Author Topic: terminals wiki, computer graphics museum, manx, bitsavers...  (Read 3218 times)

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
terminals wiki, computer graphics museum, manx, bitsavers...
« on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:01:35 »
Hi, I am a principal participant in a number of vintage computing projects:

• I'm the primary developer on Manx, a open source web database of vintage computer documentation.  (codeplex project)
  • I'm the primary force behind the Terminals Wiki, an encyclopedia of computer terminals.
  • I'm the primary force behind the Computer Graphics Museum, a museum dedicated to the history of computer graphics.
  • I scan lots of content for BitSavers, and publish an RSS feed for new PDF and bits content.
Restoring and repairing terminals means I need to know lots about different keyboards and how they work, how to clean them and restore them, etc.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: terminals wiki, computer graphics museum, manx, bitsavers...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 01:26:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Detailed knowledge of how to clean (and repair?) keyboards will be most welcome around here :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 07:07:40 »
Nice resume! Why not just make your user name "Primary Force"? :P

Welcome to GH. :D
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 08:05:41 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline alvinliang

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 12:51:46 »
Welcome to geekhack
iPhone sucks

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 09:39:01 »
Nice resume! Why not just make your user name "Primary Force"? :P

Welcome to GH. :D

I've been using this username in one form or another for about 20 years, so no need to make another one :)

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 00:04:54 »
Welcome to GH!

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:44:11 »
I need to get some keyboard boxes to keep warehouse dirt out of the large number of keyboards I have.

I went and measured out dimensions of most of the keyboards I have and quantity I need.

Where's a good place to shop for boxes?

Offline MechKey

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 10:05:21 »
I found this from google but don't know if they are the best.

http://www.uline.com/BL_5612/Laptop-Keyboard-Mailers

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:31:52 »
I found this from google but don't know if they are the best.

http://www.uline.com/BL_5612/Laptop-Keyboard-Mailers

Oooh, good catch.   I was looking at uline already for plastic bags to put around keyboards as another possibility.  Some keyboards, while detached from the terminal, don't have a way of being disconnected from the terminal.  So the best you can do there is put a bag around it to protect it.  Also, you can still see the keyboard through the bag, so it has some "visible storage" display value.

Those mailers won't work for all the keyboards I have, however.  They assume the depth of PC style keyboards which are never more than a couple inches.  I have some keyboards that would require a box height of at least 3-4 inches and a VT220 keyboard is really quite wide -- like 22 inches.  Still, this looks like it would be great for the ones that are more typically PC-ish sized.  Thanks!

Offline MechKey

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:21:04 »
You're  welcome!

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:20:32 »
    • I scan lots of content for BitSavers, and publish an RSS feed for new PDF and bits content.

You, sir, is my HotD - Hero of the Day!
    For a retrocomputing enthusiast like me, and also hardware tinker, this is like a goldmine.
    Great project! Awesome content!

So, be welcome to GH.
    Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
    I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
    « Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:19:25 »

You, sir, is my HotD - Hero of the Day!
      For a retrocomputing enthusiast like me, and also hardware tinker, this is like a goldmine.
      Great project! Awesome content!

So, be welcome to GH.

Al Kossow, the software librarian for the Computer History Museum, is the brainchild behind bitsavers and it is a truly awesome resource.  I help out where I can so that Al doesn't have to do everything :)[/list]