Author Topic: 60-75% Keyboard: Need help with planning my first build  (Read 3997 times)

Offline KyoouN

60-75% Keyboard: Need help with planning my first build
« on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 05:29:23 »
Hi there,
so after searching for a long time, I came to the conclusion that the keyboard I want does not exist pre-assembled (or semi-pre-assembled). This has probably to do with my niche requirements, which are:

- ISO(-DE)-Layout(biggest deal-breaker by far)
  - 60-75% (I think 60% or 65% looks better, but I'd also be comfortable with 75%)
  - White-themed (bright colors)
  - Backlight (does not need per-key-RGB)
  - Hotswappable, if possible
  - Zealios 62g v2 switches

The Tada68 ISO is what comes closest. But it comes with keycaps I don't need because I will be ordering these soon, it does not have any LEDs (couldn't find anything on that on the site), and it's not hot-swappable.

I already came to the realization that I'd have to order from China, so forgetting something would add up (in time and potentially money for shipping). That's why I ask here first.

My questions boil down to:

1. I've never soldered in my life. Is getting a cheap solder-station from amazon enough, or do I need more?
2. Which PCBs are there that fulfill my needs? If I can even choose, I'd like to take 65%.
3. What else do I need? LEDs? Something to make the board hot-swappable? A specific case, or does any 65% case do?
4. Where would you recommend me buying all this? I thought either kbdfans or aliexpress directly. (Shipping would be to germany)

Thanks for your answers!
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 05:32:40 by KyoouN »

Offline fpazos

Re: 60-75% Keyboard: Need help with planning my first build
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:11:40 »
Think that these keycaps don't fit a 65-68 you'll probably have problems with the right shift key. Also, all the points you stated depends on the board you buy. Not every board has every requirement nor support ISO. Also the case depends on the board. For example in a gb you'll buy everything together (board and case). Hotswap also depends on the board. Usually cames presoldered.

For example if you are ussing a certain shop they sell both. Board and a couple of compatible cases. Also sometimes you can find compatible cases or boards from other vendors.

Almost every solder is good enough to solder switches to a board but not for soldering other components.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:17:41 by fpazos »

Offline KyoouN

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:38:00 »
Thanks for the answer.

Yeah I just noticed the problem with the right shift key. I'll see what to do about this.

Is there any compiled list of PCBs with info on them? Searching on aliexpress isn't really that great and helpful.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 06:43:38 »
I don't know. For example if you like tada68 if you search for tada68 on kbdfans you'll find compatible cases. Also for the keycaps go for custom sets with extended mods. In kprepublic or mykeyboard.eu you can find some examples

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline KyoouN

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 07:59:13 »
Hmm, I might actually go for the GMMK Compact ISO and paint it white. I can't for my life find even a PCB that has everything that I want
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 08:14:20 by KyoouN »

Offline fpazos

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 08:08:21 »
You could also buy a pink/orange shift key if you are seeking an affordable solution ann use numberpad keys for functions or buy a column on aliexpress/alibaba

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk