Author Topic: Springs, hammers, standard keys for a Model M?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline theferenc

Springs, hammers, standard keys for a Model M?
« on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 18:37:17 »
Does anyone have any spare springs and hammers for a model M kicking around?

I'm also looking for blank number row keys -- not sure if the rows on these are different or not.

I'm looking to do Ripsters ''international'' mod (see my sig) to change to the HHKB type layout, but I need the keys, springs, and hammers to do it, and I don't want to destroy an otherwise perfectly good keyboard to do it. I can't find any "for parts" M's on ebay, either.

My M is my only keyboard that isn't in that layout that I use regularly, and it is starting to drive me nuts. Otherwise, I love the keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Pylon

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 19:31:58 »
You could ask Unicomp. They should be able to sell you blank caps and springs.

The really cool thing about the Model M is that all the key cross sections are the same (for 2-piece caps at least). Handy for people swapping to different layouts (Dvorak, etc.) and what not.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 21:46:10 »
Asking Unicomp is how I ended up with a custom programmed Customizer 101 in my preferred layout. Definitely a nice keyboard, and no messing around with the internals of the M, but the deal I had with the SO was 4 keyboards, 1 per computer, and that is what I have now. 2 BS, 1 ALPS, and my HHKB.

I guess I could call them again and see if I could buy just those things this time. Damn sales people, getting me to spend more money.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:23:29 »
Ripster destroyed a 122 key Boscom at one point; he must have bags full of springs and hammers...
The Brat Prince of COBOL