Author Topic: Ordered My First Mechanical Keyboard!  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
Ordered My First Mechanical Keyboard!
« on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:28:11 »
I just ordered the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Browns. My good friend NikoGasm, a fellow GeekHacker, turned me on to mechanical keyboards. I decided to get one. It's in the mail. Good choice?
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (lubed)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ordered My First Mechanical Keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:53:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, a good choice for the start of your collection.  Ordered any custom key caps yet? ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:54:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, a good choice for the start of your collection.  Ordered any custom key caps yet? ;)

Not quite yet. But as soon as the dough rolls in you bet I am.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 02:24:11 »
Excellent choice in keyboards. Definitely the best overall value out there right now.

Oh, and welcome to GH :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 02:25:15 »
I just recommend the same keyboard to a good friend of mine.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 03:41:05 »
Excellent choice in keyboards. Definitely the best overall value out there right now.

Oh, and welcome to GH :)

I hope ordered in hopes of having a unbranded one, but regardless I'm excited for it.
Where browns a good choice?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 05:08:57 »
If you haven't tried a mechanical keyboard before, browns are probably a fairly good middle ground to start with.

If you find you like the tactile bump but would like some audible feedback, then you can try blues next.

If you prefer less tactile bump but want stiffer springs, then maybe try blacks next.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 05:34:38 »
If you haven't tried a mechanical keyboard before, browns are probably a fairly good middle ground to start with.

If you find you like the tactile bump but would like some audible feedback, then you can try blues next.

If you prefer less tactile bump but want stiffer springs, then maybe try blacks next.

He's tried my blues several times. Says he hates them. Which is a tad unfortunate, as I do enjoy blues.

Also, welcome to GeekHack, Goliath.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 05:51:43 »
Fair enough, blues are not for everyone.  The tactile bump on browns is often very light, so it might just come down to the stiffness of the springs.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 06:27:58 »
I too have the same keyboard as you :)!

This keyboard really is solid. I can assure you that you are in good "hands" with this keyboard.

If you do fall into the walletsink of novelty addiction... your wallet will suffer! :p

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 12:50:04 »
Its a good board.

And Browns is the master race.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 23:55:53 »
I have two keyboards with blues, one with blacks, one with an old NEC switch (similar to blues), and a browns on order.  Soon I will be able to compare with the browns.

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 11:49:49 »
Browns is the way to go! Im all about browns and the CM storm looked great! love the small size! tell us how you like it soon!

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:52:22 »
Browns is the way to go! Im all about browns and the CM storm looked great! love the small size! tell us how you like it soon!

I should be getting it Friday. I will definitely let you know.

Offline Viz

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 17:32:49 »
Great choice for a starter. This will, as many other said. Be a good middleground between all of the keyswitches.
But beware! One keyboard soon becomes a keyboard collection! ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 18:09:31 »
^ And then a custom key cap collection ...

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 18:37:10 »
^ And then a custom key cap collection ...

Funny that you say that, because all weekend long he was trying to scrounge up the money to order custom keys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:33:53 »
He's gonna blame you for his new state of poverty ;)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:40:02 »
It's come to a point that when either of us want something for our keyboards we have to do some sort of combined effort to come up with splittable money. Such as recycling beer cans. Sooo worth it.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:54:05 »
Welcome to GH!

That's a very nice board. The build quality is excellent and the stabilizers are amazing so you will really enjoy your typing experience. Also the browns are really nice to type on and game as well and long typing sessions for programming or just typing stuff in this forum will not make your fingers tired. Congrats on the board and enjoy it!

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:54:30 »
It's come to a point that when either of us want something for our keyboards we have to do some sort of combined effort to come up with splittable money. Such as recycling beer cans. Sooo worth it.
It is very much worth it. lmao

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:21:27 »

True dedication :)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 12:34:00 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 15:15:15 »

Offline tillertow

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:32:05 »
Mechanical KB's is always a very good choice...you'll never go back to rubber dome :>
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0