Author Topic: First mechanical keyboard purchase... looking for inspiration.  (Read 1846 times)

Offline krylonart

First mechanical keyboard purchase... looking for inspiration.
« on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:10:53 »
Greetings from the beautiful views in the shadows of Pike's Peak. Name is Tim K., currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado but originally from Denver. I have been researching new keyboards on and off for the past year with the intention of replacing my MX5500 with a Logitech G510 originally. While searching for custom mods to the G510, I happened to find a link to the Corsair forums for some of the mods to the Vengeance K90. What especially drew my interest was the photos posted by a Corsair forum user of the keycap collection for GH's own Reaper and Ripper. Although amazing I was going to stick with my plan to get the G510, since it was only $79.99 for BNIB on Newegg compared to the K90's $129.99 retail. That was until I saw the 48 hour specials that Newegg was running yesterday, Corsair Vengeance K90 on sale for $114.99, plus free shipping... along with an additional $17.25 in savings for a grand total of $97.74 shipped out the door. SOLD!!! So suffice to say, I have made my first purchase of a mechanical keyboard. I have yet to receive the keyboard and have already started off my customization efforts by ordering a set of red Q,W,E,A,S,D keys with additional directional arrow keys from Geeky Feng's ebay site. Hopefully within the week I will be ordering the full set of all the Blizzard keycaps as well. My plans upon joining the site are to absorb as much knowledge of the keyboard customization world I have missed out on and create a keyboard worthy of displaying on this site. I already have plans to vinyl wrap the aluminum or have it powdercoated. Want to thank Reaper, his display of keycaps was what sold me on the Corsair K90 over the G510 and pushed me to joining this forum  :eek:. Thanks for having me as a member, I already see this becoming as expensive as some of my other hobbies and collections.

V/R,

Tim K.

P.S. Does anyone know where to find or have a tutorial on how to swap out the LEDs on the K90? Looking to go to a red or white theme to match my PC build in progress.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:18:05 by krylonart »

Offline MechKey

Re: First mechanical keyboard purchase... looking for inspiration.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:57:01 »
THere is one on deskthority.

Offline MechKey

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:57:23 »
ANd welcome to Geekhack!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:08:52 »
Reaper has lured you in ;)

Welcome to Geekhack!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 06:02:06 »
Welcome to GeekHack = D
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers