geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What ya reading?

<< < (69/71) > >>

fohat.digs:
This one was eye-opening. It is controversial and sometimes probably over the top, but quite enlightening nonetheless.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6072353-jewish-history-jewish-religion

Not a terribly long slog, less than 200 pages.

phinix:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Wed, 13 March 2024, 15:04:12 ---This one was eye-opening. It is controversial and sometimes probably over the top, but quite enlightening nonetheless.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6072353-jewish-history-jewish-religion

Not a terribly long slog, less than 200 pages.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing this one - I will try and find it in my language and buy it. I've read reviews and sounds like a good book to learn a lot about Jewish religion and its history.
Maybe it will help me to understand more that whole war between Jews and Palestinians...

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:06:53 ---
I will try and find it in my language and buy it.

--- End quote ---

It is hard to find. Although he was born in Poland and moved to Palestine in 1945, he wrote the book in English (he had taught Chemistry in the US for several years in the 1960s so he was quite fluent). If you are comfortable in English, that is how you should probably read it. Translations are usually problematic anyway.

phinix:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:56:01 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:06:53 ---
I will try and find it in my language and buy it.

--- End quote ---

It is hard to find. Although he was born in Poland and moved to Palestine in 1945, he wrote the book in English (he had taught Chemistry in the US for several years in the 1960s so he was quite fluent). If you are comfortable in English, that is how you should probably read it. Translations are usually problematic anyway.

--- End quote ---

I don't read in English, so will try and hunt one down in Polish, I've seen some copies on sale on Polish ebay, so will try there.

funderburker:
It's so awesome to see this thread being resurrected from time to time and that - PEOPLE STILL READ!

Since my last post, I've been reading books on happiness, men's initiation rituals and other psychotherapy-related topics to fix up my traumas and turn bad habits and behaviours into good ones that serve me right.

Currently, I'm reading "Build The Life You Want" by Arthur Brooks & Oprah Winfrey. Has some cool nuggets, would recommend if anyone has hard time seeing the good parts of life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version