would be, however.

Thanks for the support and feedback. 🙏🏼 Hopefully you’ll enjoy the newer kit when it is unveiled.

Offline L8T

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 01:17:25 »
I think i'd like it a lot more if the accent color and mod color were swapped. The colors themselves are really pretty though, GL :)

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:50:20 »

I primarily wanted a clean, creamy set that could look good with or without accents. So I did not spend much time exploring blue mods (too close to Solarized) or birch alphas (not as subtle as I would like).  There’s also a future/reality where this set becomes some kind of smash hit and I re-run it with a manufacturer (KAT?) which offers flexible kitting, allowing all of these combinations without worrying about GMK MOQs. Hopefully that is this reality.

All that said, you’re not the first to mention it and I’m considering a few things!

As for the darker woods, I agree. Classic mid-century furniture in birch is a stretch! The chairs inspiring the set are actually predominantly fiberglass! But this is where I landed, inspired in part by the modernization of mid-century chairs in brightly lit homes with whites and light woods like birch. Hope you all can forgive the slightly inauthentic color palette.

No problem, it's great to read some of that. I would love KAT even more than GMK for that reason. Also I'm still kind of grasping at whether IC threads are places to give large feedback like that or not, so thank's for responding.

Offline break

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 14:11:15 »

No problem, it's great to read some of that. I would love KAT even more than GMK for that reason. Also I'm still kind of grasping at whether IC threads are places to give large feedback like that or not, so thank's for responding.
This is a great place to share feedback. If you offer thoughtful feedback in any of my ICs, I’ll do my best to reply thoughtfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 3ambutter

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 14:17:08 »
The R1 "Scroll" from GMK is a little messed up right now. The ll is tilted to the right. It looks like Scro//. I would recommend switch to "Lock" if GMK doesnt fix their molds. GL
Reborn60 | Keycult No.1 Rev.1 | SKB60 | TGR x SINGA UNIKORN | GSKT-00

Offline break

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 09:43:45 »
I've been sharing some ongoing work into both novelties and deskmats on my Instagram. Here's a low-res, super-rough cut of a deskmat idea.

Houndstooth has been around for centuries, but became especially popular as a men's suiting pattern during the 1930s. After finding this Knoll ad from 1965,

I felt inspired.

The R1 "Scroll" from GMK is a little messed up right now. The ll is tilted to the right. It looks like Scro//. I would recommend switch to "Lock" if GMK doesnt fix their molds. GL

Thanks for this suggestion! I'll consider it.

Offline Paragon

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 16:32:28 »
Amazing set, this is going to be a snap buy for me. Would it be possible to do a render with an e-white case? I am just wondering how it would look in terms of the accents.

Offline break

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 16:36:30 »
Amazing set, this is going to be a snap buy for me. Would it be possible to do a render with an e-white case? I am just wondering how it would look in terms of the accents.

Thank you!

You can expect an e-white render along with the next major update next month.

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:53:51 »
the only problem i see with this set is that it's not on my keyboard right now. not particularly interested in novelties, i rarely am, but i love the base set.
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline break

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 08:40:16 »
the only problem i see with this set is that it's not on my keyboard right now. not particularly interested in novelties, i rarely am, but i love the base set.

Hey, thank you! I see that as a problem too. ;D

Offline exxtralime

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 10:25:42 »
I've been sharing some ongoing work into both novelties and deskmats on my Instagram. Here's a low-res, super-rough cut of a deskmat idea.

Houndstooth has been around for centuries, but became especially popular as a men's suiting pattern during the 1930s. After finding this Knoll ad from 1965,

Show Image

I felt inspired.

Show Image

Been a geekhack guest for the last few months.. Made an account just for this! The set is an instant buy for me, and the pattern for a deskmat is perfect!! Love the set, great work

Offline break

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 11:54:34 »

Show Image

I felt inspired.

Show Image
Been a geekhack guest for the last few months.. Made an account just for this! The set is an instant buy for me, and the pattern for a deskmat is perfect!! Love the set, great work

Hey, thank you so much! I've added a variant of this deskmat design which matches more traditional high-contrast houndstooth patterns. What do you think?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 14:04:02 »
Hey, thank you so much! I've added a variant of this deskmat design which matches more traditional high-contrast houndstooth patterns. What do you think?

Show Image

Love it. Also, TIL what that pattern is called, thanks!

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 11:25:46 »
Love the color scheme. I'm in!

Offline break

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 20:17:49 »
I’ve started working on deskmats to take a break from a particularly challenging chair novelty. Vintage Knoll ads have provided lots of inspiration for these. I came across this ad and thought it was lovely - captures the curves of their landmark furniture really well.

So it’s serving as my inspiration for a second mat.

What do you think?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 14:46:16 »
I'm in! This is beautiful..

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 16:27:16 »
Gorgeous! I'm definitely in if there's a Canadian proxy. Pretty please!

Offline break

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 17:25:44 »
Gorgeous! I'm definitely in if there's a Canadian proxy. Pretty please!

Thank you! Let me look into it. :)

I'm in! This is beautiful..

Thank you so much!

Barring any issues in rendering, the novelty update is done. Damn, that was tiring. Here's a sneak peak:

I'll be quiet for the next week or so - need a break between this and GMK Red Alert. Catch you all soon!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:09:31 by break »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 09:25:09 »
^ Picture isn't working for me

By the way is there a tentative GB date?

Offline break

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:10:08 »
^ Picture isn't working for me

By the way is there a tentative GB date?

Should be updated, sorry about that.

It’s looking like early 2021 right now. I’ll have more concrete info to share with you all in the coming months.

Offline break

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 12:02:21 »
All right gang, the August update will be delayed by a few weeks now that I'm also working on GMK Red Alert for the end of 2020.

In the larger August update, you can expect:

• a reworked Novelty kit, as well as render updates
  • updates to the Spacebar kit: offering 1u and 1.25u spacebar, offering split alpha-colored bars.
  • updates to the Base kit: physical ISO support, "Break" instead of "Pause".

Hopefully this news tides you over for now:

Still waiting on more survey feedback for 40s support and NorDe-UK. I'd love to offer both, but pricing needs to make sense. I don't want to ask vendors to buy out kits that fail to meet MOQ.

I've also secured vendors for US, SEA, UK and EU. I'll announce them soon. GB will likely run early 2021, but I don't have an exact date yet.

Lastly, here's another sneak peak at a new novelty.

Offline polarhanakan

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 15:28:43 »
interested! beautiful colors

Offline break

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 10:27:30 »
Tiny update here:

Between life and GMK Red Alert, I unfortunately don't have more specific timing than "September" for the Big August GMK Birch Update right now. But I promise you that we are on track for GB in Q1 2021, including having secured most vendors (I'm just missing AU). I hope you all like what I'll have to show.

One more piece of news: Meika has confirmed that Latrialum will collaborate on artisans for GMK Birch. :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2020, 10:30:15 by break »

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 10:29:15 »
Tiny update here:

Between life and GMK Red Alert, I unfortunately don't have more specific timing than "September" for the Big August GMK Birch Update right now.

But I promise you that we are on track for GB, including having secured most vendors (I'm just missing AU). I hope you all like what I'll have to show.

One more piece of news: Meika has confirmed that Latrialum will collaborate on artisans for GMK Birch. :D
DailyClack for AU please!

Offline break

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 17:44:07 »
I will be on vacation starting Sunday for two weeks, and not around too often to answer Qs. Birch will continue moving along in the background. Hope you all are doing well and keeping safe!

Offline captainwado

• This is the way
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 18:02:30 »
An Eames lounge chair on a keycap set? Yes please! This calls for a rosewood novelty :)

Offline break

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:59:06 »
Hi folks! Have been swamped with work and fatherhood. That vacation was incredibly necessary.

Some progress to report: the novelty kit is now finalized.

I have also updated the base and spacebars kit in the initial post.

I promise a much larger announcement with lots of news coming by mid November. Things have been moving along very very well, despite the lack of chatter on this thread. :)

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 12:31:13 »
Can't stress this enough, but super hyped for this set!

Offline misu

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 14:10:02 »
Thanks for the update. Love the colors on this set. Will be looking forward to more details next month!

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 17:49:14 »
Lovely

Offline OKFNJesse

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 12:39:58 »
So stoked for this one.  I hope this releases in time to put on my Blue J-01

Offline break

Re: [IC] GMK Birch, a keyset inspired by mid-century modern design
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 21:57:50 »
Thank you all for the love!

One caveat on the novelties I've shared: after some feedback from a supplier, my US vendor and I are exploring any potential IP issues with legal counsel. Until we have a clear answer from counsel, I am calling that kit PROPOSED instead of finalized.

I would love nothing more than to see these novelties run as a kit, but I do not want to get anyone's hopes up.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2020, 22:00:21 by break »

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 22:05:23 »

Show Image

WOW. You know I love houndstooth and this is going to be a fire deskmat
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 22:09:55 »
Have you considered enlarging the light fixture to better fit the cap? I'm not sure that much negative space works in this instance.

Offline kwany

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 23:15:17 »
This is aesthetic AF. I'm def in on this!

Offline break

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 10:49:33 »
This is aesthetic AF. I'm def in on this!

Show Image

WOW. You know I love houndstooth and this is going to be a fire deskmat

Thank you both!!

Have you considered enlarging the light fixture to better fit the cap? I'm not sure that much negative space works in this instance.

Thanks for the feedback Fredington. Love your sets. There's a reason for the seemingly-weird spacing on that lamp:

Offline break

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 11:28:29 »
Tiny update:

GMK Birch will open for group buy at these vendors during February 2021.

US: CannonKeys.com
SEA: Monokei.co
EU: MyKeyboard.eu
UK: Prototypist.net
CA: DeskHero.ca
AU: DailyClack.com
CN: zFrontier.com

Check out OP for more renders. Thanks to Manzel and walker for the amazing work!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 11:51:35 »
Oh man, that's so far away :(

But I'll be joining day 1  ^-^