Author Topic: WHAT IS THIS BULL****  (Read 29000 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: WHAT IS THIS BULL****
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:10:55 »
I think there are far more things you could do that shows you care about the community, rather than a bunch of stuff people could most likely care less about. These aren't incredible 'deals', really.

Showing you care about (and are in touch with) the community means doing something that speaks to their interests more, such as;

1. Running 'GEEK HA CK' SP key packs again
2. Geekhack-related/themed stuff (keyboard sleeves, wrist rests, keycap pullers, etc)
3. Put together a keyboard + gh themed extras, on a monthly basis

I am just throwing a few ideas out there - but the bottom line is, this 'deals' clickbait is a rather thoughtless way of asking for money from the community. If you know this community, you know they
keep money for things that pertain to their hobby - keycap sets, keyboards, etc.

And in all honesty, the community should be run by people who are in-touch with and passionate about the community they are a part of.

quoting for maximum exposure

I would still like a gh themed store

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:16:02 »
I think there are far more things you could do that shows you care about the community, rather than a bunch of stuff people could most likely care less about. These aren't incredible 'deals', really.

Showing you care about (and are in touch with) the community means doing something that speaks to their interests more, such as;

1. Running 'GEEK HA CK' SP key packs again
2. Geekhack-related/themed stuff (keyboard sleeves, wrist rests, keycap pullers, etc)
3. Put together a keyboard + gh themed extras, on a monthly basis

I am just throwing a few ideas out there - but the bottom line is, this 'deals' clickbait is a rather thoughtless way of asking for money from the community. If you know this community, you know they
keep money for things that pertain to their hobby - keycap sets, keyboards, etc.

And in all honesty, the community should be run by people who are in-touch with and passionate about the community they are a part of.

quoting for maximum exposure

I would still like a gh themed store

agreed yo

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:56:04 »
Question: who the hell is going to do the work of running group buys and a merchandise store?
There is a huge difference in the work required between running ads and running a store.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 14:14:54 »
Question: who the hell is going to do the work of running group buys and a merchandise store?
There is a huge difference in the work required between running ads and running a store.

This. While it's also something I'd love to see, that would require having one more hand in the pot organizing and tracking stock, shipping, and not to mention getting paid. I don't know about the rest of you, but i already work 40 hours a week, and the small amount of free time i do have, os spent trying to enjoy time with either family or on here. As much as i would love to offer to run a store, there's no way i or anybody in their right mind would without getting paid.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 14:16:14 »

DT uses Redbubble.  http://www.redbubble.com/about/selling

"We coordinate everything from printing and shipping through to ongoing customer service, giving you more time to focus on creating great art and design (and occasionally watching cat videos on the internet)."

So you could just have people make GH graphics and donate those, donate their own vendor graphics if they want to do that to support GH, etc. It could be a really cool thing for the community.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 14:18:53 »

SO CLOSE

you got rid of the spaces, just get rid of the >> << now

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 15:13:54 »
iMav where is the transparency?

How much money do you need to run this thing?

Pretty sure if you need at least $5 from every dedicated member you could run this web**** without the half assed advertisement. Just go full out header ad or don't do **** at all.

Looks like roughly $440/month: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73331.msg1796270#msg1796270
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 15:14:38 »
Show Image

SO CLOSE

you got rid of the spaces, just get rid of the >> << now

how will I know where to click without the arrows tho

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 15:19:30 »
I see the Amazon referral thing being brought up. Just curious what's the number for doing the affiliate program through Amazon?

Let's say someone used the referral and bought a keyboard for $129.00.

How much of that goes back into GH? Anyone have a link to the actual formula/numbers?
I'd like to know this as well.

Anyways if no one want's to run a geekhack store then just put amazon ads on here. I don't mind amazon I'd sell my soul to them tbh. Amazon if you read this pls hire me

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 21:38:33 »
I actually thought I had malware or something on my computer when I saw this.

It doesn't go at all together with the site.  Why?

The all caps and meme arrows just make it worse.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 21:49:53 »
If it wasn't for the arrows, would anyone have even noticed it?

Like, I didn't even know where the logout button was until I looked at the DEALS button...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 21:59:12 »
i dont mind the deals link in the header but i think the cost for maintenance of the site can be easily achieved by having a dedicated thread for monthly cost and where to donate. there are a couple of times where gh did a donation drive for someone, whatelse for the platform they use to do/advestise those drives.

i think that would be the easiest and lesser work for iMav since mods can help update the info in that thread and just for imav to check if the target has been achieved.
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:20:39 »
i dont mind the deals link in the header but i think the cost for maintenance of the site can be easily achieved by having a dedicated thread for monthly cost and where to donate. there are a couple of times where gh did a donation drive for someone, whatelse for the platform they use to do/advestise those drives.

i think that would be the easiest and lesser work for iMav since mods can help update the info in that thread and just for imav to check if the target has been achieved.

There is one thread that I made. For some reason, there hasn't been any official thread or anything from the mods, admins, or iMav. Which is why it's buried in Off-Topic stickied thread hell.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:24:46 »

There is one thread that I made. For some reason, there hasn't been any official thread or anything from the mods, admins, or iMav. Which is why it's buried in Off-Topic stickied thread hell.

TBH, when that thread was made, we all agreed that it made the point very clear and that's why it was stickied. Not sure why it was never moved from OT to something like Site Announcements and why the team never created one on our own. I'll bring it up.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:43:36 »
If it wasn't for the arrows, would anyone have even noticed it?

Like, I didn't even know where the logout button was until I looked at the DEALS button...

This.  So much this.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 23:08:12 »

sounds about par for the course.  :rolleyes:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 02:00:43 »
Regarding the store, there are numerous keyboard specific outlets, why not use one/couple of them who stock exclusive GH merchandise like keycaps, tees, stickers, posters, etc. GH can then get a commission from those sales. There's plenty of enthusiastic members here to come up with at the very least one item every month. Members can make geekhack branded goods (Doesn't have to super flashy and always showing off the geekhack name, just something that GH will have rights to control sales) which the mods/admins/iMav will then give the go ahead and co-ordinate with their sales partner.

Just a thought.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 21:54:44 »
Keyboard covers, keyboard covers...

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 23:06:29 »
IMAV SAY SOMETHING

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 23:11:59 »

sounds about par for the course.  :rolleyes:

The mods aren't involved in the admin side of the forum, we had no heads up about this deals thing either

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 23:23:52 »
IMAV SAY SOMETHING

Again, you have a problem, you can talk with me directly. 

Not sure what else you want him to say??

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 23:27:29 »
IMAV SAY SOMETHING

Again, you have a problem, you can talk with me directly. 

Not sure what else you want him to say??
why does it have to be through pm? just come discuss it here in the open