Author Topic: MKC Aluminum Poker Case Group Buy (Order closed)  (Read 134003 times)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: MKC Aluminum Poker Case Group Buy (Order closed)
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 20:16:55 »
Would one of those work with shine 3s?
No this case is for 60% boards like the Poker, Pure, and GH60.

Offline wonders2002Ok

« Reply #351 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 04:02:30 »
I have just received my case this morning! It's excellent! Thanks feng! Cheers!

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:06:37 »
There's a severe lack of pics from people receiving their cases, share the love!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:30:50 »

I feel bad for not sharing yet. Here are two images of my purple case. The problem is that the case looks blue in the pictures. I guess if I put it on a white background, the purple-ness will be more visible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:32:46 by Latin00032 »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:39:30 »
On the bottom pic you can see that it's purpleish ;)

Looks really good with your Lily set  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:00:44 »
Luckily, there were no scratches on the case and the feet match with no weird marks on it.

I saw some posts here with people who had scratches and bad colors on the feet.

I should have taken a picture of the packaging. It was about one layer of bubble wrap around the case. I think it should have had two or three layers. The box was crushed in appearance when I first got it. I thought the case was going to be really scratched considering the box looked like it went through hell. But, the case survived with no damage.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:33:33 »
Luckily, there were no scratches on the case and the feet match with no weird marks on it.

I saw some posts here with people who had scratches and bad colors on the feet.

I should have taken a picture of the packaging. It was about one layer of bubble wrap around the case. I think it should have had two or three layers. The box was crushed in appearance when I first got it. I thought the case was going to be really scratched considering the box looked like it went through hell. But, the case survived with no damage.

Thanks for sharing, that looks great!

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:59:25 »
So any word??

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:19:24 »
With all the updates coming from the Duck Mini2 and the Hammer case, I'm itching for an update on this case as well.

Any news Feng?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:42:05 »
I've got the first batch on hand for US orders (USPS Priority). Will ship them out this week.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:00:09 »
I've got the first batch on hand for US orders (USPS Priority). Will ship them out this week.

Awesome! Thank you for the fast reply and the update. Sure hope I'm part of the next batch. *crosses fingers*  :)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 13:30:01 »
These will be sent out today via USPS Priority.

36324-0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 15:18:50 »

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:11:27 »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:06:55 »
Mine arrived today.  Unfortunately I'm living at college right now so I can't check it out.  Will post pictures next time I go home.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:41:15 »
@Feng - any tracking numbers for us?

@MKULTRA - did your order come from Feng, or did you go direct?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:22:06 »
@MKULTRA - did your order come from Feng, or did you go direct?
Well I was supposed to be in the first batch which went out over a month ago but MKC screwed up my anodizing and it was darker than it should have been.  Feng ended up getting me a new one and selling the defect case.  I did order direct, however I'm not sure if that impacted anything. 

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 21:07:10 »
Some potatos:

The purple is actually quite deeper than the image feng used for an example. I was surprised at how lovely it looks. For my mine, the screws for the feet do not sit flush against the case on the inside. It's like the holes weren't countersunk properly. I double checked to make sure switch pins weren't touching. Luckily, they weren't but how much the screw heads protrude bothers me a bit. I'll eventually find other screws. I can understand the scratching and imperfection of the case feet. Mine were packaged with the screws and rubber pads. It make sense they would get scuffed up during transit. One of the feet I received was scratched up while the other was perfect.

I would do a comparison with the Hammer poker case ... but this isn't the thread for that. I would say though, I find it to be a difference between night and day :p Anyways, the MKC case is a nice alternative. The purple looks exceptional. Thank you feng!  :thumb:

With Lily Set on a Pure:

Offline Steven

• Formerly lowyatguy
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 21:12:00 »
Some potatos:
Show Image

Show Image

The purple is actually quite deeper than the image feng used for an example. I was surprised at how lovely it looks. For my mine, the screws for the feet do not sit flush against the case on the inside. It's like the holes weren't countersunk properly. I double checked to make sure switch pins weren't touching. Luckily, they weren't but how much the screw heads protrude bothers me a bit. I'll eventually find other screws. I can understand the scratching and imperfection of the case feet. Mine were packaged with the screws and rubber pads. It make sense they would get scuffed up during transit. One of the feet I received was scratched up while the other was perfect.

I would do a comparison with the Hammer poker case ... but this isn't the thread for that. I would say though, I find it to be a difference between night and day :p Anyways, the MKC case is a nice alternative. The purple looks exceptional. Thank you feng!  :thumb:

With Lily Set on a Pure:
Show Image

Wow the deep purple is looking good man, please make some comparison review with the Hammer case, I will be waiting for that :D
LF: Duck Mini V1 aka Duck Poker Case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49840.0
-----------------------------------------------------
KMAC Happy | Hammer Poker Titanium & Silver | Leopold FC660M | FILCO TKL White | Ducky 9008S2 Pink | Ducky 9008G2 Pro Dye Sub | Ducky YOTD

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:33:28 »
Video unboxing with more pictures coming soon! It came in great shape, the only small dent was on one of the feet. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to package the feet along with the screws...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:38:20 »
Some potatos:
Show Image

Show Image

With Lily Set on a Pure:
Show Image

Mmmm a very nice purple!!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:56:32 »
Video unboxing with more pictures coming soon! It came in great shape, the only small dent was on one of the feet. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to package the feet along with the screws...

Show Image

Yay video unboxing! I'll probably be watching it over & over, rubbing my face on the screen, until my case finally arrives  :p
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:27:58 »
Absolutely gorgeous looking case, congrats all

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 07:28:52 »
The unboxing is live!

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2013, 07:36:02 by nathaniel_h »

Offline Steven

• Formerly lowyatguy
« Reply #374 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 07:47:59 »
The unboxing is live!

Ok, so u r the rhinofeed. Very good video quality there man. Did u actually shoot the unboxing video right away u received that?
LF: Duck Mini V1 aka Duck Poker Case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49840.0
-----------------------------------------------------
KMAC Happy | Hammer Poker Titanium & Silver | Leopold FC660M | FILCO TKL White | Ducky 9008S2 Pink | Ducky 9008G2 Pro Dye Sub | Ducky YOTD

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 13:30:47 »
The unboxing is live!

Great video Nathaniel! Your videos are always so well done. Hugely impressed by your work and inspired at the same time. Thank you.

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 16:03:51 »
Both are really nice. I didnt think there was a use for purple until I saw that case and played Saints Row 4  :thumb:

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:08:14 »
Ok, so u r the rhinofeed. Very good video quality there man. Did u actually shoot the unboxing video right away u received that?
Indeed I am, thanks! Yup, I got home from work, saw that it arrived, and immediately started setting up my camera gear. After-all, I would have to wait to open it if I didn't do the unboxing right away. :P

Great video Nathaniel! Your videos are always so well done. Hugely impressed by your work and inspired at the same time. Thank you.
Thanks Mashby, your comment means a lot!

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 08:13:31 »
Ok. For realsies...

When are the rest going out? Can we get any semblance of a timetable here? I'm literally getting ready to move, and I don't want the new resident in my apartment to get the elusive case I've waited for months to receive.

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 19:24:23 »
Ok. For realsies...

When are the rest going out? Can we get any semblance of a timetable here? I'm literally getting ready to move, and I don't want the new resident in my apartment to get the elusive case I've waited for months to receive.

Dude... use USPS's address changer and you should have no problem. (Unless you opted for DHL, I suppose) https://www.usps.com/realmove/

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:45:54 »
Ok. For realsies...

Dude... use USPS's address changer and you should have no problem. (Unless you opted for DHL, I suppose) https://www.usps.com/realmove/

I think a better solution would just be to know when it's going out since it's been literally months.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:37:00 »
Ok. For realsies...

I think a better solution would just be to know when it's going out since it's been literally months.
Feng is the middle man here.  It isn't his fault if MKC isn't communicating.  I literally just got mine and was one of the first to order.  Patience is a virtue.

Offline HorrorStorm

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:54:54 »
Will this GB ever be opened again for orders?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:40:48 »
It's been almost two weeks since you posted that sweet photo of the boxes that were shipping. Any new updates?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #384 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 13:52:04 »
I still have 3-4 cases waiting to ship. I'll ship them out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on these few cases because I got many school stuffs going on this week.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:12:09 »
I still have 3-4 cases waiting to ship. I'll ship them out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on these few cases because I got many school stuffs going on this week.

No worries. Thanks for the update.  :thumb:

Just so eager to get my hands on that gorgeous Claret Red.  :p

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 07:23:15 »
Tracking info received!

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #387 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 15:33:07 »
Unexpected package showed up at work today - imagine my surprise when it turned out to be the MKC case!  The Claret Red is every bit as brilliant and stunning as the sample photos lead me to believe.... will post pictures once I get it home!  :thumb:

*edit: I can spell good!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 07:43:32 »
Unexpected package showed up at work today - imagine my surprise when it turned out to be the MKC case!  The Claret Red is every bit as brilliant and stunning as the sample photos lead me to believe.... will post pictures once I get it home!  :thumb:

*edit: I can spell good!

Mine should arrive today, but I can't wait to see your photos MythicalWagyu.

We have a weird issue with the US Postal Service at my office and it usually takes an extra day, or two for a package to arrive. It's maddening when you know you have goodies being held up due to ineptness.

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:39:57 »
Updated shipping list would be nice.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #390 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:40:30 »
Anyone else having issues fitting a regular Poker into this case?  I think an SMD is hitting the center standoff.  Maybe I'm just dumb (wife would agree), and I can't figure it out.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:28:48 »
My case arrived - Claret Red. It'll be awhile before I get the full gallery up, but here are a few quick picks.

I've put in a Poker X (MX-White) with The_Beast's stainless plate (poker suit) and had no issues installing it. However, after tadbitnerdy's comment, I may put a little electrical tape where the center post is.

There were no scratches, or dings in the case and I'm thrilled with the color. It's a really nice, deep red. Compared to the Hammer 60% that came out about the same time, this case is considerably lighter. I don't think that is a bad thing.  The weight without feet is 307g. The Duck Poker case without brass weights is 956g. I like having a lighter aluminum case for this keyboard, but if you're expecting a super heavy aluminum case, you will be disappointed.

Personally, I like the weight and the design of the case. Without the feet, you have a very flat and low-profile case, with silicon pads to cover up the screw holes. If you like a more angled pitch, then the feet install with a simple screw and in my opinion, really make the design sing. That slight curve on the bottom makes the case appear to float off your desk. When someone walks into my office, they approach my desk from the side and they can take full advantage of the design features. It's really cool.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed by the "sound" of the case. I find the typing experience to be a bit hollow sounding. I'll have to shoot a video to illustrate, but given the thinness of the aluminum, there is some resonance when typing. I wouldn't call it an echo,  but I don't notice this on my other aluminum cases. It could be the center post adding to the sound, I don't know.

This is a minor issue, but one I hope to resolve. With my other aluminum cases, there has been a liner, but this case didn't come with one. I don't expect a thin layer of shelf liner to be a game changer, but it's worth exploring. My plan is to find some matting or padding that I can install in the bottom of the case to help deaden the resonance.  If anyone has any suggestions on what to use, please feel free to throw me a suggestion.

Thank you Feng for putting this group buy together and for all your hard work. I'm completely delighted with the case and would highly recommend the case to anyone looking to get one should there be another round, or if you are lucky enough to find one in the classifieds.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:41:55 »
Thanks for the posts, turned out beautiful.

There were no scratches, or dings in the case and I'm thrilled with the color. It's a really nice, deep red. Compared to the Hammer 60% that came out about the same time, this case is considerably lighter. I don't think that is a bad thing.  The weight without feet is 307g. The Duck Poker case without brass weights is 956g. I like having a lighter aluminum case for this keyboard, but if you're expecting a super heavy aluminum case, you will be disappointed.
Dang, that sucker is light... which might not be a bad thing (I shudder at the thought of trying to lug the Hammer case around in a bag)

This is a minor issue, but one I hope to resolve. With my other aluminum cases, there has been a liner, but this case didn't come with one. I don't expect a thin layer of shelf liner to be a game changer, but it's worth exploring. My plan is to find some matting or padding that I can install in the bottom of the case to help deaden the resonance.  If anyone has any suggestions on what to use, please feel free to throw me a suggestion.
I found the liner is pretty identical to the material used to line the bottoms of kitchen cabinets/shelf (at least the ones I found at Target)

Edit: example below,
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:44:55 by longzilla »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:19:33 »
Thanks for the posts, turned out beautiful.

Dang, that sucker is light... which might not be a bad thing (I shudder at the thought of trying to lug the Hammer case around in a bag)

I found the liner is pretty identical to the material used to line the bottoms of kitchen cabinets/shelf (at least the ones I found at Target)

Edit: example below,
Show Image

That's close to the liner I use.  I get mine from Home Depot for around $4 a large roll, and it comes in various neutral colors (white, beige, gray, and black--maybe more).  Works great for dampening and insulating!
--
That's a beautiful red, mashby :)  Your collection of gorgeous 60% keyboards needs to have its own little museum room!  Or a set of glass display shelves on the walls around your desk.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #394 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:14:59 »
My case arrived - Claret Red. It'll be awhile before I get the full gallery up, but here are a few quick picks.

Thanks for putting some photos up Mashby! I haven't had time to take any at home... tried to take a few with my stupid potato phone but they are kind of terrible as expected.

The white balance on my camera phone sucks something fierce but that is Claret red next to GT-R red for reference.

next to Snap-On red....

and GT-R red again. The anodized aluminum has a really great metallic sheen that changes color slightly depending on lighting conditions - very eye catching!

I don't have any other Alu cases to compare against but it's obviously quite a bit heavier than the stock Poker II case (fully assembled mine weighs in at 758g*) and imo it has a wonderful solid feel without being obscenely heavy; won't be sliding around on my desk accidentally but still isn't cumbersome to carry around (which is good, because it travels with me everywhere!)

*no feet, just the silicon pads - for reference, my full-sized Rosewill weighs in at 1,138g
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:51:02 »
@longzilla and @Photoelectric

I already have some shelf liner exactly like what you suggested. I suppose great minds think alike?  :))  I used it with my Duck Poker case as a liner, so I have plenty left. However, I'm thinking I may need something more than to fill the space between the PCB and the bottom of the case.

That's a beautiful red, mashby :)  Your collection of gorgeous 60% keyboards needs to have its own little museum room!  Or a set of glass display shelves on the walls around your desk.s

You are too kind, but I am looking at some sort of display for my office. Of course I have to finish the projects first!  :p

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #396 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 15:31:23 »
Nice cases fellas. I was going to offer the same suggestion for that casing. I bought a roll for about $2-3 at pottery barn. Good thing I threw it away =/

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:17:05 »
I ended up using some foam that I had another shipment to insulate the center post and also deaden the "hollow" typing sound. It works perfectly.

Foam Closeup by cpkey, on Flickr

I also uploaded the entire set of photos, which can be found here.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #398 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:34:43 »
That looks like nice foam--glad you got the results you're content with :)  Shelf-liner-wise, you can layer more pieces for more insulation.  It's easy to cut and squishes pretty well under pressure.  I'm always on a lookout for better alternatives though!

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 22:02:27 »
Fair enough, I'll figure it out.